Red Bull Stratos Near Space Jump

Started by ♠SARKID♠, October 09, 2012, 04:20:59 PM

♠SARKID♠

Felix Baumgartner will be attempting his near space freefall dive today.  Broadcast starts 1700(Z).  Should be awesome!

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live

♠SARKID♠

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Walkman

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cool Mace

Big let down for today. Let's hope it works out for tomorrow.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

a2capt

It was sitting there so nice and then the trademark NM wind said "no, not today. Poof."

♠SARKID♠

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on October 09, 2012, 05:48:06 PM
It was sitting there so nice and then the trademark NM wind said "no, not today. Poof."

I'm surprised the Meteorology guy gave his "go" for that launch.  After a 5 hr delay, anybody with *any* knowledge of ballooning should be aware that the winds tend to *increase* during the day as the sun heats the atmosphere, which is why balloonists *generally* don't fly during the day.  A couple hrs after sunrise and a couple hrs before sunset are usually ideal ballooning conditions from a "launch & recovery" standpoint.

The worst part is, after you commit to filling the balloon, you're stuck.  The balloon is not reusable and it is easily damaged. They have a 2nd envelope, but still.  You start to fill it, you're committed to throwing that envelope away either on the runway or downrange after the flight.

The winds an hour before they started the webcast were "Calm" according to the AWOS/METAR. (that "calm" may have been "calm per the AWOS anemometer on the airfield, but not calm per our highly sensitive ballooning instruments," so surely YMMV)  The TAF, however, claimed that the forecast winds were 9kts and climbing as the day went on.  I would not have committed to launch in the face of that forecast with a max ground wind limit of 4mph.  Guess thats why I'm not a weather guesser.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

That surprised me too,  having flown into Roswell several times, I found the best time to be within an hour of Sunset, if it wasn't a stormy afternoon and it sure made for the mornings to be a nice time to leave before getting your butt kicked by density altitude.

Flying Pig

You know....  I just cant get excited about it.  This was done higher, 50 years ago.  Problem is, nobody (in regular society) knows anything about Kittenger.  Video will be way cool though.  but the event itself doesnt do anything for me. 

A.Member

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 09, 2012, 10:02:04 PM
You know....  I just cant get excited about it.  This was done higher, 50 years ago.  Problem is, nobody (in regular society) knows anything about Kittenger.  Video will be way cool though.  but the event itself doesnt do anything for me.
Um, no, it wasn't.  And everyone following the story knows about Kittinger...he's Baumgartner's advisor! :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Critical AOA

Yep, Kittinger did it from 19 miles compared to Baumgartner's planned 23 miles.  Still, with the advances in technology and all over the years (1959 vs. 2012), I would still give Kittinger more credit.  Either way, my highest ever jump of 14,500' (2.75 miles) pales in comparison though I thought I was a bad arse at the time.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

A.Member

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 10, 2012, 12:10:47 AM
Yep, Kittinger did it from 19 miles compared to Baumgartner's planned 23 miles.  Still, with the advances in technology and all over the years (1959 vs. 2012), I would still give Kittinger more credit.  Either way, my highest ever jump of 14,500' (2.75 miles) pales in comparison though I thought I was a bad arse at the time.
I take nothing from Kittinger's jump at all.  If anything, the fact that his record has stood this long is testament to just how great it a feat it was.  The dude is a stud and I hear he owns a very large wheelbarrow.

NIN

Quote from: A.Member on October 10, 2012, 12:20:11 AM
I take nothing from Kittinger's jump at all.  If anything, the fact that his record has stood this long is testament to just how great it a feat it was.  The dude is a stud and I hear he owns a very large wheelbarrow.

I have met him, and can attest to this fact.  And that he has a nice "polished wood and chromed metal" one for formal events.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 10, 2012, 12:10:47 AM
Either way, my highest ever jump of 14,500' (2.75 miles) pales in comparison though I thought I was a bad arse at the time.

Two at 21,000 for me. Quick check of the logbook reveals 772 over 10, 500 (2 miles, give or take)

But 120,000? Yeahhhhh..

A Facebook friend said "Felix didn't like the spot and asked for a go-around."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Huey Driver

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

tsrup

Running through egress checklist now,

Now's the time to tune in folks if you haven't already.
Paramedic
hang-around.