Main Menu

Work/Rest and Water Consumption Table

Started by MIKE, July 17, 2012, 09:49:42 PM

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

We got word that CAP-USAF reinstated their Heat Index table as well this week, pending publishing of a new policy.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

You know it is funny.....in my 22 years on active duty....out side of AETC....no one....and I mean no one....knew or cared about the heat index/work/rest cycle charts.

We had leaders in the field with our teams who were expected to do the right thing....we did not need a chart to tell the LT that...no were are taking a break.....we had a CMSgt for that!  >:D

My point is......Situational Leadership and ORM is not driven by regs and charts and standards......it is driven by leadership.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 17, 2012, 10:15:53 PMMy point is......Situational Leadership and ORM is not driven by regs and charts and standards......it is driven by leadership.

I agree - to me this is a lot of "Safety 1st" stuff that needs to fall into "Safety 3rd".

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

You assume that the leaders have a handle on this kind of thing.  Not everyone does.  Some kind of guidance needs to go out. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Eclipse

Quote from: AirDX on July 18, 2012, 03:12:11 AM
You assume that the leaders have a handle on this kind of thing.  Not everyone does.  Some kind of guidance needs to go out.

Only as a CYA - those with a lick of common sense are already operating under those rules, posted or not, and
those without it are arguing with their Safety Officers that "With the confidence course Black Flagged, that leaves it open for us!".

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

disagree.  I know my location, my mission and my people.  There is no medical type at head quarters who can write any guidance that will help me get my mission done.

AirDX

Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2012, 07:37:30 AM
disagree.  I know my location, my mission and my people.  There is no medical type at head quarters who can write any guidance that will help me get my mission done.

I said not everyone does.  You probably do.  There are plenty that don't. 

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2012, 03:16:00 AM

"those with a lick of common sense"

If everyone had that, our problems would be far fewer.  Not everyone does. 

lordmonar

Quote from: AirDX on July 18, 2012, 10:09:20 AM

Then you educate the ones who don't.....you don't dictate policy.  That has always been my beef with Safety. 

Stonewall

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking.  Safety is doing the right thing ONLY when someone is looking.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on July 18, 2012, 01:29:37 PM
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking.  Safety is doing the right thing ONLY when someone is looking.

There's a T-Shirt!

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2012, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: AirDX on July 18, 2012, 10:09:20 AM

Then you educate the ones who don't.....you don't dictate policy.  That has always been my beef with Safety.
Which is why we have monthly safety education.

AirDX

Unfortunately, judging by the mishap reports that we see, there are more than a few people the never do the right thing, regardless of who's looking.  The best way to get rid of safety requirements and policies?  Don't do stupid [Filter Subversion].

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: AirDX on July 19, 2012, 02:33:55 AM

Unfortunately, judging by the mishap reports that we see, there are more than a few people the never do the right thing, regardless of who's looking.  The best way to get rid of safety requirements and policies?  Don't do stupid [Filter Subversion].
It's unfortunate that we have preventable safety incidents, especially when a cadet or senior member gets injured :(.  Ideally the the organization as a whole has everyone thinking about safety/accident prevention as part of the culture  :clap:

You are correct about before doing something (especially with cadets), you ask yourself "Am I doing something stupid?".    Unfortunately, not everyone has the same life experiences and may make a wrong judgement call.  This is why we have guidance such as Work/Rest Water Consumption Table (Which is part of the Blue Beret cadet instruction package) to ensure there's at least some guidelines/references to utilize/refer to.
RM

jimmydeanno

"Sir, we can't run the mile today, it's black flag."

"Well, you should run faster then, so you don't hit the 10 minute mark."

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill