AEX Ideas... Anyone?

Started by edubb811, December 08, 2011, 04:02:38 AM

edubb811

So my squadron commander out of the blue hands me some AEX books and says "make this happen"! As stressful as this may sound, I was up for a challenge. Upon looking over the activities, I started to wonder what other projects I could come up with. Some of the projects seemed way to boring like "make a paper airplane". Any ideas?

a2capt

Hey, that paper airplane "event" can be a lot of fun too. The several times we've done it, they've gotten well into it.

a2capt

I've done those tissue balloons in a controlled environment, with monofilament line, and votive candles. They stay floating as long as the candle burns.

It's mainly a demo, otherwise a heat gun and vacuum hose to funnel the air is the heat source.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: a2capt on December 08, 2011, 05:16:03 AM
Hey, that paper airplane "event" can be a lot of fun too. The several times we've done it, they've gotten well into it.
We(my squadron) made paper airplanes, and tried to design them to fly the farthest... Then pitted each flight's best plane against each other.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Check out at about 6:15 and 6:45 in this video for two short demos.

ALWAYS VIGILANT - CIVIL AIR PATROL VOLUNTEERS
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Some tidbits on aircraft spotted in that video:

N22471 C150 Crashed on 28-Dec. 1968 1550TT - Nosed over near Yermo, Engine out off field landing.

N104PA 1942 Beech AT-11, Last registered 14-Jan. 1977 - Flying Unlimited, Santee, CA. Certificate revoked.

N58630 1973 C182, Still registered to CAP, NTSB shows it went off the end of the runway, 16-Jun 1989, Hillsboro, OR.
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001213X29883&key=1

09:03 - N110FA - CAP T-34B, San Carlos Sq 110 - Shown in this issue, restored on Page 10.
http://www.t-34.com/Mentor_Monitor/archives/2006-06_Mentor_Monitor.pdf

09:20 - N7936R - 1969 Bonanza V35A, Currently Registered to Bonazaire, Scottsdale, AZ.

a2capt

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on December 09, 2011, 06:40:27 PM
http://www.instructables.com/id/Sub-Micro-Blimp/

.... with an obstacle course made of pins and needles.. ;-)

Oh wow. I'm totally doing one of those during the next balsa plane activity >:D.

twofivexray

Take a look at the ACES program which has complete lesson plans and I have used them with both Cadets and public school students. The folks at NHQ have done a superb job at preparing age appropriate lessons.

Roger Bass, 1st Lt CAP
Roger W. Bass, 1st Lt, CAP
Easton Composite Squadron, MD-079
Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

scooter

On the edge of the AEX box if you have any prior military in your unit, have them give a brief on their military job, especially if it involved aviation. None in your unit, find one. Nothing like hearing about real life in aviation.

MichelleTesla

That is really cool.   :clap:
Maj. Michelle L. Anderson-Tesla
MER-VA-001
Mitchell #43030 - Earhart #10093 - Eaker #586