Items not on the encampment packing list.

Started by Picy3, June 17, 2018, 07:23:19 PM

Offutteer

Quote from: ol'fido on June 19, 2018, 05:28:28 PM
To the original point about bringing additional items: I don't know about items not on the list, but I do recommend bringing more than the recommended number of underwear, t-shirts, and socks.

I'll second this one.  If it says "Minimum", then bring extras, if you have them.  It's better to have more and not need them than it is to only have the minimum and need more.

abdsp51

For all those saying watches are not allowed you missed the part in the encampent guide that says students will keep their watches and jewelry.

Spam

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 19, 2018, 09:50:04 PM
For all those saying watches are not allowed you missed the part in the encampent guide that says students will keep their watches and jewelry.

Nice!  OK - "THIRD WATCH FALL IN.  You will stand watch until 0300, your orders are to take charge of this post and all government (aka "designated" for CAP cadets of a certain age) property in view, to walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing, and to o report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce...

KIDDING....  :D

For our younger CAP teammates, this was a play on the term, "watch" which has connotations to those of us with Naval/Marine backgrounds). For those of us with USN/USMC backgrounds, there is the 12th general order: to walk my post from flank to flank and take no Sierra from any rank".

:o

Cheers
Spam

PS this is one of the more divergent threads I've seen in recent years!

Spam

OK, in seriousness (having just watched my like, 30th encampment in processing line slooooowwwwly move forward):

Offutteer has a good point of view (bring extra stuff that you think makes sense). I respect that: we should reward initiative and members who think ahead, and don't necessarily dumb themselves down to the minimum brain activity. (joke).

The opposing point of view is that cadre must adhere to the packing list(s) that are issued, and spend time and effort inspecting and confiscating items that you bring that are not on the approved packing list. Taking time to inspect and argue the point slows down the team.

Your decision on the break here: do you really think your added gear is worth arguing over at check in (slowing the process down for hundreds, and making the confiscation list longer) versus the marginal utility of your added gear? I cannot answer that for you. Only you, and your local Wing can.

Sincerely, best wishes for your Encampment!
Spam

UWONGO2

Our list will include things like, "at least x number of something" to allow cadets to bring more if they want. But we also say only bring what's on the packing list to prevent MacGyver showing up with the U-Haul of gear for "just in case" moments he's worried about.

Cadetter

For all those saying watches are not allowed you missed the part in the encampment guide that says students will keep their watches and jewelry.

Just because it says it, doesn't mean that will happen. Watches were confiscated at an encampment in at least one wing last year according to my friend who went out of state to encampment.

Also, while I don't see why a student NEEDS a watch (not that one could never be used), I don't see why they would need to NOT have a watch. IIRC, watches were confiscated for all cadets at my first encampment (pre days of the encampment guide) and for students at my third encampment (second year of the guide), but not for anyone at my second encampment.

To add to the point of bringing extras: just don't bring an unreasonable amount. Our packing list for a 6-day encampment specified "at least 30" pairs of boot socks. Somehow, no one except 2 cadets asked about that (who wears five pairs of socks per day?)... and cadets brought however many pairs of socks they felt like bringing. (It was supposed to say "at least 3" of course - which is a low number for a 6-day encampment nonetheless.)
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

abdsp51

Quote from: Cadetter on June 20, 2018, 12:36:12 AM
For all those saying watches are not allowed you missed the part in the encampment guide that says students will keep their watches and jewelry.

Just because it says it, doesn't mean that will happen. Watches were confiscated at an encampment in at least one wing last year according to my friend who went out of state to encampment.

Also, while I don't see why a student NEEDS a watch (not that one could never be used), I don't see why they would need to NOT have a watch. IIRC, watches were confiscated for all cadets at my first encampment (pre days of the encampment guide) and for students at my third encampment (second year of the guide), but not for anyone at my second encampment.

To add to the point of bringing extras: just don't bring an unreasonable amount. Our packing list for a 6-day encampment specified "at least 30" pairs of boot socks. Somehow, no one except 2 cadets asked about that (who wears five pairs of socks per day?)... and cadets brought however many pairs of socks they felt like bringing. (It was supposed to say "at least 3" of course - which is a low number for a 6-day encampment nonetheless.)

If that is/was the case that is a foul.

Picy3

Alright I think I get the point, though for the watch I know I have been told in the past by my fellow squadron members that watches at encampment are very important.
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

TheSkyHornet

You won't need a watch at Encampment as a student. Nothing wrong with bringing one, but you're going to get dictated as to your every move and location throughout the week, and it will change rapidly without notice.

There's no issue bringing additional items not on the packing list if they have a training value (i.e., index cards, note pads) or personal care value (moleskins, foot powder, mosquito repellent). Cell phones, pocket knives, etc. will be confiscated and returned at out-processing.

Spam

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 25, 2018, 03:04:27 PM
You won't need a watch at Encampment as a student. Nothing wrong with bringing one, but you're going to get dictated as to your every move and location throughout the week, and it will change rapidly without notice.

There's no issue bringing additional items not on the packing list if they have a training value (i.e., index cards, note pads) or personal care value (moleskins, foot powder, mosquito repellent). Cell phones, pocket knives, etc. will be confiscated and returned at out-processing.

Hey Hornet, I hear what you're saying, but procedures do vary a bit from Wing to Wing here - and some Wings do confiscate all those items. So, there may indeed be an 'issue" there. Some encampments fill rows and rows of boxes with things that cadets "think" are necessary for personal care, or "think" have a training value.

Respectfully Suggest that we need to caveat your message by reinforcing the need for the original poster and all cadets reading to check their local Wing policies.

R/S,
Spam

(PS, back when SOF was in print, I remember a C/NCO student making a solid well argued case for his subjective need to bring three back issues to "train" with, citing one article on Rhodesia. Awesome - but no, tough guy!).

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Spam on June 25, 2018, 06:46:28 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 25, 2018, 03:04:27 PM

Hey Hornet, I hear what you're saying, but procedures do vary a bit from Wing to Wing here - and some Wings do confiscate all those items. So, there may indeed be an 'issue" there. Some encampments fill rows and rows of boxes with things that cadets "think" are necessary for personal care, or "think" have a training value.

Respectfully Suggest that we need to caveat your message by reinforcing the need for the original poster and all cadets reading to check their local Wing policies.

R/S,
Spam

(PS, back when SOF was in print, I remember a C/NCO student making a solid well argued case for his subjective need to bring three back issues to "train" with, citing one article on Rhodesia. Awesome - but no, tough guy!).

So....let them confiscate them. It's not a big deal.

Frankly, if a student brings a pack of moleskins for their feet, and the Encampment cadre confiscates them, someone should raise a concern on that.

Obviously, check your Wing's Encampment guidance on what to bring/not to bring.