Celebrities in CAP?

Started by JCW0312, December 09, 2007, 01:52:43 AM

Cobra1597

A "BJ Lang," who was a host or something on MTV at the time, visited my squadron and talked to my cadets a few years back. Don't know if he's still in CAP.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Spike

Quote from: Smithsonia on January 15, 2010, 01:01:32 AM
I have seen (somewhere) a CO/WG Membership for Former Mercury Astronaut Scott Carpenter. I think all of the original astronauts through Apollo were members, although likely honorary.

Are Astronauts celebrities??  You never see any astronaut clothing merchandise or see them hosting TV shows or getting a spot on Fox News.  Celebrities are so fake.  Blah......

Smithsonia

Spike;
Wally Schirra, Alan Shepard, Pete Conrad, Buzz Aldren, Neil Armstrong (well he did promos on Discovery for "First Flights), Scott Carpenter, Jim Lovell, At one time Frank Borman as President of Eastern Airline was on TV everyday. These are just are just a few off the top of my head that have done commercials. When I was a young man... these guys were THE Celebrities.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

BuckeyeDEJ

Justin Timberlake's a member of a Florida squadron.

He's a cadet.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

C-150

As far as movie celeb types....I remember for sure Cliff Robertson and Dan Blocker. I am not certain, but I think George Kennedy was also.

arajca

I think a more appropriate question would be:
"What current celebrities are members of Civil Air Patrol?"

followed by:
"Would they be willing to lend their celebrity status to CAP's recruiting efforts?"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 15, 2010, 07:47:47 AM

He's a cadet.

Presumably you are not referring to the singer Justin Timberlake of boy band and "Janet Jackson Wardrobe Malfunction" fame..  So who then?

Smithsonia

OK Scott Glenn the Actor has a namesake, but not a relative I assume, in Ohio who is a CAP Logistics Officer. Actually, there used to be an Actor named Edmund O'Brien (I am Ed O'Brien) so there's close brushes with celebrity names all over the place. Now let's get off the same-name-game. That doesn't count.
http://ohwg.cap.gov/logistics.htm
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Ned

Quote from: arajca on January 15, 2010, 02:25:36 PM

followed by:
"Would they be willing to lend their celebrity status to CAP's recruiting efforts?"

Good questions.

But honestly, I can't think of too many professional athletes or Hollywood types that I would want to be associationed with CAP.

Maybe we should let sleeping dogs lie.

DC

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on December 09, 2007, 06:22:43 AM
Im amazed that NHQ hasnt tried getting John Travolta on the books. I mean the guy owns an airport....
We've tried, I used to be in the squadron near him.

He doesn't quite own the airport, just a significant amount of property adjacent to it. They actually give him quite a bit of flak, his 707 beats the runway up a lot.

Smithsonia

"My neighbors 707 is tearing up my runway!!!" I'll betcha that isn't said often any other place on earth.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

BillB

But Travolta owns an Eclipse 500, light jet a lot easier on the runway.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BjComedy

Quote from: Cobra1597 on January 15, 2010, 01:22:52 AM
A "BJ Lang," who was a host or something on MTV at the time, visited my squadron and talked to my cadets a few years back. Don't know if he's still in CAP.

Capt. Ingraham!  How are you?! 

Yep!  Still here, and still serving CAP as best I can.  I moved back out to Hollywood to pursue my work further, and miss being "deep" in with my unit.  I'm still assisting MOWG PAO remotely, and always keep up on my e-mails on the PAO lists.

When I met Capt. Ingraham, I was hosting the Simon dTOUR LIVE (ABC Family) and wanted to see the unit there!
GERALD J LANGE JR "BJ", 1LT, CAP
Assistant Public Affairs Officer
Missouri Wing, Civil Air Patrol
United States Air Force Auxiliary
Citizens Serving Communities, Above & Beyond!

P: 323.448.0645 / E: pao-a@mowg.cap.gov

BjComedy

I might add that, I am in no way a celebrity, just a broke actor/comedian who often utilizes his talents in otehr ways (such as PA for CAP).  I'm probably due for a few recruiting ribbons, but never kept track of all the people I send CAP's way (such as people that recognize me on long flights from LGA to LAX, like tonight when I told a recent retiree about CAP).

Thanks for all you do!
GERALD J LANGE JR "BJ", 1LT, CAP
Assistant Public Affairs Officer
Missouri Wing, Civil Air Patrol
United States Air Force Auxiliary
Citizens Serving Communities, Above & Beyond!

P: 323.448.0645 / E: pao-a@mowg.cap.gov

Flying Pig

Quote from: BillB on January 15, 2010, 11:44:52 PM

He also owns a nice MD520N

Gunner C

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 16, 2010, 05:29:44 PM
Quote from: BillB on January 15, 2010, 11:44:52 PM

He also owns a nice MD520N
Sometimes those part time jobs pay pretty well.  :)

raivo

He's a cadet.

;D Yes indeed.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JoeTomasone

How about Harrison Ford?  Unlike most (all?) other actors with a pilot's license, he has actually performed successful SAR work and hangs around the EAA.   He'd be a great spokesperson, especially if he involves his fiance.   >:D

JoeTomasone

Quote from: raivo on January 17, 2010, 02:02:30 AM

He's a cadet.

;D Yes indeed.

Am I missing the joke here??

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: Ned on January 15, 2010, 05:16:49 PM
Quote from: arajca on January 15, 2010, 02:25:36 PM

followed by:

Good questions.

But honestly, I can't think of too many professional athletes or Hollywood types that I would want to be associationed with CAP.

Maybe we should let sleeping dogs lie.
I have to agree with Ned.  All we have to do is look at Tiger Woods and see the fallout from a previous "squeaky-clean" (the type we would want to represent CAP & The Core Values) to a "social outcast."  We all have our flaws, we all have things that we would not like to be made public - but we don't have media hounding us every step of the way looking for our flaws, unlike the celebs. 

Everyone was talking about Travolta.  In the days immediately following his son's death, the media was speculating that his son had died during a Scientology ritual.  It was later proven false, but for a while, Travolta was a negative.  He also stared in Pulp Fiction.  Granted, it was a movie, but if he had been a CAP member at the time, how would we have been affected?  I personally think that Travolta would be an excellent spokesman.  But what if?  And, how well does anyone know celebs anyway?  Again, I go back to Tiger.

That's the problem with celebs - they have the power to do great things for an organization, but they also have the power to do great harm.

PS. This has given me an idea for a new thread.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"