CAPR 52-16 CADET PROGRAM MANAGEMENT

Started by MIKE, September 29, 2006, 06:03:06 PM

capchiro

It doesn't appear that they decided to implement the fast promotion track for older recruits that had been discussed.  It also appears that testing for the Mitchell has changed since there is now a requirement for Aerospace Testing.  Are they shortening the Leadership test and then doing a seperate Aero test?  I wonder if the new Mitchell will be easier or harder.  During testing, at our last meeting, I looked at the new Arnold test and was surprised as it seemed to be based more on common sense than on book knowledge.  Anyone else have any feedback on this?
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

BlackKnight

I see in the new CAPR 52-16 where they mention changing something on the Mitchell test, but that test has always had an aerospace component: 50 questions on leadership, drill & flag protocol, and 50 questions on aerospace.    Perhaps you were thinking of the Wright Brothers milestone test? It has no aerospace component because the AE modules may be studied in random order by Phase I and II cadets.

I also see mention on the national website that new Mitchell and Earhart tests were mailed to the squadrons in September.  Everyone else got theirs I presume?  Still looking at an empty mail bin here...

What's everyone's opinion on the other changes in 52-16?   Clarification of Moral Leadership class content; Fraternization rules; Cadets barred from being appointed to senior squadron staff positions; Eaker speech & essay requirement?
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

capchiro

Phil, although the old Mitchell did have both leadership and aerospace parts, the new Mitchell has two individual tests, one for each.  May just be a split in the old test, but I will have to check.  We did have to call National to get our test mailed because we also had the empty mail box syndrome.  What does one do with a cadet that was in between his last requirement and his Mitchell? He had taken the Mitchell once and not passed, it, but now he doesn't have the new 60 day requirement to take the Mitchell?  Is he SOL?  Doesn't seem fair???
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

BlackKnight

The way I read it is that effective 1 Oct 2006 the Mitchell candidate is truly SOL and must satisfy the 60-day time-in-grade requirement.  There was a thread on CAPSTUFF.org back in August where several clever cadets were strategizing how they could beat the 1 Oct deadline and get their milestone awards completed by 30 Sep.

This is one of the few changes in the new revision of CAPR 52-16 I'm unhappy with.  It seems to me that if you're going to define a milestone award as being "the ability to demonstrate a comprehensive mastery of previously covered material", then normal time-in-grade requirements should not apply since the cadet isn't doing anything "new" for the award.  From the time a cadet achieves the Goddard, they now have 120-days minimum to serve as a C/CMSGT.  There's no time-in-grade requirement for the Spaatz once the cadet completes the Eaker.  Wonder why NHQ felt compelled to apply one for the other milestone awards?  And this amplifies even further the AFJROTC advantage of 30 days time-in-grade because they now automatically gain an extra 30-days at every milestone if they have adequate JROTC service.  Under the old rules my hi-speed non-AFJROTC cadets would typically catch up with those primadonnas at the milestones awards.  ;)

Thanks for the heads-up on calling NHQ to get the tests sent.  I'll pass that along to our TCO.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

MIKE

It's mostly an administrative change... Before, if you completed every achievement in the minimum time in grade allowed, you might still have to wait to be eligible to take the milestone award exam since you don't have 6, 18 etc months since your join date.  If you had the 6 or 18 months etc in, some units were letting cadets take milestone award exams almost immediately following promotion to the previous achievement.  Congrats on your promotion C/SrA Highspeed... Please allow about a week for your promotion to C/SSgt to clear NHQ.  Now everybody waits rather than being a C/SrA for a day.

I think it's a good change anyway, as a Deputy Commander for Cadets.
Mike Johnston