Flight Academy Experience

Started by Pulsar, April 21, 2015, 04:36:25 PM

Pulsar

Recently I was selected to attend a Powered flight academy. I was looking at the syllabus and saw a pretty specific flight plan.

For students who have already soloed or have a lot of experience and flight time, is it possible to get some cross country instruction, night flying, maybe a little "under the hood" flying and other private pilot stuff done there?   Is this within regulation?

I didn't know if they had a very tight schedule; and if this training would mess up other cadets flights (especially cross country training)

Also, any information on what the week is like would be helpful.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

FW

Last I checked, Power Flight Academy is geared to obtaining a solo rating (or pre-solo rating).  It is not meant to continue on with flight training.  That said, it could be possible.  You need to contact the Director and find out before you make the commitment to attend.  If you are already passed solo, you may not get what you're looking for.

Pulsar

At an academy, can the student have any say in what aircraft or instructor the prefer or is it all pre-assigned into law?

Does anyone know who the instructors will be at the NER powered academy in Maine?
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Al Sayre

Q1.  I don't know

Q2.  The ones who are giving up their time and income to provide free instruction.  Be sure to thank them.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

FW

TexasBEAST

Quote from: Pulsar on May 27, 2015, 04:01:24 PM
At an academy, can the student have any say in what aircraft or instructor the prefer or is it all pre-assigned into law?
At the old 1994 TXWG Solo Encampment, we cadet student pilots were assigned to our instructors and aircraft. Some had 152s, some had basic 172s, and some had souped-up 172s.

My 172 was grounded for maintenance on Tuesday night, so we got to fly in the WG/CC's own "personal" (corporate) AC until Thursday at lunch, when we got our original plane back.
--TB