Main Menu

OTY Awards

Started by yolo, November 20, 2018, 01:58:25 AM

yolo

Hey Guys,

Someone recently nominated me for an OTY award, and I saw them do it. Will I get an email saying they did so? Also, what happens afterwards? Does wing just sort through or do they call you for a review board or drill test etc.

Thanks,
C/TheMeepMan

MSG Mac

When I was the Wing DP. we would assemble an Awards review Board to evaluate each candidate in every category.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Every wing is different, you may never hear anything about it either way.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

You will only get an email if they manually type one out to send to you; it's not automated.

If they sent it on paper, there's no record of the nomination aside from that paper. If they entered it into eServices, eServices will show them that they nominated you (you won't see anything), and whatever the status is (approved, denied, or pending). If approved, eServices awards will log on your profile. If denied, you'll never see anything.

This is why I'm a big advocate of telling someone that they're being nominated for an award (aside from surprise situations). Even if they don't receive the award, you're still halfway there with showing them that people do recognize their work; substitute it then with an unofficial certificate made at the local level.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 20, 2018, 06:35:52 PM
This is why I'm a big advocate of telling someone that they're being nominated for an award (aside from surprise situations). Even if they don't receive the award, you're still halfway there with showing them that people do recognize their work; substitute it then with an unofficial certificate made at the local level.

+1 There's no reason the submission narrative can't go in their electronic personnel file.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2018, 06:50:56 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 20, 2018, 06:35:52 PM

+1 There's no reason the submission narrative can't go in their electronic personnel file.

If the unit even uses electronic personnel files...

I haven't seen my own "official" file since shortly after I joined. I have no clue what I'd find if I went into the file cabinet to pull it out.

This is exactly why I keep tabs on my own shtuff...

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 25, 2018, 03:38:09 AM
I haven't seen my own "official" file since shortly after I joined. I have no clue what I'd find if I went into the file cabinet to pull it out.

Time to go check it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2018, 03:43:22 AM

Time to go check it.
+1!  I review mine every year, around the date of joining.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2018, 03:43:22 AM

Time to go check it.

I know what I'll find...or, more so, what I won't find...

I don't even think anyone is updating personnel records at our unit. I'm going to make that a trip at this week's meeting: to go visit the file cabinet.

Eclipse

^ This goes to how much "value" the SUIs actually bring to the table.

Personnel records make up a lot of the background noise of the inspections,
between file plans, F45s, etc., etc., but I've never seen an inspector actually
look at them beyond confirming they exist to see if they are correct, which is
why there are a >lot< of empty jackets laying around.

Wing and Group PDOs and Personnel Officers ought to be doing spot checks
on records, not to mention pushing everyone electronic.

The flip side is that a lot of members can't be bothered, either, until they are
call out out on something "shiny" and can't prove it.

During my last tour as CC, I made it a point to "fix and catch-up" people on their
records - hoping to have all members with electronic personnel files that match their shirts.

As always the involved and engaged ones stepped up and made it happen, and a few couldn't be bothered.
At some point, "if it's not important to you, it's not important...".

With just about everything being in eServices now (in one way or another), this issue will slowly evaporate
along with the members who won't bother, but it still rankles me that an organization that is so hyper-focused
on the shiny takes zero-effort to insure personnel files are correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on November 26, 2018, 04:27:31 PM
^ This goes to how much "value" the SUIs actually bring to the table.

Personnel records make up a lot of the background noise of the inspections,
between file plans, F45s, etc., etc., but I've never seen an inspector actually
look at them beyond confirming they exist to see if they are correct, which is
why there are a >lot< of empty jackets laying around.

Wing and Group PDOs and Personnel Officers ought to be doing spot checks
on records, not to mention pushing everyone electronic.

The flip side is that a lot of members can't be bothered, either, until they are
call out out on something "shiny" and can't prove it.

during my last tour as CC, I made it a point to "fix and catch-up" people on their
records - hoping to have all members with electronic personnel files that match their shirts.

As always the involved and engaged ones stepped up and made it happen, and a few couldn't be bothered.
At some point, "if it's not important to you, it's not important...".

With just about everything being in eServices now (in one way or another), this issue will slowly evaporate
along with the members who won't bother, but it still rankles me that an organization that is so hyper-focused
on the shiny takes zero-effort to insure personnel files are correct.

Some of this goes to the lack of full record keeping in eServices, and why decorations don't necessarily automatically interface with achievements on one's profile. eServices likes to log your training but doesn't keep a record, per se, of the associated decoration. And self-tracking only works with people that take the time to actually do it.

Really, if I went into someone's eServices profile, I should be able to match it to whatever is in their paper record.

I totally agree with you on the part of electronic record keeping. To me, it's a must. That said, I have zero to do with our unit's records, and I'm thankful for that.