who activates us?

Started by kc2ush, June 09, 2009, 08:03:09 PM

kc2ush

what organization activates us like the local police/sheriff or the local fd and is ther an activetion number that the organization would call?

maverik

For a DR mission I believe the rdcross would call the AFRCC and then they would activate us I believe that's how it goes for disasters.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Flying Pig

I do believe it is activated through Mutual Aid Agreements and the State and County levels.  So the numbers would probably vary by location.  For example if a local Sheriff wants CAP for a missing aircraft search, they call for mutual aid at the county level.  And it goes from there.

SJFedor

Quote from: kc2ush on June 09, 2009, 08:03:09 PM
what organization activates us like the local police/sheriff or the local fd and is ther an activetion number that the organization would call?

1) Speak with your chain of command. If you don't know the process, you probably don't need to be asking us, because it sounds like you're trying to market the organization to someone else without knowing what's going on.

2) The National Operations Center (NOC) is responsible for activating assets for most things pertaining to local/state agencies. For us to be activated, we must have a memorandum of understanding with that agency. AFRCC activates us for most missions related to SAR/LOC activities, and 1st Air Force can activate us for other things of national consequence if they see fit to do so.

There's no real reason an agency like a local PD/FD would activate us. Anything they would need, they'd go to the state level or request mutual aid before they came knocking on our door.

So, again, go speak with your chain of command so you don't get yourself in trouble.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SJFedor

Quote from: SARADDICT on June 09, 2009, 08:17:25 PM
For a DR mission I believe the rdcross would call the AFRCC and then they would activate us I believe that's how it goes for disasters.

No.

Federal level disasters are handled by FEMA/DHS, who we have an MOU with, and request us through 1st Air Force, moreso AFNSEP, or directly to the NOC via the MOU. State level events, when the state requests our assistance, go to the NOC or can go to 1AF, depending on whether or not 1AF is interested in it. The only time ARC really gets involved is when they've got time sensitive stuff to be transported and can't do it by normal means.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

jeders

Fedor has it right. For any corporate type mission, the NOC, whose number you should be able to find on the national website, is the activation source. Now the NOC can activate resources without a fully approved mission number if lives are in danger, but it's only valid for a short period of time and must be approved in order for things to continue. However, in all cases, there needs to be some sort of MOU in place before activation.

Any MOU has to be done at the wing level, not below, and this has to do with the fact that Wing Commanders are corporate officers, whereas group and squadron commanders aren't. If you're trying to shop CAP around to the local FD/PD/LEPC types, that's fine, but make sure that whoever you're talking to understands that they have to negotiate an MOU with wing first. Also, read all of the regs concerning operational missions, flying, liability, reimbursement, et al.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

kc2ush

Quote from: SJFedor on June 09, 2009, 08:18:51 PM

1) Speak with your chain of command. If you don't know the process, you probably don't need to be asking us, because it sounds like you're trying to market the organization to someone else without knowing what's going on.

im part of the gt so i thought i would like to know how we get activated thats all  >:(

jeders

Quote from: kc2ush on June 09, 2009, 08:55:18 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on June 09, 2009, 08:18:51 PM

im part of the gt so i thought i would like to know how we get activated thats all  >:(

Nothing wrong with that. However, this is all basic information that should have been presented to you when you got your GES rating.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SJFedor

Don't get me wrong bro, I'm not trying to come down on you or anything. It's just that how you presented it sounded like you were asking for the local PD/FD as to how they'd go about activating us.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.  :)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

kc2ush

Quote from: SJFedor on June 09, 2009, 09:20:42 PM
Don't get me wrong bro, I'm not trying to come down on you or anything. It's just that how you presented it sounded like you were asking for the local PD/FD as to how they'd go about activating us.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.  :)
yea i know im just trying to get it figured out no one told me when i got my ges or gtm3

lordmonar

The long and short of it...is that the NOC is the only ones who activate CAP.

MOUs may spell out a short cut....but they are all supposed to be approved by National and the NOC.

If you get a local/count/state request direct to your squadron or wing direct them to the NOC/AFRCC to issue a mission number.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP