Some possible help, please

Started by stillamarine, April 04, 2007, 01:10:51 AM

stillamarine

SO, Got Lvl 1 completed and now I'm studying the Scanner stuff.  I printed out a copy of the CAP Aircrew and Flightline Manual (all 271 pages!). Got a copy of the SQTR and been studying relevant material. I'm not a pilot so some of it is a wee bit confusing.  I think I got a lot of it down but have some questions. (and before it is brought up my CC is looking to team me up with a trainer but I tend to be inpatient when it comes to learning!)  I was wondering if anyone had any resources on a couple things or how I may find some. 

I guess the biggest one is sectionals. I've never dealt with them before.  I can read a map all day long, (being a grunt helped lol) but sectionals are unique. How can I get a hold of one or at least find a link where I can look at one pretty good.  (even if it's an old one to learn the symbols and reading of one.)

Following that, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the CAP Grid System.  Of course if I had a sectional in front of me it might be easier to figure out.

I guess that's the 2 biggest things. I have questions on the radio systems but that will be easier done with someone in front of the radio itself.

Any suggestions or tips on becoming a scanner?  How difficult was it to transition to Observer afterwards and how long did it take?

Thanks for helping the 'boot' out. I appreciate it all!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Al Sayre

For the sectional, just go down to your local airport (FBO) and buy one for your area, they usually cost around $10.00 and they're current for about 6 months.  Spend some time reading the "covers",  they contain the keys to everything you might encounter on the map.   Then get a pilot to go over what you still have questions.

As to the radios, here's a link that might help:  http://cawg.cap.gov/Files/se/N809CP/809CPOperational%20Equipment%20Q.pps#1
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

stillamarine

AL,

Thanks for the link for the radios! That looks like it will be alot of help!  I'll pick up a sectional this week!

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

sardak

The FAA has available the "Aeronautical Chart User's Guide" for free in PDF format at:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/aero_guide

It explains the symbols used on aeronautical charts of all types, not just sectionals.  Recommended.

Often FBOs will have expired sectionals available for free.  The expiration date and FAA logo will have been removed, but for non-pilot use they are OK.  Also ask the pilots in your unit for an old sectional.

Mike

SJFedor

www.myairplane.com

This has online current versions of sectionals and TAC charts for whatever area you want in the US. Like someone else mentioned, you can probably get an expired chart from a local FBO for very cheap. If all else fails, I have some expired ones here, I'll be glad to send them, but they won't be for your immediate area.

The CAP grid system is actually amazingly easy. You can go to the following, they have pretty good tutorials on conventional and CELL grids, as well as some pre-gridded sections to help get you started. It's always best to use a current one, though not required.

http://www.cap-es.net/CAPGrids/CAP%20Grid%20Systems.htm

Scanner is really designed as a stepping stone into either mission pilot or mission observer. Most don't stop at just scanner. The difficulty on becoming an MO really depends on how familiar you are with the aircraft, how much access you have to an aircraft to be able to sit inside and "imagine" how you'd be an MO, and who can help teach you. The biggest key is getting continual experience and continuity of training when you're doing it. Doing your MO spread out over a year isn't going to benifit you as much as doing it a bit quicker, and then staying current in it during training and actual missions. The learning curve can be steep, and hard and fast may work better then soft and slow.

Good luck, and welcome to the party!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JohnKachenmeister

Marine:

The most important thing to remember about aeronautical charts is the scale.  Sectionals are in the middle. Termainal Area Charts show more detail, beause they are half the scale of the sectional.  World Aeronautical Charts show less detail, and are double the size of the sectional.  I have seen cadets AND experienced pilots use a plotter to determine distance, and read the wrong scale on the plotter for the chart they are using.
Another former CAP officer

Fifinella

When learning the CAP Grid system, I found it helpful to read the Ground Team Member & Leader Reference Text, found here: http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_7102905590858541879.pdf
especially pp. 32 & 33, and pp.137 & 138.

And here's a grid handout that might be useful: http://www.cap.gov/documents/u_8604062763024134566.pdf
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Al Sayre

Here's another grid handout I made for my Squadron, it's posted on the Emergency Services page of our Squadron website (http://serms100.googlepages.com) and allows you to go back and forth between grid systems.  I only did it for 4 sectionals, but you can get the idea pretty easy and make one for the sectionals that cover your area of operation.

http://serms100.googlepages.com/MSChartGrids.pdf

You might find our Emergency Services page useful also.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

stillamarine

Guys,

Thanks for all the help and links for a non-birdman. I have found a ton of info from you guys and I'm eating it up! (Might need a bigger hard drive/printer!) 

Stopped by the FBO today, and unfortunately they are just disposed of all their out of date sectionals for the area (my luck!)  Guess I'll keep my eye open for one.  I did find a link (from one of the many you guys provided) that gave me the sectional for New Orleans (the local one for NW FL) in pdf format. Pretty Neat!

I agree that moving hard and quick in training helps you to learn.  In my experience as a volunteer FF if you spread all your training out, by the time you get to the end you forget what you learned in the beginning! Luckily, this squadron is a very active unit that flies a lot.  They currently have 2 a/c assigned (C-172 and C-182).  The CC foresees that at the rate I am going I can probably look at gettin gin the air with in the next couple weeks, YAY!

For the MOs out there. How many of you are non-pilots?  Just curious.  I want to one day get my private pilots license, but just can't never seem to get the money to do it.  Ah well one of these days!

Anyways.

Enjoy the Day!

Tim

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

DNall

buy the current sectional (it's cheap) if you're going to be flying a lot. Out dated ones are fine for training & gridding out for oberserver flying, but it's better if it's fairly recent rather than a few years old. If you really want a free one, call a few other area FBOs & see if they got some. They'll usually give you the whole stock for unit training (may have cadets tape together the whole country at some point).

I'm not a pilot, and that made learning some of the early stuff hard, but you get over it, and if/when you do get some money together to get some lessons in then it'll jump start your progression.

SarDragon

If you go to eBay, they have the complete set of sectionals on CD/DVD for @ $10. They are usually in the Pilot Gear section. They do need a large format printer to get paper copies, but they are handy to have on a computer while doing ELT chasing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

stillamarine

**UPDATE**

Well I've finally gotten my prereq's done for MS and I have my first flight on Saturday!! Fire Patrol of the local Military Reservation! I'm excited of course.

Next will be getting my 2 flights, Finishing the back side of the SQTR and getting fully Mission Scanner qual'd. After that it's on to earning my MO wings!

Also need to start working on a speciality track, Fun!

Thanks everyone for your help!

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Capt Rivera

Quote from: stillamarine on May 02, 2007, 01:19:39 AM
**UPDATE**

Well I've finally gotten my prereq's done for MS and I have my first flight on Saturday!! Fire Patrol of the local Military Reservation! I'm excited of course.

Next will be getting my 2 flights, Finishing the back side of the SQTR and getting fully Mission Scanner qual'd. After that it's on to earning my MO wings!

Any updates?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SJFedor

**UPDATE**

Tim-

I also have a PDF copy of the NESA- Mission Aircrew School Mission Aircrew Reference text. It's what they use up at the schoolhouse, and it's really written with the non pilot in mind, and mainly geared towards observer, but a lot of the stuff carries into scanner as well. If you'd like it, PM me and I'll email you a copy. It's rather large though (~7meg)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

stillamarine

Quote from: riveraj on May 19, 2007, 06:26:45 PM
**UPDATE**

Any updates?

I am a qualified Mission Scanner as of now!  I flew 2 sorties today on Fire Patrol for about 4.1 hours total.  I have another 2 sorties tomorrow with probably about the same time frame.

I just got my MO SQTR signed by the CC so I can start working on that. My goal was to have it done by the Wing Conference next month, but I doubt I'll be able to find a B/CUT class in time. So defintly when I get back.

Thanks everyone for all your help! You guys defintly made it possible with the help provided online.

Quote from: SJFedor on May 19, 2007, 11:22:22 PM

Tim-

I also have a PDF copy of the NESA- Mission Aircrew School Mission Aircrew Reference text. It's what they use up at the schoolhouse, and it's really written with the non pilot in mind, and mainly geared towards observer, but a lot of the stuff carries into scanner as well. If you'd like it, PM me and I'll email you a copy. It's rather large though (~7meg)

I'd love a copy of it! Email it please when you get the chance!

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SJFedor

I'll have it on the way tonight.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver