Main Menu

Army PFC (E-3)

Started by c5engr, April 13, 2021, 05:02:25 PM

c5engr

Has anyone taken an E-3 into the NCO Corps? The reg only addresses E-4 and above. Thanks
You gotta be tough to fly the heavies!

Eclipse

All the time.

E-3's do not qualify for CAP NCO.  He can join and pursue officer grade until such time as he gets to E-4, then transition.

There's no requirement to progress as an officer in CAP in the interim, however if he doesn't get at least E-4
he'll be a Senior Member (without grade) until such time as he decides to pursue PD for officer grades.

This is where the ongoing arguments disagreements contretemps rationalizations discussions come into play about the CAP NCO's place in the scheme of things.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

There were some Army E-3 ranks way back in the day, say, an E-3 Corporal prior to 1948.

In that case, you'd have someone that you'd have to explain that CAP NCO eligibility starts at E-4 (military paygrade). E-3 NCOs would not qualify.

Jester

It used to be E-5, then was expanded to E-4 to account for the branches that include E-4 in their NCO ranks. 

Falling Hare

The original AF CONOPS dated Oct. 17, 2013 stated that one of the goals of the NCO program would be to have non-prior service members enter CAP and be trained to enter the NCO track. This was to happen in Phase III that was to have been implemented in the 2018-19 time frame. So I think they are still trying to build up the core cadre as well as work on a training program.

At this stage in the game I think that they would welcome E1's to E3's that would at least have a firm background in military basics; this would be an effective "next step", but I have heard nothing about anything like this. You might run this up to the Wing level command NCO.  They won't know there is a problem with this unless they get feedback.

I always offer the NCO option to prospective members but virtually all have been below the E4 level, so no dice.