Main Menu

Cadet Shoulderboards

Started by blombardo, October 13, 2018, 08:51:27 PM

CFToaster

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 15, 2018, 08:22:19 AM
If you never wore cadet officer shoulder boards, then you will never know what it means to wear them.

I reckon there are two kinds of people in this world; those that the bling matters to, and those that it doesn't.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: CFToaster on October 17, 2018, 05:33:32 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 15, 2018, 08:22:19 AM
If you never wore cadet officer shoulder boards, then you will never know what it means to wear them.

I reckon there are two kinds of people in this world; those that the bling matters to, and those that it doesn't.

Let me guess. Not a cadet or former cadet? But, if you were, then you weren't a cadet officer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

CFToaster

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 18, 2018, 10:44:14 AMLet me guess. Not a cadet or former cadet? But, if you were, then you weren't a cadet officer?

You are correct; you and I did not have the exact same experience. But I did hold a comparable position of trust and responsibility in my youth. I never wore the badge of office, and gladly mailed it back it to NHQ in protest against the organization's unjust practices. The bling doesn't matter to me.

You have your CAP resume in your signature line. It's clearly important to you that others know of your accomplishments.  Those are certainly things to be proud of, and give strangers an idea of where your advice and opinions are coming from. I have no objections.

At the risk of humblebragging, I have earned my share of honors, awards, and certifications both vocationally and avocationally. My diplomas don't hang in my office and I don't wear my professional society pins. My hope is that my words and actions inspire confidence in my capabilities. I want people to conclude, "CFToaster knows what he's talking about," not "CFToaster must know what he's talking about because he's a _________."

I'm just providing some diversity of opinion. Clearly there are some cadets for whom the trappings of office are important, but let's not forget that OP might be putting a significant effort into something that the cadets in question could be quite ambivalent about.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: CFToaster on October 18, 2018, 05:12:53 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 18, 2018, 10:44:14 AMLet me guess. Not a cadet or former cadet? But, if you were, then you weren't a cadet officer?

You are correct; you and I did not have the exact same experience. But I did hold a comparable position of trust and responsibility in my youth. I never wore the badge of office, and gladly mailed it back it to NHQ in protest against the organization's unjust practices. The bling doesn't matter to me.

You have your CAP resume in your signature line. It's clearly important to you that others know of your accomplishments.  Those are certainly things to be proud of, and give strangers an idea of where your advice and opinions are coming from. I have no objections.

At the risk of humblebragging, I have earned my share of honors, awards, and certifications both vocationally and avocationally. My diplomas don't hang in my office and I don't wear my professional society pins. My hope is that my words and actions inspire confidence in my capabilities. I want people to conclude, "CFToaster knows what he's talking about," not "CFToaster must know what he's talking about because he's a _________."

I'm just providing some diversity of opinion. Clearly there are some cadets for whom the trappings of office are important, but let's not forget that OP might be putting a significant effort into something that the cadets in question could be quite ambivalent about.

No, I do not list my "CAP résumé" in my sig line. Theres lots more. I just put those items in there 10 years ago to show I had the benefit/curse of a lot of time reflected in my posts and responses.

This isn't a matter of cadets liking or not liking "bling." They have to live with uniform standards and dint have the privilege of not wearing things they do not wish to wear, unless granted by regulations (such as short stacking).  A cadet can say all day and all night "bling isn't important to me, so I don't want to wear this" and nobody will care. The cadet will wear it regardless of preference.

I'm trying to figure out what  this even means: <<But I did hold a comparable position of trust and responsibility in my youth. I never wore the badge of office, and gladly mailed it back it to NHQ in protest against the organization's unjust practices. The bling doesn't matter to me.>> I can't figure out what position of trust and responsibility would be comparable to being a cadet officer without being one and what possible "badge if office" there was to mail back, unworn. I'm guessing now that the organization wasn't CAP at all, making the point all the harder to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

blombardo

I appreciate the replies but  - it seems this topics getting a bit salty...

I think we're good here unless someone else has a good link for discounted shoulderboards lol...   I ordered the three sets we need to look appropriate at our group 6 change of command and they were (finally) shipped out today; got the text notice a few minutes ago...

--Going forward I think I'll try to do a pre purchase order for these large $490.00 inventory /vanguard purchases...  just let our wing cut a check or pay with their credit card through the wing banker program rather than me and other seniors footing the bill each time then waiting 2 weeks for reimbursement
Sr Member Brian Lombardo, CAP
Squadron123, IT, PAO, Logistics
PA Group 6, Assistant IT
Facebook Page-squadron123g6
Facebook Group -squadron123g6
Twitter /squadron123g6