Main Menu

air sick

Started by hatentx, October 06, 2008, 01:05:59 AM

DC

I always find it helps to stay busy. The only times I have ever gotten airsick were when I was in the back seat doing nothing. Some kind of task that requires some degree of concentration gives me something to think about other than the "You will blow chunks, resistance is futile" message being sent to my brain...

I have never had an issue when in the front seat or in a large aircraft, so I can't speak for those scenarios...

I know people that swear by the wrist bands....

SarDragon

When I was younger, I did roller coasters frequently, and had no problems with nausea or puking. Stopped doing it for a few years, and yowza, "where's the barf bag?" when I started up again. I talked to my doc about it, and said, "the more you do it, the easier it gets". Stopping was the worst thing I could have done.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

notaNCO forever

hatentx

You kid but I thought about it

Tater

Lots of great ideas here but exposure is what will cure the problem.  Erich Hartman and Chuck Yeager barfed their guts up in pilot training and almost washed out.  The ideas presented will definitely help but it is different for different folks.  My own experience is that the more I fly the less of a problem it is.  I've done the full aerobatic thing and was ready for a big greasy burger and I've barfed on a mission right before a find.  I have talked to fighter pilots who have told me the same thing.  After being away from the g's and maneuvering for a while some (if they would admit, of course) will get a little pukey.  Bottomline, don't get discouraged, press on!  The more you do, the easier it gets.  We have a guy in our squadron we named Trashbag, because a airsick bag just wasn't enough.  He puked on every trip for the longest time.  He became one of our greatest.
Roy Knight
Airplane Driver
Fallbrook Squadron 87
CAWG