Main Menu

CAP on the Go

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, March 18, 2012, 11:15:45 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

The "Official" CAP Theme Song, film clips provided by CAP Members, films by the USAF portraying CAP inan outstanding light.  Some for the 40's and 50's and some from just a couple years ago.

Visit www.archive.org  enter Civil Air Patrol in the Search Box, get the popcorn and a drink sit back and enjoy the shows.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

SarDragon

You can't provide enough popcorn and drinks to ever get me to listen to more than five seconds of that song in this lifetime, or the next.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cliff_Chambliss

well the song is kinda dorky but some of the other stuff is entertaining.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Luis R. Ramos

How can I download (copy) this song to my computer? I can play it, but cannot figure how to copy from the player.

Luis Ramos
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

I have mp3s' will upload later

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Vocal version.

The instrumental is just a smidge too big to attach here.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

For those that are ridiculing this music...you might also find this to be "goofy..."

Quote"Off we go into the wild blue yonder, Climbing high into the sun; Here they come zooming to meet our thunder, At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!) Down we dive, spouting our flame from under, Off with one helluva roar! We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey! Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"

"Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder, Sent it high into the blue; Hands of men blasted the world asunder; How they lived God only knew! (God only knew then!) Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer Gave us wings, ever to soar! With scouts before And bombers galore. Hey! Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"

"Here's a toast to the host Of those who love the vastness of the sky, To a friend we send a message of his brother men who fly. We drink to those who gave their all of old, Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold. A toast to the host of men we boast, the U.S. Air Force!"

"Off we go into the wild sky yonder, Keep the wings level and true; If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder Keep the nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!) Flying men, guarding the nation's border, We'll be there, followed by more! In echelon we carry on. Hey! Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"

It is the nature of these sorts of songs to have these qualities because...THE ARE FROM A DIFFERENT TIME.  If you judge them by your standards of today then even..."THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER" sounds ridiculous.

What happened with these songs is that they were "lost" to the membership for many years while the service songs of other organizations remained in use.  Since we have no CAP BANDS, other than those formed locally, they fell off the earth.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 07, 2012, 12:09:37 AM
For those that are ridiculing this music...you might also find this to be "goofy..."

Quote"Off we go into the wild blue yonder, Climbing high into the sun; Here they come zooming to meet our thunder, At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!) Down we dive, spouting our flame from under, Off with one helluva roar! We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey! Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"

"Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder, Sent it high into the blue; Hands of men blasted the world asunder; How they lived God only knew! (God only knew then!) Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer Gave us wings, ever to soar! With scouts before And bombers galore. Hey! Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"

"Here's a toast to the host Of those who love the vastness of the sky, To a friend we send a message of his brother men who fly. We drink to those who gave their all of old, Then down we roar to score the rainbow's pot of gold. A toast to the host of men we boast, the U.S. Air Force!"

"Off we go into the wild sky yonder, Keep the wings level and true; If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder Keep the nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!) Flying men, guarding the nation's border, We'll be there, followed by more! In echelon we carry on. Hey! Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!"

It is the nature of these sorts of songs to have these qualities because...THE ARE FROM A DIFFERENT TIME.  If you judge them by your standards of today then even..."THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER" sounds ridiculous.

What happened with these songs is that they were "lost" to the membership for many years while the service songs of other organizations remained in use.  Since we have no CAP BANDS, other than those formed locally, they fell off the earth.

I sure hope you're not calling the third verse of "Up We Go Into the Wild Blue Yonder" goofy.
That just happens to be the Alma Mater for the Air Force Academy and calling it goofy could possibly earn you an "accidental" air strike on your house!

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on April 07, 2012, 02:14:51 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 07, 2012, 12:09:37 AM

I sure hope you're not calling the third verse of "Up We Go Into the Wild Blue Yonder" goofy.
That just happens to be the Alma Mater for the Air Force Academy and calling it goofy could possibly earn you an "accidental" air strike on your house!

No...my point is a simple one.  People were calling into question the phrasing used in CAP on the GO as "goofy", and I was showing that the type of language used in most of these service type songs is of a type that could be called so by a contemporary person who is not intune with such traditions.

The issues, however, is a greater one.  It is the failure to find value in the traditions and conventions of the past.  In this case, many people are quick to take a dig at CAP on the GO...and make fun of it.  However, in all respects, that song should hold a high place in CAP ranks. 

And, as you point out, if I really had called the USAF song "goofy" it would have reprecussions because it is a service song and promotes a level of respect amoung its members.  Why then can I not take the same offense to the ridicule of the CAP service song, an organization of which I am a member.  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Luis R. Ramos

To Major Carrales...

A BIG YEAH! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I do not find this song any cheesier than any service song.

I think like you, that since it was not played in public, some CAP members do not hold it as a tradition or respect them. I do like both versions, and shared it with both my squadron CC and her deputy. Maybe they will take it from there playing it on our ceremonies!

And to Eclipse...

Thank you very much! I could not figure how to copy the Library of Congress version. I had already copied another instrumental version that appeared here, only needed the vocal version. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luis Ramos
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer