Main Menu

Help!

Started by Sgt. Fischer, June 24, 2012, 04:37:33 PM

Sgt. Fischer

Okay, The director of AZ wing safety emailed me this morning, and he said he wanted to talk to me about become cadet wing safety officer! I am very excited, but I don't know how I should prepare to talk with him. He said he wanted to "Discuss My Qualifications". I was hoping someone here might be able to help me! Thanks!

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Extremepredjudice

Congratulations, just prepare a resume to hand to the director with all of your experiences and stuff, and be prepared to talk about each one... Just like any other interview.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Before you start discussing "qualifications", ask, specifically, what the duties will entail, and press for details.

There's no point in interviewing for a job you don't want or cannot do.

"That Others May Zoom"

caphornbuckle

As a former Wing Director of Safety, I agree with everything that's already been said.

If you feel you can do it after your interview, get all of the experience you can get out of it!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Pylon

Very cool.  As a cadet I never had any staff experience above squadron level (save for encampment); as a senior member, seeing group, wing, etc. operate was like seeing a whole 'nother portion of CAP.  It will definitely help give you some interesting insight into leadership and the mechanics of CAP, even as a cadet assistant.

Keep in mind that cadet assistants to staff officers at any echelon don't hold any "authority" over those at lower echelons.  In other words, the staff officer to staff officer relationship isn't a command one.  You cannot order or direct a cadet safety assistant at a group or squadron just like the senior member wing [staff dept] director can't order around his or her counterparts at the squadron or group.  It's a collaborative relationship.  At the headquarters level, you are there to help support the squadron implement the mission. 

If the wing director of safety said he wants to "discuss your qualifications," I would prepare by making a quick summary on paper of your experience and qualifications in CAP.  Start by listing your previous staff positions at the squadron and activities.  List any schools or activities you're a "graduate" from.  List accomplishments and things you've done specifically as cadet safety officer.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Sgt. Fischer

I thank you for your advice, but, I have talked over the position with my senior squadron wing safety officer, and he believes I am not ready for this position, and now that I think about the reasons he gave me, I agree with him. I believe i should get more experience and practice teaching at a squadron level, before I advance to wing.

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on June 25, 2012, 02:23:47 PM
I thank you for your advice, but, I have talked over the position with my senior squadron wing safety officer, and he believes I am not ready for this position, and now that I think about the reasons he gave me, I agree with him. I believe i should get more experience and practice teaching at a squadron level, before I advance to wing.

Your decision is very mature and impressive. 

lordmonar

Quote from: 754837 on June 25, 2012, 05:36:21 PM
Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on June 25, 2012, 02:23:47 PM

Your decision is very mature and impressive.
Thank the FSM for small miracles.

The whole "you need to appoint a squadron cadet saftey officer" "you need a wing cadet safety officer" is a MAJOR Pet Peeve with me!

If safety wants to get inserted into the cadet program....okay....let's change the L2L curriculem and add Safety Officer (we can use in place of Flight Commander).  But I have not been able to figure out exactly what the Cadet Safety Officer is supposed to do.  Let alone what the wing cadet safety officer is doing?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: lordmonar on June 25, 2012, 11:09:27 PM
If safety wants to get inserted into the cadet program....okay....let's change the L2L curriculem and add Safety Officer (we can use in place of Flight Commander).

I think its the same reasoning as any other cadet staff experience.  Personnel, admin, public affairs, etc. aren't necessarily part of the L2L curriculum either.  But cadets can and do serve in staff roles related to those functional areas for the experience they gain from it.

Quote from: lordmonar on June 25, 2012, 11:09:27 PM

But I have not been able to figure out exactly what the Cadet Safety Officer is supposed to do.  Let alone what the wing cadet safety officer is doing?

Well, you and me both then I guess because I'm not entirely sure really what a need Senior Member Wing Safety Officer really satisifes.

AirDX

For one thing you need to be a cadet 2nd Lt or higher.  I don't know if your sig is up to date, but...
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AirDX

Quote from: Pylon on June 25, 2012, 11:22:43 PM

Well, you and me both then I guess because I'm not entirely sure really what a need Senior Member Wing Safety Officer really satisifes.

How about trying to preserve our assets... and our lives?  I always thought that was a reasonable need.

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: AirDX on June 26, 2012, 10:48:38 PM
For one thing you need to be a cadet 2nd Lt or higher.  I don't know if your sig is up to date, but...

No. He said it was open to anyone is phases 2-4.

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Pylon

Quote from: AirDX on June 26, 2012, 10:50:09 PM

How about trying to preserve our assets... and our lives?  I always thought that was a reasonable need.

I wasn't being facetious, I really don't know what the routine duties of a Wing or Region Safety officer would actually entail.  Yes, the safety program helps preserve our assets and protect the members from unnecessary risk, but if every operational unit has a safety officer and every activity (regardless of host echelon) has an activity safety officer, what does a higher hq safety officer do?  Just ensure the lower echelon safety officers are properly trained? 

caphornbuckle

Quote from: Pylon on June 27, 2012, 04:19:56 AM
Quote from: AirDX on June 26, 2012, 10:50:09 PM

I wasn't being facetious, I really don't know what the routine duties of a Wing or Region Safety officer would actually entail.  Yes, the safety program helps preserve our assets and protect the members from unnecessary risk, but if every operational unit has a safety officer and every activity (regardless of host echelon) has an activity safety officer, what does a higher hq safety officer do?  Just ensure the lower echelon safety officers are properly trained?

My duties were to ensure the lower echelons were doing their jobs.  For the most part, I made sure that a safety officer was assigned to a unit and that the unit commander was not the safety officer, kept track of the monthly unit safety education reports, served as the first contact when a mishap occured, reviewed mishaps and, at times, performed 79 follow-ups, assisted in the development of unit and wing safety policies, assisted unit in preparation for the safety portion of SUI's (or whenever they needed me), provided safety education training to the members of wing HQ, etc.

If done right, it can be another full-time job!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

RogueLeader

When I was on Active Duty (it was on Ft Bragg, 20th Eng BDE) I was assigned to the Brigade Safety Office, and also the HHC 20th ENG Safety NCO.  It was a full time job.  I monitored the Battalion and Company Safety Program, ensuring that the lower echelons were doing what they were supposed to.  (Most weren't.)  I had to be a subject matter expert on several mishaps as to what the regs say, and if they didn't, what NC state law says.  Then I had to brief the BDE COL and CSM on what was going on every quarter.  Kept me pretty busy.  I do believe that it would be fairly similar for CAP
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AirDX

Quote from: caphornbuckle on June 27, 2012, 04:27:07 AM
My duties were to ensure the lower echelons were doing their jobs.  For the most part, I made sure that a safety officer was assigned to a unit and that the unit commander was not the safety officer, kept track of the monthly unit safety education reports, served as the first contact when a mishap occured, reviewed mishaps and, at times, performed 79 follow-ups, assisted in the development of unit and wing safety policies, assisted unit in preparation for the safety portion of SUI's (or whenever they needed me), provided safety education training to the members of wing HQ, etc.
If done right, it can be another full-time job!
A good list.

I'll add that NHQ and the regions are now asking for accountability with the annual safety surveys and the Form 79s.  If you identify a problem in a safety survey at the unit level, eyes are now watching to insure the item gets closed.  Similarly, if you close out a Form 79 with a promise to correct, repair, or brief an item, you'd best do it because people will be asking when and how you did it.

AirDX

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on June 27, 2012, 12:13:40 AM
Quote from: AirDX on June 26, 2012, 10:48:38 PM

No. He said it was open to anyone is phases 2-4.
CAPR 62-1, Sec. 3:

f. Cadet Safety Officer Responsibilities. A cadet should be assigned as an assistant to the unit staff safety officer in all units (squadrons, wings, regions and National level) that have cadet members actively participating. The primary role of the cadet safety officer is to study and mentor under the supervision of the unit safety officer. The cadet safety officer will learn the primary functions of the unit safety officer and be given the opportunity to demonstrate skills in safety leadership, education and presentations. Cadet safety officers will provide liaisons between the unit safety officer and cadet command staff. This position is limited to cadets in Phases II through IV. NOTE: Cadet safety officers may be Phase II NCOs at the flight and squadron-level ONLY.

A group or above cadet safety officer needs to Phase III or above.