Main Menu

Metro Detroit Units?

Started by jnazars@yahoo.com, May 28, 2015, 12:36:06 AM

jnazars@yahoo.com

Greetings

I am not a member yet but I have certainly been thinking about joining for almost a year now. I had to make some job changes in order to find the time to be able to commit. At this point I'm looking for a unit. Ive been to the CAP website and located some units close to me. The closest one is more than likely the Ypsilanti composite squadron.

My question at this point is, do I just show up at the scheduled meeting times that's posted on their website? I just feel kind of out of place just showing up unannounced. I sent them an email but I think the spam filters may have blocked it as I have not received a reply yet.

Also most of the units around here all seem to meet on Tuesdays. I start my new job in a couple weeks and I have no idea what my work schedule will be and if I have to work Tuesdays I'm hoping to find other units that may meet on other days to keep that option open.

lordmonar

You can always call ahead.....but most units don't require it unless there are special access issues.

Also be aware...the internet sometimes lies.....I spent three weeks trying to get to a meeting in a NMWG unit....but they changed meeting nights and places but never updated their info on the wing web site.  (they have since fixed it once it was pointed out to them) so a phone call just to make sure is always a good idea.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

I've had people show up out of the blue, and people we met at events, and people who call ahead. All became members. Sometimes it helps to have a bit of a heads up, so our R&R folks can have stuff ready to talk about/show.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Slim

Where exactly in the metro Detroit area are you moving?  I'm in that area, and can help steer you in the right direction.  True, most of the units in the area meet on Tuesdays, but there is one that meets on Thursday, and another one changing to Wednesday.  If you're going to be in the Ypsilanti area, either one of those are close options.

Shoot me a private message if you'd like.

Edit:  Calling ahead is always best.  For instance, my unit meets on a secure Army Reserve facility.  If we don't know you're coming, we won't be able to send someone to the gate to let you in.

Slim

jnazars@yahoo.com

Actually I live in the area. Ive lived in Michigan my whole life. I changed jobs. I'm an OTR truck driver but after 5 years of being out here I'm done, I just can't take it no more. 5 years of this is enough for me.

I was finally able to find something local delivering products to gas stations and now that I will have time I'm looking to volunteer. I had always wanted to join the air force but life issues kept me out. I'm 35 now, I could still enlist but ill pass. Most of the recruiters Ive talked to have told me that I would likely not be satisfied with my experience because of my age. I also have a color deficiency and it would severely limit what I would be allowed to do. So it looks like AF AUX is my best bet. In fact it was an AF Recruiter that told me about the civil air patrol and told me I would probably get more of a rewarding experience with the civil air patrol because I won't be restricted because of my age or the color deficiency.

JacobAnn

Quote from: jnazars@yahoo.com on May 30, 2015, 02:44:18 AM
I'm 35 now, I could still enlist but ill pass. Most of the recruiters Ive talked to have told me that I would likely not be satisfied with my experience because of my age.

When I read this I thought you were incorrect but I researched it and learned that the USAF did raise the maximum age for enlisted recruits from 27 to 39.  That is a significant increase.  I'm glad the recruiters were upfront with you about your potential experience.  When I went through basic training back in the 60s we had a recruit with us who was 23 and he was always referred to as the old man.

jnazars@yahoo.com

Yeah I guess they raised it last year. See I have a degree and that I think is why they said it may not be a good idea for me to enlist because the reason they raised the age was to try to fill all the leftover jobs that no one else wanted and with my age and the color deficiency I would be stuck in the enlisted ranks and be unlikely to advance very far in the enlisted ranks and everyone close to my age would greatly out rank me and I would have to take orders from someone 15 years or more younger then me. So yeah, I'll pass.

SarDragon

Quote from: jnazars@yahoo.com on May 30, 2015, 01:37:47 PM
Yeah I guess they raised it last year. See I have a degree and that I think is why they said it may not be a good idea for me to enlist because the reason they raised the age was to try to fill all the leftover jobs that no one else wanted and with my age and the color deficiency I would be stuck in the enlisted ranks and be unlikely to advance very far in the enlisted ranks and everyone close to my age would greatly out rank me and I would have to take orders from someone 15 years or more younger then me. So yeah, I'll pass.
Red text - why would you not be able to advance very far? Play the game, do your job, advance your knowledge, and move up.

Blue text - what's the problem with that? As a 40 yo, I was working for officers that much younger than I. Not a big deal. We each knew our positions in the hierarchy. That happens frequently in the military.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Ahhhhh....the day you meet an officer who was not even born when you enlisted.

Yep....definitely a problem.   ;D

FWIW....being older and joining up is going to be a shock.  You do have to adjust.  But I've seen it done....mostly for guard and reserve types...but I've seen it done.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP