"Summer Weight" BBDU shirt

Started by RiverAux, March 29, 2008, 08:43:28 PM

RiverAux

Table 4-7 in CAPM 39-1 says this (emphasis is mine):
QuoteDark blue, BDU-style, cotton; single-breasted with four bellow pockets with
flaps; straight-cut bottom, sleeve tabs, and take-up tabs on the side. Long
sleeves may be rolled up; if rolled up, will touch or come within 1 inch of
forearms when arm is bent at a 90-degree angle; may be removed in the
immediate work area. When removed, T-shirt will be worn. A summer
weight shirt is also authorized, but shirt and trousers must match

What do you think this means exactly?  Are we talking about a blue version of the sort of ripstop-cotton "jungle fatigue" style woodland BDU uniform or something else? 

DC

Quote from: RiverAux on March 29, 2008, 08:43:28 PM
Table 4-7 in CAPM 39-1 says this (emphasis is mine):
QuoteDark blue, BDU-style, cotton; single-breasted with four bellow pockets with
flaps; straight-cut bottom, sleeve tabs, and take-up tabs on the side. Long
sleeves may be rolled up; if rolled up, will touch or come within 1 inch of
forearms when arm is bent at a 90-degree angle; may be removed in the
immediate work area. When removed, T-shirt will be worn. A summer
weight shirt is also authorized, but shirt and trousers must match

What do you think this means exactly?  Are we talking about a blue version of the sort of ripstop-cotton "jungle fatigue" style woodland BDU uniform or something else? 
Probably the rip-stop. With regular woodland the summer wieght is the cotton rip-stop and the winter is the poly/cotton twill. Since the only difference between BBDUs and Woodland BDUs is color that makes sense to me.

RiverAux

The odd thing is that why would they just specify that the shirt can be summer weight?  Why not summer weight pants?  I have heard that some think this language would authorize the wear of a short-sleeved two-pocket shirt, but I can't see that since the "summer weight" clause doesn't say anything about a 2-pocket shirt and the other part of the reg requires a 4-pocket shirt. 

RickFranz

The odd thing is that why would they just specify that the shirt can be summer weight?  Why not summer weight pants?

I think the statement at they must match, takes care of the that summer and winter weight fabric don't match.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1