Main Menu

Lifesaver ribon?

Started by Jfinouye, October 26, 2014, 06:36:15 PM

Flying Pig

An agency I worked for had a medal system, and pretty much NEVER awarded anybody anything, and in the rare times when they did there was no consistency.  A guy performs an act today and gets nothing.  A year later another officer does almost the identical act and gets a boat load of bling.  But overall, rarely anything ever awarded.    I ended up with a CoV and a Lifesaving, but Lord help you if you ever wore them on your uniform.... yeah, it was one of those kinds of places.   The agency Im with now...... Every month we have an awards ceremony and it can be a disciplinary offense if you don't wear your medals.  Just attempting CPR seems to get you a lifesaving medal.  We have cops here who look like N. Korean generals.  But the Sheriffs mindset is that it promotes the fact that cops are doing great things and people ask you about them... you tell them.... which equals positive PR for the dept. 

I don't really buy into the idea completely that you should not receive a medal from CAP just because you are a paid public safety person.  There are acts that completely void the idea that its "your job".   The military awards medals for acts of bravery off duty or outside of combat like the Soldiers Medal, Airman's Medal and the Navy Marine Corps Medal.  My roommate got a Navy Marine Corps Commendation Medal for chasing a robbery suspect after he snatched some ladies purse.  I just think the employed public safety individual needs to use some discretion.  My "discretion" is that you must be recognized by your agency before I would bother CAP for recognition.  Ive done plenty of silly things at work and off duty that could qualify,  but the only medal I was ever put in for in CAP coincided with getting a Certificate of Valor (I got a plaque. It looked odd on my uniform though :o ) and a Lifesaving Medal at work. 

Ultimately I would like to see the current set up of medals for valor, with the addition of a medal similar to the Soldiers Medal or the Navy Marine Corps Medal where its a medal for an act of bravery or valor outside of combat.....  CAP could have one for acts outside of CAP operations.  An idea I proposed YEARS ago was the Civil Air Patrol Medal for that purpose. 

Another idea I had to save the headache of creating an actual new medal for acts outside of CAP was that the highest medal you could earn would be the BMoV a single gold star.  Leaving the SMoV and plain BMoV for acts only in CAP.   The single gold star changed the BMoV to the  Civil Air Patrol Medal.  Same idea as the Lifesaving ribbon with or without the star.  Same ribbon.... only the device changes its meaning. 

Keep in mind... when I say years ago..... the proposal was written on a type writer and MAILED in  ;D   Oh.... and edit to add... I hand drew the medal!  it was totally awesome!

MSG Mac

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 04, 2014, 04:19:03 PMAnother idea I had to save the headache of creating an actual new medal for acts outside of CAP was that the highest medal you could earn would be the BMoV a single gold star.  Leaving the SMoV and plain BMoV for acts only in CAP.   The single gold star changed the BMoV to the  Civil Air Patrol Medal.  Same idea as the Lifesaving ribbon with or without the star.  Same ribbon.... only the device changes its meaning.

I would believe that 90% or more of the Medals of Valor and Lifesaving awards are earned outside of CAP
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Flying Pig

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 04, 2014, 05:56:08 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on November 04, 2014, 04:19:03 PMAnother idea I had to save the headache of creating an actual new medal for acts outside of CAP was that the highest medal you could earn would be the BMoV a single gold star.  Leaving the SMoV and plain BMoV for acts only in CAP.   The single gold star changed the BMoV to the  Civil Air Patrol Medal.  Same idea as the Lifesaving ribbon with or without the star.  Same ribbon.... only the device changes its meaning.

I would believe that 90% or more of the Medals of Valor and Lifesaving awards are earned outside of CAP

Id go with 99%!!  Thats why leaving the SMoV and plain BMoV would add to the idea that whatever was done was done on a CAP mission.   I also wanted the Commanders Commendation with a bronze propellor device to be a commendation for aviation actions.  Again, leaving it a simple award that would rarely be earned.  So because of that, no need to make a new medal, just add a device to a current medal.  From a distance I see its a Commanders Comm, but close up I see "Oh, interesting... its an aviation commendation"

Again, just ideas from my younger days  ;D

MIKE

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 04, 2014, 04:19:03 PMI don't really buy into the idea completely that you should not receive a medal from CAP just because you are a paid public safety person.  There are acts that completely void the idea that its "your job".   The military awards medals for acts of bravery off duty or outside of combat like the Soldiers Medal, Airman's Medal and the Navy Marine Corps Medal.  My roommate got a Navy Marine Corps Commendation Medal for chasing a robbery suspect after he snatched some ladies purse.  I just think the employed public safety individual needs to use some discretion.  My "discretion" is that you must be recognized by your agency before I would bother CAP for recognition.  Ive done plenty of silly things at work and off duty that could qualify,  but the only medal I was ever put in for in CAP coincided with getting a Certificate of Valor (I got a plaque. It looked odd on my uniform though :o ) and a Lifesaving Medal at work.

IIRC there is specific language in the awards regulations of the various services that prevent such awards for EMTs, firefighters etc for acts in the normal performance of duty.
Mike Johnston

LTCinSWR

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 04, 2014, 05:56:08 PM

While I was a paramedic by profession at the time, I was awarded a Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving for an in-restaurant obstructed airway incident. Because it was off-duty and having none of my 'gadgets' with me, that is why it was approved. Also, at that time, it required the National Awards Committee to approve it.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters