Main Menu

Shoulder Cords

Started by chief spud, September 29, 2023, 05:13:42 PM

chief spud

Good Afternoon/Morning,

I'm a new-ish cadet and I've seen people wearing these colored cords around their left shoulder. I have a few questions, specifically:
-How do I earn one?
-What are the regulation cords awarded?(I think some units have local cords, just looking for a list of the general ones)

Thanks.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

CAPR 60-1 prescribes the cord colors for Cadet Advisory Council as well.

Each colored cord a cadet wears has a different symbolism to it. Units do not have local cords. Cords fall under National standards for wearing them; although, a few wings may have a supplement authorizing a specific color.

Note that cords identify that a cadet is participating in a certain capacity, such as an Honor Guard, CAC, etc. They do not mean the cadet has received an award or qualification.

FlyingPig

There are units who have taken it upon themselves to award shoulder cords for internal squadron use outside the scope of what is allowed, so depending on where you are, just keep in mind that you may see a cord that has no relevance to anything outside of that squadron.  One example I've seen is Squadron Cadet of the Quarter and that cadet wore a purple shoulder cord.  Each time it is passed off to the next cadet.    But to reiterate what was said above, CAP does not use shoulder cords for any type of qualifications and with as big and spread out as CAP is, its unfortunately common to find a wide variety of in-house uses for things like shoulder cords.
That being said, Senior Members do not wear shoulder cords for anything.  Some years back, a national commander handed some out to senior members who were his assistants, but not sure if that ever became official.
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
CFI Airplane / CFI Helicopter
Former Sq. Commander

Eclipse

Wing CC's may authorize alternate color cords for other purposes.

The "Aide de Camp Shoulder Cord" was authorized for adults and cadets serving in that role for General Officers.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyingPig

In CAWG, way back when, the Wing commander approved a blue and gold cors for the team that won wing drill competition.  Not sure if they still do.  He had approved it for wear for the Seniors who would have also met the qualifications for the Cadet Competition ribbon   I never saw any Seniors wear the cord.  This was in the 90s.  Not sure if the CAWG team still does that.  And it was only approved inside CAWG. If for some reason you visited another wing, you took it off. When we went to Region and on to National we didnt wear it.
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
Former Sq. Commander

PHall

Quote from: FlyingPig on October 06, 2023, 02:11:52 PMIn CAWG, way back when, the Wing commander approved a blue and gold cors for the team that won wing drill competition.  Not sure if they still do.  He had approved it for wear for the Seniors who would have also met the qualifications for the Cadet Competition ribbon   I never saw any Seniors wear the cord.  This was in the 90s.  Not sure if the CAWG team still does that.  And it was only approved inside CAWG. If for some reason you visited another wing, you took it off. When we went to Region and on to National we didnt wear it.

None of the above happens anymore.

FlyingPig

Good.  Of course I didnt mind as a cadet, now that Im old, Im less excited about a hodge podge of random uniform items being approved in 50 states and additional territories
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
Former Sq. Commander

SARDOC

If they are wearing a cord other than those already provided for the CAPR. Then there should be a Wing Supplement authorizing it.  I think Texas Wing has a supplement that has the highest number of shoulder cords I've seen anywhere.

Stonewall

Quote from: SARDOC on November 09, 2023, 05:25:52 AMIf they are wearing a cord other than those already provided for the CAPR. Then there should be a Wing Supplement authorizing it.  I think Texas Wing has a supplement that has the highest number of shoulder cords I've seen anywhere.

Yes! TXWG has a lot! We had four cadets attend MOTS in Texas and they were awarded a purple-ish cord. I denied the request to wear it in our wing.

My rationale is, first, we don't have a supplement, nor was I going to spend time writing one. Two, you get an NCSA ribbon and activity patch.

Sometimes, too much is too much.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Texas loves their cords. ::)

SierraOneThree

Quote from: Stonewall on December 27, 2023, 03:56:32 PMYes! TXWG has a lot! We had four cadets attend MOTS in Texas and they were awarded a purple-ish cord. I denied the request to wear it in our wing.

My rationale is, first, we don't have a supplement, nor was I going to spend time writing one. Two, you get an NCSA ribbon and activity patch.

Ahhh, MOTS....never stop being you.

GroundHawg

Does anyone know when allowance for Seniors to wear should cords was removed? I remember Seniors wearing them when I was a cadet in the mid 90's, but when I rejoined they were gone.

SarDragon

I have looked at the 1970 and 1980 versions of CAPM 39-1. There is a mention of the manner of wearing (only one, on the left shoulder), but little on reason(s) for wear, aside from cadet CAC lanyards/fourragères.

QuoteFourragères and lanyards may be worn to denote special honor positions or may be authorized by the wing commander for special purpose activities (see chapter x) Not more than one fourragère or lanyard will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (figure n-n).

The same basic text endures through 1991. The 2005 version restricts wear solely to cadets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret