Main Menu

Encampment

Started by C/Awesomenesss, October 26, 2014, 03:48:48 AM

Cadetter

And to answer Captain Hatkevich - I do know a lot more than posted. Yes sir, I do not have the need to know. Although, the said cadet was my best friend at encampment.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: SamFranklin on October 28, 2014, 01:36:32 PM
1.  Cadet asks a legitimate question about encampment.

No, he did not.

I'd like to see the adult leaders -- the supposed mentors here -- demonstrate a more charitable tone toward cadets like the OP here. This cadet's "crime" has been to ask a question and to take pride in his or her squadron and wing. Sounds like a good cadet, if not totally correct about the name of the competition his team won.

The cadet asked an inappropriate, nosy question for no other purpose then morbid curiosity, and when called on it got defensive.

The first two responses (by senior members with relevent experience) were 100% appropriate, even to the point of being supported by CAP's rules regarding investigations and
disciplinary actions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Exactly. Even as a SM I've been "denied" info on rumors I heard, because of either pending or potential investigation. I've had higher level staff stop me from discussing with them issues, as they wanted to be impartial in any potential investigations as well.

It is what it is. If the info doesn't relate to you, you don't need it.

PHall

This thread is one of the reasons I'm frequently disappointed with CAPTalk and so visit here infrequently.

2.  Senior explains the info is on a "need to know basis," but comes across as curt, perhaps unintentionally.

3.  Tangent as to a wacky flight.

4.  Cadet defensively says his unit isn't goofy, it's actually strong, especially in color guard.

5.  Seniors proceed to beat up cadet over the terminology, because it's unlikely that the cadet's unit won "NCC."

6.  Cadet gets even more defensive, which is understandable.

7.  Seniors continue piling on.

I'd like to see the adult leaders -- the supposed mentors here -- demonstrate a more charitable tone toward cadets like the OP here. This cadet's "crime" has been to ask a question and to take pride in his or her squadron and wing. Sounds like a good cadet, if not totally correct about the name of the competition his team won.

To answer your question, cadet, maybe 1% to 3% of cadets leave encampment early. Sometimes it's at their request due to a lack of interest. Sometimes it's for misconduct. Sometimes it's health. Sometimes there's been a tragedy at home. A former national commander, Brig. Gen Jay Bobick, told of his father (? IIRC) dying during encampment while Brig. Gen. Bobick was still a cadet, and how the CAP and military staff moved heaven and earth to reschedule a helo flight before the young man went home to be with his family. So, sometimes the reasons for a cadet's departure will become common knowledge, but most of the time, the CAP senior staff keeps that information to themselves out of respect for the cadet's privacy and/or to not "air dirty laundry" in public. If you haven't been to encampment yet, plan on it for next year. If you have, work hard during the off-season and come back on staff next summer. Good luck!

You know, nobody is forcing you to be here. Don't like what you see here, don't log in. It's as simple as that.
And if you have problems with the way this site is run, a PM to the Administrator would be the way to go.

C/Awesomenesss

This thread is one of the reasons I'm frequently disappointed with CAPTalk and so visit here infrequently.

2.  Senior explains the info is on a "need to know basis," but comes across as curt, perhaps unintentionally.

3.  Tangent as to a wacky flight.

4.  Cadet defensively says his unit isn't goofy, it's actually strong, especially in color guard.

5.  Seniors proceed to beat up cadet over the terminology, because it's unlikely that the cadet's unit won "NCC."

6.  Cadet gets even more defensive, which is understandable.

7.  Seniors continue piling on.

To answer your question, cadet, maybe 1% to 3% of cadets leave encampment early. Sometimes it's at their request due to a lack of interest. Sometimes it's for misconduct. Sometimes it's health. Sometimes there's been a tragedy at home. A former national commander, Brig. Gen Jay Bobick, told of his father (? IIRC) dying during encampment while Brig. Gen. Bobick was still a cadet, and how the CAP and military staff moved heaven and earth to reschedule a helo flight before the young man went home to be with his family. So, sometimes the reasons for a cadet's departure will become common knowledge, but most of the time, the CAP senior staff keeps that information to themselves out of respect for the cadet's privacy and/or to not "air dirty laundry" in public. If you haven't been to encampment yet, plan on it for next year. If you have, work hard during the off-season and come back on staff next summer. Good luck!
Thank you sir

C/Awesomenesss

Can everybody stop giving my squadron a bad invaluation. My squadron is the (in my mine mind) best in the NCR. I don't know about everybody else but I wasn't being nosy I just want to see what everybodys encampments were like. So can get back on topic, please and thank you.

Alaric

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 29, 2014, 03:48:17 AM
Can everybody stop giving my squadron a bad invaluation. My squadron is the (in my mine mind) best in the NCR. I don't know about everybody else but I wasn't being nosy I just want to see what everybodys encampments were like. So can get back on topic, please and thank you.

Please, if you want to be taken seriously, use spell check. 

C/Awesomenesss

Майор Хаткевич

Perhaps you should have read better. Then you'd understand the logic behind the post you somehow thought is about your unit.

jeders

Sam, normally I'd agree with you, but you seem to have missed a few steps. You missed all of the previous thread topics that this cadet posted which unfortunately displayed his brilliant ignorance. You missed all the times that people tried to help him and then received great disrespect from this cadet who has now been in CAP for 5 years and is likely still an NCO (a year ago he had only received 4 awards and was still just an A1c or SrAmn.) He burned a lot of bridges and then changed his username to try and hide from that. So when he came on here asking about what people have gotten sent home from encampment for (which is absolutely no one's business but the parties directly involved) and doing so with the same lack of respect for himself and others, it's understandable that he would be treated the way he was. Could he have been treated better, yes. However, like so many head strong individuals who "know better", this cadet brought this on himself.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Chappie

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 26, 2014, 03:48:48 AM
How many people got sent home when you were at your encampment(s)?

We had one go home the first day for going to places he shouldn't go.

I love to hear the story why he/she went home.

Awesomeness...having served on Encampment staffs since 1997, yes -- there have people who went home for one reason or another (Sam Franklin provided many...and I can vouch for the reasons he listed as being much the case).  Leaving Encampment is a difficult thing.  I can tell you that whether or not a cadet returns home on their own volition or not, it is not a decision that is taken lightly.  To have one, "love to hear to hear the story why he/she went home", seems a bit on "the inquiring minds want to know".   As someone pointed out, the core value of "respect" comes into play here.  Respect the decision of the staff.....and respect the privacy of the cadet who did not complete encampment.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

C/Awesomenesss

I tried to get the respect back but no one would give to me know so idk what I can do to get it back.

LSThiker

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 30, 2014, 03:01:09 AM
I tried to get the respect back but no one would give to me know so idk what I can do to get it back.

Respect requires a number of factors.  A main factor, if not the largest, is how you present yourself.  As this is an internet forum and thus we cannot see you, grammar is important.  It is a method of how you present yourself.  Therefore, try using readable English as I am not entirely sure what you said.