Washington, DC Trip Activities

Started by kcebnaes, January 24, 2020, 04:22:23 PM

kcebnaes

Hello!
I am in charge of my wing's delegation to DC for Legislative Day next month, and we have a full day to tour, and do "tourist-y" type stuff on the Friday after, instead of just leaving

So my big question is: what are the "gotta go and see this" type places? I know there is an overwhelming amount to do, but since we have only one day (and potentially the night time too) it's hard to boil things down to make sure we hit the big things, while not completely overwhelming cadets and seniors that'll be there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

jhighman

It might seem obvious for our Aerospace-focused clientele, but consider taking in the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles airport. https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center

It's not as centrally located as Other things along the mall, but it's new, full of awesome stuff, and free!

Paul Creed III

I have been to DC twice with my CyberPatriot teams back in the day.

The year we did a tour around Arlington and around The Mall are life-long memories.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Angus

I agree with Paul, if it's the first time for most of the people you're bringing stick with the National Mall and Arlington.  I'd say maybe add in the National Archives as well. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

kcebnaes

The Mall, and Arlington were most likely going to happen (mostly because they can support ~10 people, and they're FREE!)

Has anyone taken a tour of the White House, or the Pentagon? Both are options too, I just don't know if those are "worth" their waits (I mean wait times, not weight in gold, but both apply!)
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

dwb

Udvar-Hazy is, in my opinion, the better air and space museum. However, it is not Metro accessible, and you'll presumably be in Crystal City.

The National Mall is the easiest way to spend a day. Be prepared for a lot of walking. MLK Jr Memorial is excellent, the National Museum of African American History and Culture is an amazing and humbling experience, the Natural History Museum is fantastic, and of course the downtown Air and Space. African American museum has the best cafeteria.

Further down the Mall, the National Gallery of Art is lovely. Both buildings are good, although I prefer the classic to the contemporary building. Be sure to check out the Sculpture Garden too if you're going there.

Those are all free (except for food, which is wicked expensive in the museums). I've heard the new International Spy Museum is much better than the one it replaced, but it is not free.

Also, let me put in a plug for the Supreme Court and Library of Congress. You can do those on Legislative Day in between appointments, and they're both excellent.

The self-guided White House tour is... just okay. Also, you would have needed to request tickets already. Never hurts to hit the White House Visitor Center, which is one block east of the Treasury entrance. The public Pentagon tour is also just okay, and would be a separate trip from everything downtown.

I've given you more than one day of suggestions. If you have gaps in your Leg Day appointments, do check out LoC and the Court. If it's a cold day, prioritize the indoor museums. If it's nice, the outdoor monuments/memorials are good to see.

NIN

I was typing up something, but it was precisely what dwb says. Cuz I got the LOC/Supreme Court visit idea from him when I was last at Legislative Day.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

kcebnaes

Quote from: dwb on January 24, 2020, 06:27:51 PM
I've given you more than one day of suggestions.

And that's honestly why I wrote the post! There's just SO MUCH cool, and valuable stuff to do, I didn't know what might be able to be cut from the idea stage!

Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

SarDragon

Keep in mind that half of the downtown Air & Space Museum is closed while they are doing renovations, but there will still be enough exhibits open to keep you busy for most of a day.

Also, the mall is longer than you think. It's over a mile from the steps of the Capitol Building to 14th St at the other end. Walking out there on a cold windy day can get very uncomfortable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

And the USS Enterprise shooting model is no longer on display during the renovations.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Angus

Quote from: kcebnaes on January 24, 2020, 06:20:31 PM
The Mall, and Arlington were most likely going to happen (mostly because they can support ~10 people, and they're FREE!)

Has anyone taken a tour of the White House, or the Pentagon? Both are options too, I just don't know if those are "worth" their waits (I mean wait times, not weight in gold, but both apply!)

I'm not sure about the Pentagon, but as far as the White House last I knew you had to request those tours months in advance.  If that's changed depending on what the tour consists of these days it is worth it. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

MSG Mac

If going to the Pentagon, check their tour requirements, you might have to pre-register ahead of your visit.
Just checked tours must be scheduled from 14-90 days in advance. Any requests less than 14 days prior will not be accepted.
Website is: pentagontours.osd.mil
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

kcebnaes

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 28, 2020, 02:11:34 AM
If going to the Pentagon, check their tour requirements, you might have to pre-register ahead of your visit.
Just checked tours must be scheduled from 14-90 days in advance. Any requests less than 14 days prior will not be accepted.
Website is: pentagontours.osd.mil

Yep! I saw that too, which is another reason I don't know if we want to do that particular event. Pentagon understandably requires a TON of PII, and we're also not able to take phones/cameras or anything.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

MisterCD

I might also suggest the National Museum of American History. We are between two metro stations (Federal Triangle, Smithsonian) and have something for everybody on display.

kcebnaes

Quote from: MisterCD on January 29, 2020, 03:11:28 AMI might also suggest the National Museum of American History. We are between two metro stations (Federal Triangle, Smithsonian) and have something for everybody on display.

This sounds like a great option!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™