The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: JC004 on August 26, 2011, 10:00:59 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 26, 2011, 12:45:38 PM
What is it that you are wanting to adjust to changes the Air Force made?

You ask me this while I have the laptop and not the netbook.  Just changes to existing uniforms (namely, no addition of the ABU or anything) like females with male flight caps, phase out of the gray scarves and all, etc.  I had also included clarification on how to wear mess dress medal devices (which isn't a change, but it isn't specified in 39-1, only in the AFI). 

Basically, I was working on a consolidated ICL with all the current changes and a phase-out date chart (removing all the crap and back and forth), a version that had some of the AF Uniform Board updates, and the CAP uniform information website based on the Air Force site (but better).
Why don't we do the right thing, and just update the publication? Then which ICL is the most current wouldbe a moot point, There needs to be a single source for information on any given subject, not a bunch of different letters.

Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of having to show people the most current ICLs on uniform items. I'm also frustrated by people wearing the wrong nametags with the wrong uniforms. I've mentioned to a senior that the blue nametag with name and "Civil Air Patrol" only on it is not authorized with blues, that was a CSU item. But, they "don't wanna have to buy another one."

All this stuff needs to get put in the right place. I know we have a corporate side, but we need to be a little less "corporate" in our actions, and start acting like a uniformed organization. Even if we were wearing a uniform that was unique to only us, it needs to be referenced in a single place. I shouldn't have to hunt all over Hades half acre to make absolutely certain that I have the latest. Publish a new pub, publish changes to the pub just like we used to. They were a lot easier that way. And with the electronic means available, it's not that hard.

JC004

I started preparing an ICL draft as a middle way because we need to make it easier but after asking multiple people who'd know, I was told there was no way they were publishing a new 39-1 until after the uniform committee did their thing, changes were approved by the National Board, things were reviewed by the Air Force, and all that goodness.

I figured that I could get away with creating the website with complete, current information.  People could use that instead and print from there instead anyway.  So it would sort of replace 39-1 in practicality unless you really wanted to print the regulation itself.  See where I was going here?  Might as well make it irrelevant if they won't change it...

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." - R. Buckminster Fuller

PHall

The Air Force just came out with the long awaited revision to AFI 36-2903 (The Uniform Manual).
Now would be a good time to write that CAP Supplement to AFI 36-2903.
Why reinvent the wheel? ???

JC004

A supplement would be too confusing - especially for those with no military background.  There are too many differences and things that don't apply.  I experimented with this, taking a supplement approach sample and a uniform manual sample.  The supplement was too confusing.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on August 27, 2011, 02:57:06 PM
The Air Force just came out with the long awaited revision to AFI 36-2903 (The Uniform Manual).
Now would be a good time to write that CAP Supplement to AFI 36-2903.
Why reinvent the wheel? ???
Not a case of reinventing it, just copy the wheel. And there are some obvious enough differences to 2903 that a supplement would not work.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing AF regs that are specific to CAP. Make everything we have into AF regs, and be done.

GroundHawg

Has there been a supplement that adds the silver star to the Mitchell for the RCLS? I know you can wear it for COS, and can find docs to back that up, but I have a cadet wearing the star that has not been to COS and when asked about it stated it was for RCLS. I cannot find anything that says he/she is correct. Any assistance is appreciated.

jimmydeanno

There isn't a supplement.  The silver star is for cadets who have gone to COS, not RCLS - it's one of the ways you can distinguish who did what.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

The star is recognition for completion of a very specific activity - COS.  It is like those for the Professional Development ribbons (ACSC, AWC).

im_not_a_sir

you can also just go to this website and enter your ribbons
<http://mcchord.org/rack_builder/>

it does cadet and senior ranks

im_not_a_sir

how high do wings go over ribbons?

is it the same for other things like Ground Team?

Eclipse

Quote from: im_not_a_sir on August 21, 2012, 08:15:13 PM
how high do wings go over ribbons?

is it the same for other things like Ground Team?

1/2".

Yes.

39-1 is your friend.

Welcome to Captalk.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

only if i could wear my njrotc and ajrotc, military and cap ribbons. i would have around 40 ribbons. A 13 stack.. dont think that would be good. i will look like the dictator lol
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

PHall

Quote from: Devil Doc on September 02, 2012, 11:07:03 PM
only if i could wear my njrotc and ajrotc, military and cap ribbons. i would have around 40 ribbons. A 13 stack.. dont think that would be good. i will look like the dictator lol

If I wear all of my Federal military and CAP ribbons I have 38 ribbons. And you're right, it does look dumb.

Devil Doc

I know, it would look dumb. Just imagine, i only have 2 CAP ribbons. So most of them are JROTC, and or Military. It sucks i am not in weight standards, because i cannot wear my Military ribbons on my CAP uniform. Oh well, guess its motivation to loose 40 pounds.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Devil Doc on September 03, 2012, 02:25:06 AM
I know, it would look dumb. Just imagine, i only have 2 CAP ribbons. So most of them are JROTC, and or Military. It sucks i am not in weight standards, because i cannot wear my Military ribbons on my CAP uniform. Oh well, guess its motivation to loose 40 pounds.
But, unless you're a cadet dual-enrolled in an AFJROTC program, you can't wear your JROTC ribbons on any CAP uniform. That should help some. Many of our adult members have a chestful of military decorations and a pittance of CAP ribbons. That's nothing to feel bad about.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Devil Doc

Im an Senior member, but i cannot wear the Military ribbons on the Corprate, or the white aviator shirt, only the CAP AF blues, so again, im not in weight standards as i weigh 236. So come to think about it, i got too loose 50 pounds :( to wear all my chest candy.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

manfredvonrichthofen

I wear the USAF style uniform, and to fit all my Army and CAP ribbons, along with my GTL and Contact badges, I had to add afalse pocket flap below my original one. Going four across just doesn't work on my size of jacket.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Devil Doc on September 02, 2012, 11:07:03 PM

You know, I have seen members that almost look like this sans the beard of course.  A bit silly.  Strike that, a lot silly.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

RiverAux

Seeing as how the only way for a senior member to get an extremely crazy number of ribbons is to earn a bunch in the military and then a bunch in CAP, I'd hesitate to call them silly. 

Garibaldi

Remember that Richard Pryor/Jackie Gleason movie "The Toy"? The kid in it had 3 plastic 80's era CAP ribbons on his military school uniform.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things