Main Menu

Volunteer Magazine

Started by Private Investigator, February 08, 2015, 05:19:09 PM

Private Investigator

I just got the latest Volunteer magazine featuring articles related to the CGM. Very well done indeed   :clap:

MisterCD

As someone who had to review/edit every single article in that issue and provide a lot of resources to the writers, may I express "thank you" for your praise. It was a team effort, and a lot of fun when the dust settled. There is a special edition coming out as well, with gold foil on the cover.

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 08, 2015, 06:51:50 PM
Why?

To increase circulation.  Special edition magazines can double or triple sales.

Oh, wait...

"That Others May Zoom"

MisterCD

Why?

Part of it is fund-raising based, part of it is for interest. Honestly I do not know the exact particulars, but there is an audience for them and only a small number are being produced.

AirAux

Strangely it did not clarify the December 1, 1941 question...

lordmonar

Quote from: AirAux on February 08, 2015, 08:45:36 PM
What is the question?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on February 09, 2015, 02:15:31 AM
What is the question?

When CAP actually "was"...

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2015, 02:21:10 AM
What is the question?

CAP was in the birthing process for the couple months leading up to Pearl Harbor.  They picked Dec 1st as the official formation date...What's the exact question?  It takes time to assemble a national organization.

Private Investigator

Quote from: JC004 on February 09, 2015, 02:51:53 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 09, 2015, 02:21:10 AM
What is the question?

CAP was in the birthing process for the couple months leading up to Pearl Harbor.  They picked Dec 1st as the official formation date...What's the exact question?  It takes time to assemble a national organization.

^ best answer.  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: MisterCD on February 08, 2015, 08:42:29 PM
Why?

Part of it is fund-raising based, part of it is for interest. Honestly I do not know the exact particulars, but there is an audience for them and only a small number are being produced.

Very true. I am sure it is meant for a higher part of the food chain than the average "six pack shmoe". JMHO   8)

AirAux

I believe that the National Historian clarified that CAP was founded on Dec. 8, 1941, so, in fact Dec. 1, 1941 is inaccurate.  I did argue hard and long for the heritage date, but was roundly over-ridden by the need for integrity 75 years after the fact and the need for all things to in fact, be factual.  Then the Volunteer comes out and there is that pesky Dec. 1, 1941 date again..  Oh, the humanity of it...

Storm Chaser

We can't get too wrapped up around dates because in history, that's not always black and white.

The U.S. Declaration of Independence, for example, was initially approved by Congress on July 2, 1776. The text was ratified on July 4th. However, not all the delegates signed on that date, and some even disputed the July 4th date years later. Many historians accept that the Declaration was created after July 19th and was not signed until August 2nd. Nevertheless, July 4, 1776 is the date on the Declaration and it's considered Independence Day.

Whether the order which founded CAP was issued on December 1 or on December 8, 1941 or even signed at a later date, it doesn't really matter. The intention to create CAP was there, probably much earlier than December 1st. All we need to be concerned with is that December 1st was selected as the official birthday of CAP, even though its creation spanned over a period of time before and after this date.

AirAux

I concur, but I was chastised because the truth was more important than the historical importance of 75 years of mis-information.  It was also noted that no Nazi submarines were harmed in the making of Civil Air Patrol inspite of our so-called heroic, sometimes not so truthful, heritage.. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 10, 2015, 05:15:20 PM
We can't get too wrapped up around dates because in history, that's not always black and white.

The U.S. Declaration of Independence, for example, was initially approved by Congress on July 2, 1776. The text was ratified on July 4th. However, not all the delegates signed on that date, and some even disputed the July 4th date years later. Many historians accept that the Declaration was created after July 19th and was not signed until August 2nd. Nevertheless, July 4, 1776 is the date on the Declaration and it's considered Independence Day.

Whether the order which founded CAP was issued on December 1 or on December 8, 1941 or even signed at a later date, it doesn't really matter. The intention to create CAP was there, probably much earlier than December 1st. All we need to be concerned with is that December 1st was selected as the official birthday of CAP, even though its creation spanned over a period of time before and after this date.

Very good point. /case closed  ;)