Silver clasp on Earhart Ribbon

Started by Senior, January 14, 2008, 12:57:44 AM

Senior

When I was a cadet in the late 80's through the early 90's, no I am not that
ancient ;), I think you were allowed to put a silver propeller clasp on your
Earhart Ribbon for completing all phases of the cadet program up to the
Spaatz Exam.   The above information is from memory, and it may be wrong.
I can't find any information in 39-1 to verify that information.  Am I right, or
am I really that ancient and making this up????

AlphaSigOU

From my guide (stickied above in this forum) on the proper wear of CAP ribbons:

QuoteAmelia Earhart Award with Bronze Clasp – Prior to the creation of the General Ira C. Eaker award, this denoted a cadet who completed all achievements in the cadet program, but did not earn the Spaatz Award.

Former cadets who are now senior members and who can show documentation having completed all cadet achievements may be awarded an unnumbered Eaker Award certificate and wear the Eaker ribbon in its place.

If I remember correctly, that instruction was in an earlier revision of CAPR 39-3. I may be wrong, though.

The silver star on the Mitchell ribbon denoting a graduate of Cadet Officer School may be transferred to the highest cadet milestone award ribbon upon succumbing to the 'dark side'.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ctrossen

I'm one of those "not quite that ancient" former cadets as well.

The way I remember it was that it was a silver star, not a clasp, that was authorized on the Earhart Award for completion of Phase IV. I have vague recollections of seeing that in the old CAP News rag, but apparently I never kept the actual documentation on that.

I can tell you that I did wear a silver star on the Earhart as a cadet, and so did the handful of others I knew, at least until they came up with the Eaker. But that was after I "turned." (And if I were to dig out my cadet ribbon rack, or at least what's left after a little bit of cannabalization, the silver star is smack dab in the middle of the ribbon.)

FWIW...
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing