Is there an ICS tool that pre-fills common data across all sheets?

Started by Holding Pattern, August 25, 2017, 10:12:43 PM

Holding Pattern

Filling out paperwork is annoying. Has anyone attacked this particular problem yet?

arajca

I know there used to be. If I recall, I got it off the USDA or EPA website, but it's been many, many moons ago.

sardak

The only one I know of is in Excel. Here is the link to the most recent version (4 May 2017) of the original. It's locked to prevent editing the sheets, but a search will find versions that are unlocked, or you can try to do it yourself.

http://www.texasimt.com/Forms/ICSforms.htm

Mike

ctrossen

Quote from: sardak on August 25, 2017, 10:59:52 PM
http://www.texasimt.com/Forms/ICSforms.htm

+1

*BEST* IAP tool out there, IMHO, though with these caveats:

1. It's not designed for spreading the workload - you can't easily have multiple staff enter/work on their own forms/parts of the IAP. This is best used when you have a Planning Section with a few people in it, one of whom (DOC-L, Asst PSC, Excel Guru, etc.) can copy-paste from electronically filled forms or who can enter info from hand-filled versions.

2. Because of that,  use this either when you have a large incident/large staff or a very small one. If you need all (or most) of the ICS forms, then go ahead and use this tool. Likewise, if you only need a 201 for a small incident (I use this all the time to build and upload the plan for mission approval in WMIRS). On the other hand, if you have a training exercise where you're trying to teach people how to use the ICS forms, this really is best used to simply print blank (or partially pre-filled) forms.

3. This is GREAT for keeping pre-canned IAPs for events/incidents that either recur or happen at the same location. I've got med plans, safety plans and parking plans for the four or five locations we use over and over the most in the wing, plus 204s for common taskings. GREAT for reducing workload when you're trying to push out the initial IAP while still getting things organized.

4. It is VERY All-Hazards oriented. Or, put another way, it is a very generic tool. It's not designed specifically for us in CAP, or for SAR, or whatever. It is a one-size-fits-most tool (just as ICS and the FEMA-produced forms are in general). So that means if something doesn't quite work or fit, then use the ICSF200 and create a page/info graphic that does. (What's an ICSF200 you ask? One of my favorite tools I learned about in my many FEMA ICS/NIMS classes - a blank, lined piece of paper. The place where you paste all of the maps and graphics that don't fit elsewhere, and where you list those SPINS for uploading images or filing for reimbursement.)
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing