Where WV GT Members Wearing Proper Clothing for Weather Conditions?

Started by RADIOMAN015, April 28, 2010, 10:48:55 PM

RADIOMAN015

Please refer to page 40 of the most recent "Volunteer" magazine.
http://www.capvolunteernow.com/media/cms/Volunteer_Apr_May_Jun_mag_MED_LOW_583C8A758FC2E.pdf

First I'd like to give a saluate to all the WV members that participated in the rescue of those personnel :clap:

HOWEVER, in looking at this picture, it appears to me that the individual is wearing either regular black boots or jungle boots, and not a boot that would be applicable for the weather conditions (snow).  What do others think about that picture and the type of booth being worn ???

I know in our squadron our ES Officer (a very experienced hard core hiker, with 35+ years of hiking & wilderness experience) and I have specifically discussed "show uniforms" versus "safe uniform/clothing" for weather conditions, and basically came to the conclusion that there's very few GT members that have the proper clothing for harsh weather conditions, especially footware requirement.  BTW I would include myself in that assessment of really not being ready for harsh weather conditions (that's why I like the warm radio room at mission base  ;D ).

It's really great for wings to think they have a lot of GT capability BUT IF you were to go just by the CAP compliance checklist, it is far from reality of what a GT team member needs (who likely would be called out because of harsh weather) due to conditions that grounded aircraft.

RM 

RiverAux

Depends on how big his feet actually are.  Those boots might have a whole lot of insulation covering up tiny feet.  So, can't really say from just a photograph. 

Personally, I wouldn't be out in the snow in my normal plain-leather boots. 

But, there are plenty of black winter boots that are out there that would meet both CAP standards and be safe for extreme cold weather.  So, its not like its a one or the other choice.

Pylon

I have a pair of mil-spec black leather boots with the thinsulate linings and the orange thinsulate booties that I've worn, in the snow, for entire weekends while camping outdoors.  The right equipment exists so that you can both be in uniform and be safe.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

lordmonar

If you can tell the difference between regular combat boots and Cold Weather Combat boots in that photo you have a better eye them mine!

Looks good to me...one would assume that the GTL or GBD insured everyone was properly equiped before sorting the team.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP