Main Menu

Lifesaver ribon?

Started by Jfinouye, October 26, 2014, 06:36:15 PM

Jfinouye

Hello i am a cadet senior airman and also a life guard during the summer. I have had to jump in to save people and i was wondering if that would qualify me for the lifesaver ribbon. If so how would i apply for it?  Thank you.

MIKE

Generally speaking... if the act was in the performance of duty (you are a life guard on duty) it should not qualify.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

+1 - Regardless, you don't "apply" for it.  If an act rose to the level of "lifesaving" and your commander or
another appropriate senior member feels you ae worthy of a decoration, they need to write a detailed narrative,
to include witness statements and other relevent information and submit it attached to a CAPF120 and submit it
up the chain for consideration.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

And it's called the "Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving". A lifesaver is a tasty candy....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Flying Pig

Quote from: Jfinouye on October 26, 2014, 06:36:15 PM
Hello i am a cadet senior airman and also a life guard during the summer. I have had to jump in to save people and i was wondering if that would qualify me for the lifesaver ribbon. If so how would i apply for it?  Thank you.

Typically no, absent some extenuating cirumstance. CAP members who are paramedics, EMT, cops, fireman, nurses, where  these acts considered "routine" is not the intent of the medal.  Let's face it, we have loads of members who are paramedics in their day job, they aren't getting life saving medals everytime the set an IV   As a SrAmn, and a lifeguard... Im assuming you are probably 16ish?  What a great way to start your life out. Welcome to public safety.... Now get back to work. :)

Johnny Yuma

You were getting paid to rescue, or was included in your job duties, so no.

Otherwise we'd have CAP members who were EMT/paramedics with 20 pounds of bling on their ribbon.

FWIW - It's difficult to get. I know of one cadet who was put in for a SMOV with endorsements from his local fire chief and sheriff for helping get several of his neighbors out of their burning house. NHQ came back with a single lifesaving award.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

MSG Mac

Read the requirements in CAPR 39-3
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NorCal21

I disagree with other posters. Why wouldn't you be given the medal?

Someone said as a lifeguard you are getting paid to save lives so you shouldn't receive the medal. I disagree.

A soldier is awarded the Combat Action Ribbon when serving in combat.

As a Marine it is my job to defend this country against all enemies. I was given the National Defense Medal upon graduation from boot camp for doing the job that I get paid to do.

The point is that just because your job is to watch over people in a pool or beach setting doesn't mean that you'll actually ever be in the situation of saving someone's life let alone actually perform the action. By the way, the vast majority of a lifeguard's duties have very little to do with saving someone's life.

Keyboard Warrior

I also disagree with the requirement that the actions not be conducted in the context of employment with a rescue agency.  Especially with the last line which reads "All previous criteria and wear instructions no longer apply."  However, that does require proving that your actions constituted a save.  This is incredibly difficult to do.  Essentially, you have to get a physician who treated the patient whose life you saved to certify that the patient you saved would be dead absent your actions.

However, physicians, in general, will not give out such certifications, as doing so would violate HIPAA (a big Federal Law that has clauses related to patient confidentiality, amongst other things).  In order for it to not violate HIPAA, you would have to get a waiver signed by the patient that says that they consent that the aforementioned physician can release the information saying you saved that patients life.  But physicians are also very nervous about being sued for HIPAA violations, and will need to have the release form be approved by their attorney.  But attorneys are expensive and have more important things to do.  And after that, assuming that all those people magically decide to go along with this, it still has to be approved by the chain of command, which isn't guaranteed.

So long story short, if you rescued a person from drowning, you would qualify in theory for the award, paid or not.  But in practice, getting the documentation for it is a non-starter.
Keeping script kiddies out by day; filling out endless paperwork by night.

LSThiker

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on October 30, 2014, 09:58:55 PM
I also disagree with the requirement that the actions not be conducted in the context of employment with a rescue agency.  Especially with the last line which reads "All previous criteria and wear instructions no longer apply."  However, that does require proving that your actions constituted a save.  This is incredibly difficult to do.  Essentially, you have to get a physician who treated the patient whose life you saved to certify that the patient you saved would be dead absent your actions.

However, physicians, in general, will not give out such certifications, as doing so would violate HIPAA (a big Federal Law that has clauses related to patient confidentiality, amongst other things).  In order for it to not violate HIPAA, you would have to get a waiver signed by the patient that says that they consent that the aforementioned physician can release the information saying you saved that patients life.  But physicians are also very nervous about being sued for HIPAA violations, and will need to have the release form be approved by their attorney.  But attorneys are expensive and have more important things to do.  And after that, assuming that all those people magically decide to go along with this, it still has to be approved by the chain of command, which isn't guaranteed.

So long story short, if you rescued a person from drowning, you would qualify in theory for the award, paid or not.  But in practice, getting the documentation for it is a non-starter.

No physician is required as there are times where common sense prevails.  A physician is not required to certify that pulling a drowning victim from the water is life saving.  Or performing the Heimlich on a choking person is life saving.  Certification can be a police report or a newspaper article demonstrating that you helped a person.

Even though CAP Knowledgebase is generally poorly regarded on these forums, but this answer does at least give a little insight into what NHQ thinks, even if not written word for word in the regulation.  Ultimately, it is a commander's discretion:

QuoteAll CAP members who save a life could potentially qualify for a medal of valor or the Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving depending on the circumstances. Those members whose civilian jobs routinely involve life saving activities such as doctors, nurses, or EMTs would not normally be recommended for a decoration or certificate unless distinguished and conspicuous heroic action was involved

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

You have no idea what you're talking about. HIPPA  has nothing to do with situations like this. As  a paramedic, I have been awarded  awards for certain patient related  actions.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

AirAux

IIRC, HWSRN received one for a non-existent motor vehicle accident..

Chappie

Quote from: AirAux on October 31, 2014, 09:07:28 PM

Your recollection is a bit flawed.  A Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving would have been a bit more palatable than the Silver Medal of Valor that he received in March of 2006 (during a National Board meeting) for that incident -- which I believe was later revoked when his membership was terminated.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ColonelJack

Quote from: Chappie on October 31, 2014, 11:01:41 PM
Quote from: AirAux on October 31, 2014, 09:07:28 PM

Your recollection is a bit flawed.  A Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving would have been a bit more palatable than the Silver Medal of Valor that he received in March of 2006 (during a National Board meeting) for that incident -- which I believe was later revoked when his membership was terminated.

The SMV for HWSRN was revoked because the incident for which he received it (after putting himself up for it) never happened.  There were no records of any traffic accident on the Interstate on the day and place where he (and two other officers who also had their SMVs rescinded and who should have known better) allegedly "earned" it. 

The SMV was one of the many, many reasons his command was taken away from him and his membership was terminated.

Jack

Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: JayT on October 31, 2014, 07:29:02 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about. HIPPA  has nothing to do with situations like this. As  a paramedic, I have been awarded  awards for certain patient related  actions.

If it involves even acknowledging that a patient received care to a third party (not involved in care) without written patient authorization, it's a violation.  EMS people can certainly give awards to their own members/employees without it being a violation (because they're directly involved).  But for CAP, it's another story.
Keeping script kiddies out by day; filling out endless paperwork by night.

LSThiker

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on November 03, 2014, 07:30:12 PM
Quote from: JayT on October 31, 2014, 07:29:02 PM

If it involves even acknowledging that a patient received care to a third party (not involved in care) without written patient authorization, it's a violation.  EMS people can certainly give awards to their own members/employees without it being a violation (because they're directly involved).  But for CAP, it's another story.

The physician is going to be, realistically, disconnected from the actual "rescue".  He/she is not going to know who saved who and who did what.  Regardless, again, the physician is not required to document anything for a commander to recommend/award the Certificate of Lifesaving or even an BMV or SMV.  As far as documentation, it is simple:  a police report, a newspaper article, eye witness statements, etc.  There are other methods to document an action. 

Luis R. Ramos

Lets take another case.

Someone falls into a rapidly rising river.

A CAP member sees that person, is not a lifeguard yet jumps in risking his/her life. Rescues the person that fell in the river. That person is wheezing, has swallowed tons of water.

A member sees flames and/or smoke coming out of a house. Parents screaming "my child, my child!" A CAP member runs into the house, comes out carrying a baby. Baby is unconscious, member does CPR, baby starts breathing.

Can you get a physician to "attest the life was saved?" No, and in these cases I would accept witness, EMT, and/or police reports, newspaper article that he/she saved a life.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

The CyBorg is destroyed

I grew up next to a fire station and I remember them putting their collective backsides in the fire to save someone (pun intended) more times than I can count.  I also remember when they would come back from a run where they weren't able to save someone and you could tell it was like a knife in the gut to them.  I don't remember them being awarded medals or ribbons.

It's much the same for police officers, I would think.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Shuman 14

Quote from: CyBorg on November 04, 2014, 04:38:59 AM

I grew up next to a fire station and I remember them putting their collective backsides in the fire to save someone (pun intended) more times than I can count.  I also remember when they would come back from a run where they weren't able to save someone and you could tell it was like a knife in the gut to them.  I don't remember them being awarded medals or ribbons.

It's much the same for police officers, I would think.

That's gonna vary from departments to departments... some have awards programs, some don't. Some wear them all the time (ie NYPD), some at the members discretion (ie Chicago), others next to never.

Some even allow the wear of prior Service Military awards (ie LAPD), but for every department far and wide big and small there will be different regulations.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present