Getting copies of certificates?

Started by killion1506, March 30, 2018, 07:13:39 PM

killion1506

Does anyone know how a person would go about getting copies oc their certificates? I'm looking for thinvs like my GTM2 certificate, as well as things like an old life-saving, SAR Find ribbon, that kind of stuff? I never got mine when i was in CAP and would like to have them if its possible.

Eclipse

GTM2 certificate?  That must have been a local thing, same with Find ribbon.

Lifesaving would have to come from NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

killion1506

So the local squadron should have the paperwork approving find ribbons and badge awards?

Eclipse

Quote from: killion1506 on March 30, 2018, 07:17:17 PM
So the local squadron should have the paperwork approving find ribbons and badge awards?

Not necessarily.

If you left more then 5 years ago, that exceeds the retention mandate for terminated members.

If you left less then 5 years ago, they may still have your file, but the majority of badges
and ES quals have been done in eServices longer then that, with no need for any physical
paper.  At least in my wing, finds are credited via a Mission Personnel Authorization which
is sent to the members and inconsistently posted (over the years) on the wing web page.

So what they ever had is iffy at best, and to my knowledge there have never been any
official certificates (at least in the last 20 years) for ES quals or finds, though I know a lot of
units like their Printshop and make something locally.  Those aren't likely to be readily available.

"That Others May Zoom"

killion1506

Lol, well that kinda sucks. Thank you for the info.

SarDragon

Which wing were you in? If CAWG, PM me, and I'll see what I can find in olde emails.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shawn W.

From my own experience and what I recommend to others, especially new members; make or get copies of the important records. I always maintain 3 copies of any promo request, award action, participation letter, etc.. I put one in my file at my squadron, I keep a hard copy at home and I keep a digital copy on a hard drive.

Something else I have learned is not to depend too heavily on your Squadron to put things in your files.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

MSG Mac

Life saving Award is processed at Wing Level. Check with them on that.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member