USS Iwo Jima and how CAP embarassed the US NAVY!!

Started by afgeo4, December 15, 2005, 04:00:09 AM

afgeo4

GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

I saw this and a smirk came to my face...

While I was in VAWG, I was called to form a UDF team for an ELT search.  It was Dec '05, don't remember the exact date. Our search lead us to Naval Station Norfolk. 

Commencing a search of the base using the DF equipment, we tracked the signal down to the piers.  After convincing the guards for the pier that we were just trying to deactivate and ELT (EPIRB in this case), he let us go.  We then tracked the signal to....the USS IWO JIMA!

The OD said that they weren't recieving any signals on the emergency frequencies that they monitor, but would look into it.  After a few minutes the XO came down and asked us why we thought it was this ship instead of the others. 

We told him that our intial signals started around 1030 that morning (we didn't get called until 1700), and that we DF'd the signal to this position.  The 1030 time frame struck a chord with him, the ship had pulled into port at around that time.

He then called the comm room, who had to figure out which one was going off (I guess they have 3 beacons on board, bow, stern, and middle), and within a few minutes it was shut off.  Just as we were about to go, the XO asked us if we wanted a tour of the ship...the cadets, already proud of their performance got a bonus!

Seems that ship is on the radar quite a bit :)

Did I mention that it's a pain to get on and off a ship?  There's protocol you know :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 26, 2007, 10:31:27 PM
Doesnt change the fact that its a great story.
No kidding, It's absolutely funny.
;D ;D ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Repeat offenders. Wonderful! I'll mark my calendar for the next time they dock here. Glad to know they knew what to do this time and how to shut it down. The beacon set off on my mission was the main middle one.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

A somewhat related story from CAP News Online:

Emergency signals interrupt Va. squadron's meeting

Newport News Composite members trace signals to destroyer, helicopter at naval station
July 13, 2007

VIRGINIA -- Newport News Composite Squadron members were participating in an aviation safety program recently when they got a taste of the real thing after being advised of and then tracking down emergency signals emtting from malfunctioning equipment on, respectively, a destroyer and a helicopter at Naval Station Norfolk, the Hampton Roads Daily Press reports in an article written by 1st Lt. Richard Hartung, a squadron member.

Downeast

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 15, 2005, 04:00:09 AM

Now I don't know if this mission was all that and a bag of chips, but I sure won't forget it.

Yes, but did you at least get a FIND ribbon out of it?

DC

Wow, two year thread bump, quoting a 3 1/2 year old post!  :clap:

afgeo4

Quote from: Downeast on June 26, 2009, 06:38:53 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on December 15, 2005, 04:00:09 AM

Now I don't know if this mission was all that and a bag of chips, but I sure won't forget it.

Yes, but did you at least get a FIND ribbon out of it?

Yes, in fact I did.
GEORGE LURYE