Main Menu

SUI for New Unit

Started by ♠SARKID♠, May 20, 2019, 09:05:36 PM

♠SARKID♠

I have some members in my group that just left their unit and reactivated an old charter. Now, only a month and a half-ish into their existence, they are getting notified that they are due for their SUI. One would expect that they wouldn't get inspected until two years after their charter date; they have hardly been around long enough to generate anything to inspect.

Has anyone had this issue or heard of it happening elsewhere? CAPR 20-3 is completely moot on the point of new units. I'm trying to find some precedence to take to the inspection team on whether they should be inspected or not. eServices certainly seems to thing they should, and will likely go through with the non-compliance ban hammer if there's no intercession.

Eclipse

Obviously this is ridiculous.

The likely cause is that, depending how "old" the charter is / was,
it was in the system, hasn't been inspected because it was dormant, and re-activating it has
turned on the SUI alerts.

Something which should be easily adjusted by NHQ once notified as such.

Beyond that, you could just sit for the inspection and move on.  Deficiencies noted would
have had to be fixed at some point, new or not, and at the end of the day, no one cares about the grades.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

TBH I'd say comply and submit a stack of (nearly) empty documents.

Everything referring to prior years? N/A.
Plans submitted by suspense date prior to charter creation? N/A.
etc.

At the very least it becomes a one man operation for the SUI, you get a good reminder of the upcoming suspense items, and you can close things out quickly.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I had a similar issue with a reactivation of a charter in RI Wing. I adjusted the SUI date in eServices with a note of the start date of the "new" unit.

Have them talk to their Wing IG about the issue.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on May 20, 2019, 11:57:17 PM
Have them talk to their Wing IG about the issue.

I have. I'm trying to find precedent to save the headache.

Pace

Alternatively, you can jump through the red tape now so you know what to expect as you move forward and are able to stay in compliance. Just another way to look at it since so much of SUIs are systems related.
Lt Col, CAP

PHall

I agree with the above. Just go ahead and do the inspection. You won't have much for them to look at, it's good practice and it will reset the inspection clock.
And it's the easiest option to do.

ZigZag911

Work with your wing IG, who may need to contact the region IG or National deputy IG for inspections.

This is either a clyrical or computer error. No one wants to put a newly chartered unit through an SUI. It risks demoralizing the members.

♠SARKID♠

The unit is going to roll with the SUI. All the unit's members have been in CAP for decades, it's nothing they haven't done a dozen times before.

Is what it is, sometimes you just can't beat city hall.