What Does Your Unit Fly?

Started by Checotah, June 13, 2014, 07:58:48 AM

Checotah

I'm new to this forum, but have been in CAP since 1980 (yup, I'm old).  Around here, most squadrons fly C182's, but I see many post references to C-172's.  Other than the Bird Dogs we used to have, the C182 just seems to me to be a good search platform.  The C172 seems to be underpowered (no offense intended).  So, for my first post here, just to satisfy my curiosity, what do the MP's in your units fly?
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

lordmonar

In Southern Nevada we got a steam gauge 182, a glass 182, a 206.  On the Green Flag side we fly a GA-8 and a 182Q SP.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

C206 with a G500 package. SoCal.

The 172s are OK where it's flat, but don't work well where the dirt has big bumps in it, like the Rockies, Sierras, Appalachians, etc. The 182 or 206 are better choices for that. We have no 172s here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

In CAWG, we fly 182Q, 182R, 182T, 182T NAV III, T182T NAV III, U206G, U206G G500, T206 NAV III.

Our unit flys a 182T NAV III

Agree with Dave for mountainous terrain and the 172.

MacGruff

aviatorguy32

INWG C172's, C182 G1000 and round dial, GA8

Panzerbjorn

We have a little of everything around here.  Of course, my area has a rather large concentration of Wing and Region personnel that gives my squadron access to more aircraft than what would probably be usual.  Currently, we have a C182T NAVIII, a C172 with Aspen, Garmin 430 and Garmin 200 (frankenplane).  We're waiting on a 206, and a GA-8 comes through on a semi regular basis through here.  Plenty of opportunity to fly whatever you fancy!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Huey Driver

Usually have a Maule and Skyhawk here. Both are equipped and ready for SAR. Depending on the mission and conditions, one may be preferable over the other. Skyhawk avionics are much better and is IFR capable, plus a Becker DF. The Maule has much better visibility for searches, along with a more powerful engine and larger useful load.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

nomiddlemas

Quote from: Checotah on June 13, 2014, 07:58:48 AM
I'm new to this forum, but have been in CAP since 1980 (yup, I'm old).  Around here, most squadrons fly C182's, but I see many post references to C-172's.  Other than the Bird Dogs we used to have, the C182 just seems to me to be a good search platform.  The C172 seems to be underpowered (no offense intended).  So, for my first post here, just to satisfy my curiosity, what do the MP's in your units fly?
The c172 in our sqdn is for training. The c-182 is for missions I believe. We still use both for oflights as well.

SunDog

Power loading is roughly equivalent - 182 has a bigger engine, but weighs more, too. The 172 can often lift more, if both airplanes have full tanks - the 182 has big fuel capacity, being designed as a traveling machine. Leave some fuel out and the 182 can still fly a very long time, and carry plenty.  Our Wing leaves the fuel at 32 per side, so it can carry a third person. For high country, the 182 has a diffrent wing and a much higher service ceiling. Being heavier, it handles turbulence and x-winds better, and is roomier.

Outside high-country use, the 172 is much more nimble, burns a lot less fuel, and costs much less to buy and maintain. 182s handle like trucks, real pigs for yanking and banking - which makes them more stable as IFR platforms. CAP tends to equip the 182s better (radios, Becker). 

If I'm paying, I fly the 172; just as well equipped for the most part, much lower fuel burn, and far better handling.  Cheaper! If CAP  was paying, I'd fly the 182; roomier, and more comfortable.

nomiddlemas

Quote from: lordmonar on June 13, 2014, 08:28:42 AM
In Southern Nevada we got a steam gauge 182, a glass 182, a 206.  On the Green Flag side we fly a GA-8 and a 182Q SP.
Wow how many planes in your sqdn? I have never been on a GA-8.  cool plane by the looks of it. 

PHall

Quote from: nomiddlemas on July 02, 2014, 01:53:39 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 13, 2014, 08:28:42 AM
Wow how many planes in your sqdn? I have never been on a GA-8.  cool plane by the looks of it.

There are a number of units in the greater Las Vegas area plus the Green Flag operation.

SunDog

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on June 13, 2014, 11:44:04 PM
. . .  Of course, my area has a rather large concentration of Wing and Region personnel that gives my squadron access to more aircraft than what would probably be usual. . .

Offered in evidence, Mi'Lord. . .

IAV8

Our primary plane is the C182 NavIII (glass).  This is great for SAR but when it comes to Orides I like to use the C172 with 180hp conversion.  This plane is simple and FUN to fly.  It doesn't overwhelm the cadets like the G1000 does.  In fact the Garmin 750 touch screen is very easy to use and understand.

Every pilot I know askes themselves the same question, What is the best plane?  The answer is always the same, you need more than just one plane to do everything you want to do.
Capt. Donnelly

Eclipse

Quote from: nomiddlemas on June 28, 2014, 01:00:12 PM
The c172 in our sqdn is for training. The c-182 is for missions I believe.

??

Why would there be a distinction?  You're supposd to "train as you fight" - assuming the 172 hasn't been converted to glass,
why have your aircrews "train" with steam gauges and then "fight" (both literally and figuratively) with the glass.

The 172s, where available, are generally preferred for o-rides because with cadets there is much less issue with payload,
and there are a lot more "twice-a-year" 172 pilots then glass.  They are usually a little cheaper to fly as well, though
that's not generally much of a factor for funded flying, unless the wing is budgeting with a micrometer.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Funny, most of the cadets I've dealt with in the past 10 years or so can relate to the G1000 much easier then the "steam gauges".
Must be the video games.

Flying Pig

Its 2014.   Aircraft are built with Glass.  Thats what cadets want to see.  Cadets are impressed by technology.  Spinning dials don't mean anything to them.  Id say most of those kids have more G1000 time on a sim than most pilots do in the plane. 

Whats the best plane for CAP?   If I had to pick on, I would make CAP a standardized fleet of 206's.  Its plane that can really do any mission CAP is asked to do. 

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 04, 2014, 05:01:32 PM
Whats the best plane for CAP?   If I had to pick on, I would make CAP a standardized fleet of 206's.  Its plane that can really do any mission CAP is asked to do.

Agreed with the 206, if money was no object.  Make some of them Turbo and some normally aspirated.

Marvin

Quote from: Mission Pilot on July 04, 2014, 05:38:31 PM
Agreed with the 206, if money was no object.  Make some of them Turbo and some normally aspirated.

I think the key phrase here is "if money is no object".  Unfortunately, it often is.  Wing needs birds to fly a certain number of hours each year to justify the annual costs.  Some of that happens via our missions.  The rest must be borne by our pilots or squadrons in un-reimbursed activities such as proficiency flights.  It's a basic economic fact that aircraft with lower operating costs/rental rates will, all things being equal, be flown more.  I'm sure there is a calculated point at which each of our birds can be realistically supported, but I would guess that those points for 182's is significantly lower than those of 206's.  Don't really know because our wing doesn't have 206's (yet).  Bottom line, I think, its that 182's would likely be flown more on the pilot's dime than 206's, thereby providing more to wing's support objectives.  Just supposition on my part.

AirAux

Late 1970's we had a brand new red Cessna 152 we used in Westpalm Beach Florida.  Used it almost daily for Sun Down patrols.  Very cheap and with the slat area, no problems.  Fun Airplane.  In the early to mid 80's in Georgia we used the T-41's from the Air Force and they were in bad shape mostly.  Use the 172 and 182 mostly now a days.