Main Menu

Air University

Started by dholden, April 02, 2018, 01:25:36 AM

dholden

Not sure where to find out exactly what I'm permitted to enroll in as a CAP member at the Air University.  I'm most interested in the GEM, associates level, community college programs. How do I find out what my tuition cost is and eligibility?

I can see that 'civilians' can enroll in GEM, but other details are lacking like what it will cost.

Any ideas?

Eclipse

CAP is not eligible to participate in anything except what is indicated here:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/cap-university/au-a4-6-students-usaf-dl/

"That Others May Zoom"

Fester

Anyone ever seen/heard of NHQ issuing a waiver for the Bachelor's Degree requirement?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Lord of the North

Since the requirement for the Bachelor's degree is a requirement of AU and not NHQ, I doubt that NHQ could give a waiver of the requirement.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2018, 01:48:05 AM
CAP is not eligible to participate in anything except what is indicated here:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/cap-university/au-a4-6-students-usaf-dl/

There is a phone number for Professional Development in that link. Call and ask.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

kwe1009

There is no education waiver for AU courses.  They are accredited and it is part of their accreditation.

MSG Mac

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 02, 2018, 04:09:21 PM
There is no education waiver for AU courses.  They are accredited and it is part of their accreditation.

I was refering to the fact that if you have a question to call the number listed in the post to inquire about the GEM Course-whatever that is.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

OldGuy

IIRC there was a time when that requirement was not in place. And then Pineda happened.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cicero on April 02, 2018, 04:42:19 PM
IIRC there was a time when that requirement was not in place. And then Pineda happened.

The enforcement of an existing standard for Air University courses was in no way connected
to the issues surrounding HWSRN.

The word was that AU wasn't vetting the standard because no one in the military would be able to apply
without the proper prerequisites, and no one was checking CAP members, which made up a very small number
of registrations each year.

There were also some non-CAP specific issues around CAP members who were also USAF or other NCOs receiving
military credit for classes they would not normally be able to have access to, but that isn't a CAP problem, per se.

"That Others May Zoom"

MHC5096

I was one of those anomalies.  ;D

Took SOS as an AF SSgt/CAP Capt, ACSC as an AF TSgt/CAP Major and AWC as an AF MSgt/CAP Lt Col.

My study group for AWC was a group of ANG O-5s that included my commander at the time.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

OldGuy

Quote from: MHC5096 on April 02, 2018, 05:50:50 PM
I was one of those anomalies.  ;D

Took SOS as an AF SSgt/CAP Capt, ACSC as an AF TSgt/CAP Major and AWC as an AF MSgt/CAP Lt Col.

My study group for AWC was a group of ANG O-5s that included my commander at the time.
Everything else being equal, I wonder if there ought to be a waiver system in place? Would that enhance the Total Force ecosystem or not?

Eclipse

Quote from: Cicero on April 02, 2018, 05:56:12 PM
Everything else being equal, I wonder if there ought to be a waiver system in place?
It's essentially irrelevant, regardless.  It was a nice to have for a very small group of members
who participated either as a resume enhancement or a path to promotion in lieu of CAP PD.

The relevence of those classes was and is questionable, at best, in a CAP context.

Quote from: Cicero on April 02, 2018, 05:56:12 PM
Would that enhance the Total Force ecosystem or not?

"Total Force" does not include Professional Development.  It only applies during AFAMS.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Maybe. I think the more actual opportunities we can expose members too, the greater our retention will be. YMMV.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cicero on April 02, 2018, 06:11:37 PM
Maybe. I think the more actual opportunities we can expose members too, the greater our retention will be. YMMV.

In my experience the availability, or lack thereof, of AU classes was and isn't a retention factor
of any consequence.

Even when they were available to the general membership, you still needed to be at a level
where your commitment is likley to not hinge on a DL class.

Sure there may have been a handful of CFI-Captains who sought it out despite limited local involvement,
but for AWC and AC&SC, you need(ed) to already be an FGO, which is already an 8-10+ year commitment
with some fair involvement both local and outside the squadron, not likely to be significantly effected
by the availability of a largely irreverent correspondence course that takes 6 months to complete.

I do personally know a couple of Majors who will be perma-gold bottle caps in 4 months because their
lives don't have the flexibility for RSC, and since they don't have a degree can't take an equivalency
online even though some of their peers did before the enforcement changed, but they aren't likely
to quit over that, they will just espouse their legitimate sour-grapes anytime anyone asks.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

I looked up the GEM Course. It's actually done through the University of Maryland-University College. No need to be a member of the USAF. Contact them directly for costs and other information.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 02, 2018, 10:48:48 PM
I looked up the GEM Course. It's actually done through the University of Maryland-University College. No need to be a member of the USAF. Contact them directly for costs and other information.

The one I found says you have to be a service member - looks to be a way to knock out generic credits
remotely.

http://www.umuc.edu/military-and-veterans/transfer-credits/air-force-gem-program.cfm

"That Others May Zoom"