The "Membership 2000" Recruitment Program

Started by alamrcn, June 15, 2009, 07:32:16 PM

alamrcn

Members with 10 or more years in may remember large sections of CAP News keeping track of new member recruitment. The BIG push was called "Membership 2000".

Because I only kept the front page and certain articles from all my old newspapers, I'm having trouble finding the facts on whoe exactly qualified to be recognized in the program and have their name published in the CAP News.

Vanguard continues to sell this...

...However members can no longer qualify for it because there WAS a program end date. Does anyone know the time-line the M2K program went?

Do you remember seeing these?

I don't recall how many new members has to be recruited by a single exsisting member to earn the Silver and Gold levels.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

According to the April 1999 CAP News
Gold Circle: 50 members: gold rocker on patch. 
Silver Circle: 25 members:  silver rocker on patch
Bronze Circle: 15 members:  prize golf shirt
Winners Circle: 5 members.  Can wear patch and get license plate

Pylon

Ace, I may still have the CAP News papers from back then.  I'll see what else I can dig up.  I saved them because I participated in that program and earned the patch (I had that on my BDUs for the remainder of my cadet daze  :D ).  IIRC, the end date of the program actually extended into 2001.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

alamrcn

Oh, YES! I remembeer the license plate now. That just smells of the ol' Bookstore, don't it? Thanks for the number facts, that's very helpful! If we can nail down some dates of the program, that would be great! For now I'll note c.1998-2001.

So, do you think the M2K program was successful? I never saw any statistics. Maybe it's in one of the reports to congress.

I believe membership might even be down now compaired to the late 90s when this program started. You'ld have thunk Sept 11th would have strengthened our numbers, but I don't think there was much effect either way -- unless you count more cadets leaving CAP for military service.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

QuoteBronze Circle: 15 members:  prize golf shirt

Was there a Bronze Circle rocker? I don't recall.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

It didn't say anything about it.  Seems like a shirt would be a better prize than a rocker. 

BrandonKea

There was another recruiting drive not too long ago, more recent that 2000, was there not?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

DC

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 16, 2009, 10:53:25 AM
There was another recruiting drive not too long ago, more recent that 2000, was there not?
I remember there being a thing run through CAP News shortly after I joined in 05. They were offering certain tangible rewards for recruiting lots of people. I wasn't smart enough then to keep my old copies of CAP News, and I don't remember much more than that....

Spike

Quote from: alamrcn on June 16, 2009, 12:47:09 AM
You'ld have thunk Sept 11th would have strengthened our numbers, but I don't think there was much effect either way..........

Actually there was a small increase, then a HUGE jump when the billboard campaign was rolled out 2002-2003.  After people joined CAP, and learned what it truly was about, we saw our numbers decline in 2005.  Since then, nothing has brought them back up.

I remember M2K, it was such a competition in the Squadron, anyone new walking through the door was jumped on by every cadet to get them to put their name down on the application as "recruited by".

BrandonKea

Quote from: Spike on June 16, 2009, 08:51:43 PM
Quote from: alamrcn on June 16, 2009, 12:47:09 AM
You'ld have thunk Sept 11th would have strengthened our numbers, but I don't think there was much effect either way..........

Actually there was a small increase, then a HUGE jump when the billboard campaign was rolled out 2002-2003.  After people joined CAP, and learned what it truly was about, we saw our numbers decline in 2005.  Since then, nothing has brought them back up.

I remember M2K, it was such a competition in the Squadron, anyone new walking through the door was jumped on by every cadet to get them to put their name down on the application as "recruited by".

...that would explain why everyone was so friendly...

I joined in May '00.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP