Moderators: Please delete my account

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, March 17, 2016, 11:19:00 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

CyBorg, take care and good luck. I sincerely hope things work out for you.

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Mike, seriously? Just dont say anything if there is nothing good to say...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

etodd

Question. Is this forum like all the others where if you delete a member's account all their past posts and threads remain?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

C/ID-073

Wait, you can't delete your own account? Only the CAPTalk moderators can delete it? That's not cool... ???
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

whatevah

As a rule, we don't delete accounts or posts here. If you don't want to be involved anymore, that's fine, but the account and post history will remain.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Holding Pattern

Quote from: C/ID-073 on March 18, 2016, 01:39:05 AM
Wait, you can't delete your own account? Only the CAPTalk moderators can delete it? That's not cool... ???

One of life's lessons: The internet is forever.

goblin

Quote from: THRAWN on March 18, 2016, 01:18:54 AM
Mike, seriously? Just dont say anything if there is nothing good to say...

Yes seriously.

Don't make a spectacle and create a topic to ask to get deleted. Just go away if you don't want to be on here. 

THRAWN

Quote from: whatevah on March 18, 2016, 02:12:20 AM
As a rule, we don't delete accounts or posts here. If you don't want to be involved anymore, that's fine, but the account and post history will remain.

Jerry, I am guessing there is a mechanism in place to lock banned accounts. Couldnt the same be done for voluntary bans as well?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Flying Pig

CyBorg is leaving CAPTalk..... AGAIN?  This is an annual thing isnt it?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: THRAWN on March 18, 2016, 11:25:48 AM
Quote from: whatevah on March 18, 2016, 02:12:20 AM

Jerry, I am guessing there is a mechanism in place to lock banned accounts. Couldnt the same be done for voluntary bans as well?

Why do they need to lock an account for someone leaving when the person can just choose not to post? Unless someone has an addition or lack self control or discipline, not posting or lurking shouldn't be that difficult.

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 18, 2016, 01:08:12 PM
Why do they need to lock an account for someone leaving when the person can just choose not to post? Unless someone has an addition or lack self control or discipline, not posting or lurking shouldn't be that difficult.
Emphasis mine.

We know a couple people like that here, eh?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

I think in the internet discussion forum world, asking a mod to delete your account is basically the same thing at having the final word in a debate.  You somehow feel like you stuck it to the man on your way out.  Its the final protest.  Thats how they feel anyway.  Big kids just have the discipline to be responsible for what they type, and if I dont like your forum anymore, I dont come back.  Asking a mod to delete your account really shows you need someone else to help you and make sure its not easy for you to come back and start up again. 

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 18, 2016, 12:38:32 PM
CyBorg is leaving CAPTalk..... AGAIN?  This is an annual thing isnt it?

Its like getting your hand-receipt revalidated.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

C/ID-073

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 18, 2016, 06:36:14 AM

The internet is forever, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't able to delete an account that I made. There was no massage saying 'once you join CAPTalk, there's no going back' unless I missed it. It's fine if the posts stay, but accounts should be able to be deleted if desired. That's not right in my opinion.
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

PHall

Quote from: C/ID-073 on March 19, 2016, 12:22:33 AM

The internet is forever, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't able to delete an account that I made. There was no massage saying 'once you join CAPTalk, there's no going back' unless I missed it. It's fine if the posts stay, but accounts should be able to be deleted if desired. That's not right in my opinion.

Well, that's the site's rules. If you don't like them, you don't have to post here.

THRAWN

It's like Sonny said: "Now you can't leave..."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JeffDG

My 9 step process for deleting your account:

1.  Go to the "Change Password" function
2.  Open "Notepad"
3.  Bash keys randomly
4.  Copy random key bashing
5.  Paste into "New Password" field and confirmation
6.  Save new password
7.  When browser asks "Would you like to save new password?" say "No"
8.  Close Notepad, if asked to "Save" say "No"
9.  Never return to site.

almostspaatz

Quote from: JeffDG on March 19, 2016, 12:49:53 AM

My 9 step process for deleting your account:

1.  Go to the "Change Password" function
2.  Open "Notepad"
3.  Bash keys randomly
4.  Copy random key bashing
5.  Paste into "New Password" field and confirmation
6.  Save new password
7.  When browser asks "Would you like to save new password?" say "No"
8.  Close Notepad, if asked to "Save" say "No"
9.  Never return to site.

That's too much work, I'd just skip to 9...
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Майор Хаткевич

SarDragon

Here's how, but I don't think you would want to do it this way:

Quote from: MCoCMembers violating the code of conduct may be subject to any number of sanctions, including but not limited to: warnings, temporary suspension of posting privileges or account, temporary restrictions from certain forums, public admonition, alteration of post count and/or user rank, account deletion, and permanant ban from the discussion boards.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

It's in the announcements section:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4499.0

USACAP

So, to be clear, if I go on a bender of posting long crazy rants ... ?
You guys won't delete it all for me when I sober up?
Noted.

Flying Pig

Well, if Im not mistaken you can actually go back and delete posts.  But its pretty bad form.

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 19, 2016, 05:17:44 PM
Well, if Im not mistaken you can actually go back and delete posts.  But its pretty bad form.

Actually you can't. And editing to just a period doesn't make the mods happy either...

Holding Pattern

There is about a 15-45 minute window for editing. Useful for punctuation/spelling updates and minor addendums.