AC Wings is OpsQual?

Started by Panache, September 04, 2014, 09:39:06 AM

Panache

Greetings and salutations.

Does anybody have an idea when the Aircrew Wings will be added to the "Ratings, Awards, and Badges" module of the Operations Qualifications system in eServices?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

Perhaps more important than that would be a revision to CAPR 35-6.

Considering that the IC badges have been around for a couple of years now and they're still not in Ops Quals, it wouldn't surprise me if it took awhile for these new wings to make their way in there.

Eclipse

Which means that despite assertions, they can't be awarded or worn until the reg is updated.

But regs, you know, are just "suggestions" anyway, AMIRITE?

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Since its inception, award of IC badges has never been governed by CAPR 35-6 (although I think it should), so the award criteria specified in CAPM 39-1 is valid. Aircrew wings are a different story.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Para. 10.3.1
CAP Aviation Badges, including Pilot (including Command and Senior), Observer (including Master and Senior), Glider Pilot, Balloon Pilot, Aircrew and Solo are approved for permanent wear when awarded in accordance with CAPR 35-6, Aeronautical Ratings, Emergency Services Patch and Badges, And Ground Team Badges. (emphasis mine)

Since the Aircrew Badge (wings) are not prescribed in CAPR 35-6 as stated in CAPM 39-1 and there's no ICL prescribing its wear either, these wings can't be awarded yet. The NHQ CAP/DO web page is not the prescribing authority for this badge IAW CAPM 39-1.

Eclipse

Meh, details, details.  GIVE ME MAH BLING!

"That Others May Zoom"

GrimReaper

At NESA we were awarded the AC Wings......

Eclipse

Quote from: GrimReaper on September 04, 2014, 04:03:37 PM
At NESA we were awarded the AC Wings......

No doubt, except you can't be, and there's no way for them to be approved in eServices, but other then that, congrats!

"That Others May Zoom"

tkelley004

From the knowledge base, I did ask a follow up question and if your a "current, active" Scanner or above as of the date of the new CAPM 39-1 and the date of the request to be awarded the badge. So if your expired, you have to renew your qualification, but once awarded, they are not removed if you expire.

Air Crew Insignia

Published 06/27/2014 06:04 AM   |    Updated 07/09/2014 02:43 PM   |    Answer ID: 2649
In the new CAPM 39-1 it shows a "Air Crew Insignia" in Attachment 7, pg 139. What are the qualifications to earn/wear this insignia?

Below is the criteria for the Aviation badge.  See CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual 26 June 2014, page 139 to see the badge.

Once the following criteria has been met, a CAPF 2a must also be completed to make you eligible to wear the badge once all of the requirements as listed below are complete.  The approval authority process requires the Aircrew Badge be submitted via CAPF 2a through the chain of command up to the Wing Commander for approval.

The Air crew badge is an aeronautical rating in three levels and may be earned by CAP Cadet and senior members who are qualified to perform specialized airborne tasks such as:

CAP Aircrew Rating
Mission Scanner (MS)
Aerial Digital Imaging System Operator (ADIS)
Airborne Photographer (AP)
ARCHER Operator (ARCHOPR)
ARCHER Trac Technician (ARCHTRK)
Geospatial Information Interoperability Exploitation Portable Operator (GIIEP)
Surrogate Unmanned Aerial System Green Flag Sensor Operator (GFSO)
Highbird Radio Operator (HRO)

CAP Senior Aircrew Rating: (basic badge with star)
1) Meet CAP aircrew rating requirements.
2) Have been an active flying CAP mission scanner for 3 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 100 hours certified flying time as CAP MS, ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO.
4) Qualified as an ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO

CAP Master Aircrew Rating: (basic badge with star and wreath)
1) Meet requirements for CAP senior aircrew rating.
2) Have been an active CAP mission scanner for 5 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 200 hours certified flying time as a CAP MS, ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO.
4) Have a minimum of 20 sorties as a CAP ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO on actual missions.
Tim Kelley, Lt Col, CAP
Bellingham Composite Squadron
Retired USAF SMSgt

Eclipse

Seriously, is it that hard to just do things right?

Just update the reg and the system and >then< release the new insignia instead of doing everything piecemeal.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

It wouldn't be hard at all. At a minimum, NHQ should post an ICL until they can properly update the reg. Updating Ops Quals shouldn't be hard either, as I suspect it would use the same business rules as other wings/badges currently in the system.

JeffDG

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 10, 2014, 08:03:39 PM
It wouldn't be hard at all. At a minimum, NHQ should post an ICL until they can properly update the reg. Updating Ops Quals shouldn't be hard either, as I suspect it would use the same business rules as other wings/badges currently in the system.

Especially since the current wings/badges rely entirely upon approvers to check the requirements...can't tell you how many GTM3-Ts have submitted for Master GT badges that made it to Wing for approval.