Whoa!!! A 1930s era CAP service CAP!!!

Started by Major Carrales, October 01, 2007, 03:34:31 AM

Major Carrales

This CAP service cap looks a lot like it was someone's US Army service CAP from the 1930s era retrofitted for CAP use.

Note the lime green hue.  I have read reports that say that the color of uniforms from that era varied from a light green/brown to a dark chocolate.

Curious indeed.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

pixelwonk

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on October 01, 2007, 04:01:33 AM
seek help.
please.

Why, I'm a history buff? 

I just think it is odd that someone would place a subdued CAP insignia from the late 1940s on a Service Cap that is from the style of a hat in use in the 1930s.  Plus it beat the endless talk on contemporary CAP uniforms.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 01, 2007, 04:55:13 AMI just think it is odd that someone would place a subdued CAP insignia from the late 1940s on a Service Cap that is from the style of a hat in use in the 1930s. 

I don't think it's actually subdued, rather it's probably tarnished. It would look a lot darker if it was subdued.

You're right on the color variations though. Korea era was an excellent example of how colors differed, and if I recall properly it's when the term "pinks and greens" came into more widespread use.

BillB

Pinks and greens were Wolr WQar II,  Not Korea.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 01, 2007, 04:33:23 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on October 01, 2007, 04:55:13 AMI just think it is odd that someone would place a subdued CAP insignia from the late 1940s on a Service Cap that is from the style of a hat in use in the 1930s. 

I don't think it's actually subdued, rather it's probably tarnished. It would look a lot darker if it was subdued.

You're right on the color variations though. Korea era was an excellent example of how colors differed, and if I recall properly it's when the term "pinks and greens" came into more widespread use.

Notice also that the wings of the CAP eagle also seem to be a bit different, more slightly up lifted. 

Compare...

Yes, it could be tarnished...was this tarnishing consistant with Brass?  By that , I mean, was this originally a "brass" colour?  Bronze?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BillB on October 01, 2007, 04:38:25 PM
Pinks and greens were Wolr WQar II,  Not Korea.

Pinks and greens were still worn during the Korean War; it was not until the mid-to-late 1950s that Army Green was introduced.

Wasn't the WWII CAP service cap insignia different than the one used today?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

I think the present CAP service cap insignia came around in 1952, but I might be off a few years.  BillB?  Help us out?
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 01, 2007, 05:27:09 PMNotice also that the wings of the CAP eagle also seem to be a bit different, more slightly up lifted. 

Most likely an early example. The later ones seem to be less "finished", meaning fewer fancy curves, and the detail isn't as fine. The wings seem to tuck in more on later ones. It's kind of a shame, the older ones had a lot of class to them.

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 01, 2007, 05:27:09 PMYes, it could be tarnished...was this tarnishing consistant with Brass?  By that , I mean, was this originally a "brass" colour?  Bronze?

Probably not, I imagine more like a brass base with a nickel plate or something similar. I've seen a few old military insignia that have turned almost black from tarnish, and if it's pretty consistant across the insignia, it will look like it was made to be black. You can make it shiny again, but it's gonna take some elbow grease  ;) .

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 01, 2007, 06:12:54 PM
I think the present CAP service cap insignia came around in 1952, but I might be off a few years.  BillB?  Help us out?

The WWII Insignia was  a "winged tri-prop..."

Robert Fitz from...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wiggins706/FitzFotos1.htm

Commander
SWR-TX-454

BillB

The upraised wing service hat insignia was in use fro Dec 1942 to Dec 1952 when it was replaced by the eagle hat insignia now in use. The 1953 insignia was oxodized unlike the "brilliant" insignia used today. There was a smaller upraised wing version for female hat that appears to be unauthorized, but I have one.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104