Current USAF Navigation Charts

Started by GaryVC, January 08, 2017, 05:56:55 PM

GaryVC

I was a navigator in the Air Force. When I stopped flying more than 30 years ago we were using JN and GNC charts in the KC-135s and EC-135s I flew in. I know the navigators are long gone from these aircraft (and in the case of the EC-135s the aircraft are gone, too). However, some aircraft such as B-52s, (some) C-130s, and RC-135s still have navigators. I was wondering if anyone knows if paper charts are still being used in the Air Force and if so what types.

goblin

Quote from: GaryVC on January 08, 2017, 05:56:55 PM
I was a navigator in the Air Force. When I stopped flying more than 30 years ago we were using JN and GNC charts in the KC-135s and EC-135s I flew in. I know the navigators are long gone from these aircraft (and in the case of the EC-135s the aircraft are gone, too). However, some aircraft such as B-52s, (some) C-130s, and RC-135s still have navigators. I was wondering if anyone knows if paper charts are still being used in the Air Force and if so what types.

Still using JNC and GNC charts but mostly digital flip via iPads now.

McConnell KC-135s still have Navs btw.

GaryVC

Really? When I visited the inside of at KC-135 at the 50th USAF Anniversary show at Nellis in 1997, all the navigation equipment was gone from the navigator's position.  I would especially miss the radar.

PHall

Quote from: goblin on January 08, 2017, 09:36:16 PM
Quote from: GaryVC on January 08, 2017, 05:56:55 PM

Still using JNC and GNC charts but mostly digital flip via iPads now.

McConnell KC-135s still have Navs btw.

Pacer CRAG eliminated the Navigator position on KC-135's. But, RC-135's still carry 2 Navigators.

goblin

As a current KC-135 IP, I promise you that McConnell still has Navs, complete with Pacer CRAG aircraft that include Nav suites.

All other tanker units don't have them, and they are not required for most missions.

ETA: http://www.mcconnell.af.mil/News/Photos?igphoto=2000870929

GaryVC

Are there any photos of the Nav panel?