New to the board, but not to CAP

Started by Jerry, July 12, 2005, 06:16:29 PM

Jerry

Hello fellow CAP'ers!

I'm new here, but an "oldie" as far as CAP goes. (I took orientation rides from some of the original Coastal Patrollers).
How many here have been around 30 or 40 years in CAP? :D

As we old grampas get older, we often wax nostalgic for the "Good Old Days" (whatever that was).  I've been working on a project on my own that I think will be unique, celebrate CAP's history, AND generate publicity for my local squadron. I have always been an old car  hobbiest (among my "other activities besides CAP.  Well, years ago when I was a cadet, CAP had M-series Jeeps from WWII and beyond.  They were much fun for us cadets (in those days  a cadet could DRIVE a CAP vehicle with approval of SQ. commander) and seniors alike.

One day I was at a neighboring squadron where, displayed proudly beside the building was a USAF blue M38-A1 Jeep in CAP livery complete with decals as in the days of old!  Of course,  these Jeeps had been disposed in the early 80's, and I had to rub my eyes to see if I were dreaming! Upon inquiring, I found that the Jeep had been purchased by the county and "loaned" to the local unit where it was once again in AF blue!  It is used for public
events, static display, and parades (yes, it RUNS quite well!!) It took me back to the 60's and 70's when we had done many a SAR mission using our squadron's Jeep.

SO.............................................the old mind began spinning and I "thought" I knew where there were some of these Jeeps, and sure enough, there were two--one of which I am certain served with honor in CAP.  There's still a trace of USAF blue under the OD
it had been re-painted to by owner. I ended up with two--one a flat-fender M38, the other an M38A1 that looks similar to today's civilian Jeep. The owner of the two (the flat-fender is the CAP one) died (a long time CAP member) and I purchased them from the estate. The little "flattie" is complete save surface rust suffered when it was  abandoned in his back yard 15 years ago.
The engine turns over and would run if carburetor is rebuilt. Guess where all this is going! ;D

Yep, I plan to fully restore this CAP Jeep and place it back into CAP paint and livery.  There is a whole industry built on rescuing and restoring old Army Jeeps and I see no reason why this can't be done in the case of old CAP equipment that was discarded. I plan to display the Jeep as part of recruiting drives, static displays, air shows, and parades with Cadet color guards. It will, of course, be my personal vehicle. I think it would be a great project to highlight CAP history and attract the public's attention to CAP's contribution and service.  So whaddya think of my idea?

Meantime, the old CAP soldier is sitting downstairs in my garage quietly snoozing awaiting the call to serve once again.

JWO/Lt/Col, CAP

whatevah

welcome!  :)

where are you from?  There are quite a few Jeep associations who would love to help out and work on a vintage Jeep like that.  I'm a member of the Delaware Jeep Association (and I'm wearing the t-shirt ;)), and they do "wrenching parties" all the time.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Jerry

Pylon

Welcome to CAPTalk!  We're glad to have you here; it sounds like you have a lot to contribute.

Keep up informed on the whole Jeep project!   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Slim

Outstanding!  My squadron commander back in the day (1985ish) had an old CAP Willys Jeep that he bought when they were disposed of, and used it as a ground team vehicle on a couple of missions.  That thing was an absolute blast to ride in.

It was complete with AF blue paint, all seats, and air driven wipers (but manual worked better).  No top though, and I remember riding around wearing a poncho in the rain once.

I've also seen pictures of not only a Jeep, but a 3/4 ton weapons carrier that my group had disposed of just before I joined, all in AF blue.

When the time comes, make sure you get some pics posted for us.

I guess it is true.....an old soldier never dies....

Slim

Sqd613

I was a squadron commander in the mid to late 80's.  We had a Kaser M-725 mitary amblance.  Picture a 5200 Lb. machine with all manual operation, including steering and four wheel drum brakes.  Even more fun was the M-37 Dodge we had at group.   

abysmal

Quote from: Jerry on July 12, 2005, 06:16:29 PM
Yep, I plan to fully restore this CAP Jeep and place it back into CAP paint and livery.  There is a whole industry built on rescuing and restoring old Army Jeeps and I see no reason why this can't be done in the case of old CAP equipment that was discarded. I plan to display the Jeep as part of recruiting drives, static displays, air shows, and parades with Cadet color guards. It will, of course, be my personal vehicle. I think it would be a great project to highlight CAP history and attract the public's attention to CAP's contribution and service.  So whaddya think of my idea?

JWO/Lt/Col, CAP

I think that idea is simply GREAT.
What a terrific way of bring back some "Living" history for members and non members alike.
Way to go!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal
I think that idea is simply GREAT.
What a terrific way of bring back some "Living" history for members and non members alike.
Way to go!

I'm sure it will make for an excellent recruiting tool as well as a living history piece.

Jerry

Quote from: Slim on July 19, 2005, 02:19:42 AM
Outstanding!  My squadron commander back in the day (1985ish) had an old CAP Willys Jeep that he bought when they were disposed of, and used it as a ground team vehicle on a couple of missions.  That thing was an absolute blast to ride in.

It was complete with AF blue paint, all seats, and air driven wipers (but manual worked better).  No top though, and I remember riding around wearing a poncho in the rain once.

I've also seen pictures of not only a Jeep, but a 3/4 ton weapons carrier that my group had disposed of just before I joined, all in AF blue.

When the time comes, make sure you get some pics posted for us.

I guess it is true.....an old soldier never dies....

Have you ever gone to a mission in one of those things when it is 15 degrees?  Canvas top, no doors! Now THAT is not fun!

And, btw, I have a photo of our squadron's Jeep from 30 years ago!

Jerry

Pylon

Quote from: Jerry
And, btw, I have a photo of our squadron's Jeep from 30 years ago!

Jerry

Do share the photo!   :)

http://www.captalk.net/photos/