New Squadron Comms Officer

Started by KC3CTT, August 14, 2018, 03:46:46 AM

KC3CTT

I joined almost a year ago as a Cadet Sponsor member and in June upgraded to full member in order to assist with MedOps during Encampment, (I'm a nurse and formerly an EMT). Shortly after Encampment my Squadron Commander designated me as Comms Officer and I couldn't be happier about it, (I'm also an Amateur Radio Operator).

I completed ICUT through OP2, got signed off and then completed my T10 and received a CAP Call Sign. A mobile rig was setup at home to function as a base station a couple of days ago in order to participate in local VHF nets.

While reading a recent post about an ELT beacon being monitored by a CAP pilot there was mention of monitoring CAPGUARD which is a practice that will now be adopted.

Are there any other suggestions/recommendations for daily operation?

The Comms Officer Specialty Track packet has been downloaded and I will be pursuing my Technician rating. Obtaining my MRO is certainly a goal as is participating in SAREX's and other E.S. activities.

Any constructive input on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

arajca

As a Communications Officer, you can administer the ICUT practical test. Familiarize yourself with the ICUT test materials on the Communications Library. You'll find the link to the Communications page at the bottom of the Eservices page.

Keep track of your unit's comm gear, especially the ISRs.

Talk with your group and/or wing DC to see what procedures they have in place. If you can be available on a regular basis, consider becoming a Net Control Station after becoming familiar with how your nets operate.

If you have excess equipment, let your wing DC know. They may have a need for it at other units.

EFJ mobiles with serial numbers starting with 5317MD are not capable of doing encrypted communications, but they can do digital.

BoxGranch

Could you point to the regulation that allows the comm officer to do ICUT? I have heard otherwise, but it would be very helpful if out technician rated comm officer could administer ICUT.

Thanks!

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: BoxGranch on August 18, 2018, 12:44:28 AM
Could you point to the regulation that allows the comm officer to do ICUT? I have heard otherwise, but it would be very helpful if out technician rated comm officer could administer ICUT.

Thanks!

CAPR 100-1:
Quote5.2.3. Communications staff member recorded in eServices at any level, including cadets, may serve as mentors/evaluators. All mentors/evaluators must have completed ICUT and Skills Evaluator Training (SET) before they may supervise performance of skills and procedures of ICUT students. The mandatory standardized checklists and guidelines for mentors/evaluators may be found by qualified evaluators in the Communications section of eServices.

audiododd

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 18, 2018, 02:26:39 AM

Thanks!

CAPR 100-1:
Quote5.2.3. Communications staff member recorded in eServices at any level, including cadets, may serve as mentors/evaluators. All mentors/evaluators must have completed ICUT and Skills Evaluator Training (SET) before they may supervise performance of skills and procedures of ICUT students. The mandatory standardized checklists and guidelines for mentors/evaluators may be found by qualified evaluators in the Communications section of eServices.

As the Assistant Comm Officer, as soon as my SET exam result posted in eServices, I was eligible to evaluate ICUT.  In fact, our cadet Comm Officer typically takes care of the cadets ICUT.
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

KC3CTT

This is great information and I appreciate the time taken to reapond, its going right onto my Comms Officer plan.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: audiododd on August 18, 2018, 05:08:41 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 18, 2018, 02:26:39 AM

Thanks!

CAPR 100-1:

As the Assistant Comm Officer, as soon as my SET exam result posted in eServices, I was eligible to evaluate ICUT.  In fact, our cadet Comm Officer typically takes care of the cadets ICUT.

Assistant Communications Officers are considered members of the Communications Staff.

Once you complete SET, and have ICUT for a year, you can start conducting ICUT evaluations once you are assigned to a Communications duty position in eServices.

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 19, 2018, 04:49:25 PMOnce you complete SET, and have ICUT for a year, you can start conducting ICUT evaluations once you are assigned to a Communications duty position in eServices.

You do not need a year of experience after achieving ICUT before you can be an evaluator. ICUT is not an ES specialty and the language from CAPR 60-3 does not apply.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on August 19, 2018, 11:13:51 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 19, 2018, 04:49:25 PMOnce you complete SET, and have ICUT for a year, you can start conducting ICUT evaluations once you are assigned to a Communications duty position in eServices.

You do not need a year of experience after achieving ICUT before you can be an evaluator. ICUT is not an ES specialty and the language from CAPR 60-3 does not apply.

*sigh*

Looks like I need to have a chat with our Comms Officer...

Brad

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 19, 2018, 11:22:50 PM

*sigh*

You also might want to point your Communications Officer to the report in eservices that actually specifies who is a qualified ICUT evaluator. Reports -> Operations Qualifications - Reports -> ICUT Completion Report. If the name is listed as being an instructor, that's it, period, as it updates automatically from eservices. If the name is not listed as an instructor, it will tell you one or more reasons why.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Brad on August 25, 2018, 07:00:13 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 19, 2018, 11:22:50 PM

*sigh*

You also might want to point your Communications Officer to the report in eservices that actually specifies who is a qualified ICUT evaluator. Reports -> Operations Qualifications - Reports -> ICUT Completion Report. If the name is listed as being an instructor, that's it, period, as it updates automatically from eservices. If the name is not listed as an instructor, it will tell you one or more reasons why.

Tracking.

We resolved it internally.

PHall

One thing to remember as a Ham Radio Operator operating CAP radios. Different rules apply.
Many things hams do are just not allowed when operating CAP radios. Try not to be "that guy"...

KC3CTT

Understood. It is quite a different method of operating compared to Amateur Radio but not entirely new to me. I'm also former Army Signal Corps (granted that was 30+ years ago). Thanks for the reminder, much appreciated.
Quote from: PHall on August 27, 2018, 05:02:02 PM
One thing to remember as a Ham Radio Operator operating CAP radios. Different rules apply.
Many things hams do are just not allowed when operating CAP radios. Try not to be "that guy"...