Mary Feik establishment

Started by McDaddy2003, March 21, 2017, 05:04:49 AM

McDaddy2003

Greetings,

WIWAC sitting at our Wing's CAC meeting as recorder in October 2002, I remember vividly one of the new items being on the agenda being the "adjustment of the Cadet Program and establishment of the Mary Feik Achievement effective 1 March 2003". The entire CAC was shocked. Keep in mind, in 1998-1999 the cadet program was revamped to follow the current USAF enlisted structure. There was a write in campaign for a name for the new achievement 8;-- and was announced Neil Armstrong.

There was no announcement on another revision of the cadet program previously at our CAC meetings, and it seemed this change just came out of the blue. I am wondering if anyone may be familiar if this is how they remembered the revision happening or enlighten me on how it came to be.

I mean no disrespect to the venerable late Col Mary Feik. It just seems to me, as cadet both when the Armstrong achievement was included and addition to the Feik revision, both revamps were handled completely different.

What say you?

SarDragon

The Armstrong achievement was added to allow the CAP "enlisted" rank structure to conform to the USAF structure (added E-8 and E-9 equivalents).

The Feik achievement was added when Wright Brothers was made into a milestone award, vice achievement.

As for events leading up to those changes, I wasn't back enough "in the loop" after a prolonged period on non-participation to have much knowledge.

Col. Ned, got any insight?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ned

Wow, what an interesting question.

But to be fair, I can barely remember how we have revised the program in the last couple of years, let alone 2003.

As I sit in the airport waiting for my flight to Disneyland, i can't even remember who was National Commander in 2003. Iirc (which seems like unlikely), 2003 was in the late Ray Bean era.  He was a true American hero, and was assisted by Rob Smith, another well-respected CP guru who has moved on professionally, but remains an active member.

Before I try to ping him, what is it that the OP is looking for?

I'll try to answer while stuck in the Matterhorn ride.

Майор Хаткевич

Feik was an interesting one for me...I joined officially in May 2003, but our unit was so out of the loop, I promoted to C/SSgt via no WBA test, taking the "WBA Achievement" for C/SrA. Ended up getting the grade adjustment that was done at the time from C/SSgt to C/MSgt due to my last accomplished achievement, so I never wore the Feik ribbon, never took the WBA test, and never pinned C/TSgt. What a messy time it was.

The good outcome of that was my early cadet interest in CAP Regs to make sure I knew what the program was, even when the SM leadership didn't.

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on March 21, 2017, 02:27:39 PM...who was National Commander in 2003. Iirc (which seems like unlikely), 2003 was in the late Ray Bean era. 

Brig Gen James C. Bobick, CAP, Mar 1998 - Aug 2001
Maj Gen Richard L. Bowling, CAP, Aug 2001 - Aug 2004

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Ray Bean was not a CAP/CC, he was a paid NHQ employee.

Ned knows this of course, I just want to make sure others aren't confused by Ned's wording.

dwb

The 2003 CP changes did not come out of thin air. In fact, this was early in the days of "post a reg on the internet for comments", and there was indeed a comment period.

I remember all of this because I submitted comments (through my chain of command, of course) about the regulation and all of the things I didn't like about it.

Ned

Quote from: dwb on March 21, 2017, 04:53:31 PM
Ray Bean was not a CAP/CC, he was a paid NHQ employee.

Ned knows this of course, I just want to make sure others aren't confused by Ned's wording.

(The Matterhorn is closed for refurbishment, of course, but there are no shortages of long lines from which to review CT.  I'm talking about you, Soaring Around the World.)

Yes, indeed.  Although Ray would have made an outstanding national commander, he actually had a far more crucial role as the salaried Chief of Cadet Programs.  Sorry for any confusion.

FW

Not to hijack the thread, however the mention of Ray brings a smile to me.  I enjoyed his tenure at HQ.  He was a great man and a true gem to CAP.
This is from CAPMEMBERS.COM...

Colonel Ray Bean USAF
Posted by Curt LaFond | January 21, 2014 | 3 Comments

With sadness, the National Cadet Team announces the passing of Colonel Ray Bean USAF, age 70, former Director of Cadet Programs at CAP National Headquarters. For 18 months Colonel Bean was a pancreatic cancer survivor, fighting valiantly and good naturedly against the odds. After he retired from CAP, Colonel Bean visited Cadet Officer School to speak with the cadets. Here's how I introduced the man:

A few years ago, tonight's speaker was meeting a leader of another cadet organization. The gentleman asked, "Ray, what did you do before you came to CAP?"

"I'm retired Air Force," came the answer.

"Oh. And what did you do in the Air Force?"

"I flew fighters, mostly."

One reason I love Ray Bean so much, apart from the fact that he hired me, is that he's humble and down-to-earth.

Ray doesn't boast about being a retired full colonel; or having commanded Reese AFB; or serving on the faculty of the Air War College; or being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star for Valor, and two Purple Hearts.

And it's jarring when you're just chatting and he casually begins a story with the shocking line, "One time, when I was in prison..."

Col Bean spent nine months as a guest of the government of North Vietnam in the infamous Hanoi Hilton. This is the prison where John McCain, Bud Day, Robbie Risner, and other heroes of the 4th Allied POW Wing were brutally tortured.

Now Colonel Bean will tell you that by the time he arrived at the Hilton, conditions were much improved and that his experience was nothing like what the more famous prisoners endured. But if you ask me, nine months in hell is nine months too many.

In the four years I worked for Colonel Bean, he taught me that leadership is an academic subject that deserves careful study; that you won't get anywhere if you can't see the big picture; that people respond to leaders because they respect the leader's personal character; and memorably, that I shouldn't wear corduroys in July.

Finally, you'll want to know that after retiring from the Air Force, Colonel Bean was CAP's Director of Cadet Programs for roughly seven years, and it was under his visionary leadership that Cadet Officer School was transformed from a tired old tour of Maxwell to the impressive, academically rigorous program you all enjoy today.

Tonight, I will interview Colonel Bean about a number of leadership and Air Force-related topics. Listen closely because, ladies and gentlemen, the finest leader I know is Colonel Ray Bean.

"May the odors of lilac and laurel waft / across the river, and float over his grave."  Condolences to wife Mindy and daughter Peyton. - Curt LaFond