Juvenile use of Cannabis (aka "MJ) appears linked to adult depression & suicides

Started by Live2Learn, February 16, 2019, 05:42:37 AM

Live2Learn

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-47215806

This is an interesting report derived from British & Canadian data.  Maybe the drug isn't the harmless high as some have successfully argued in recent initiatives around the US.  TANSTAAFL evidently applies to human biology as it does in the Dismal Science (economics).   

[spelling fixes]

Fester

I think your interpretation of the data is flawed.  Perhaps due to bias.  The ONLY conclusion that the study shows is an increased risk of depression in young adult years (18-35) in those who used cannabis under 18 years old.  The conclusion as to the theory of increased suicide risk was that "the data on that trend was not considered robust enough to draw a firm conclusion."

Additionally, the main conclusion as to the theories was "No. The researchers were unable to prove cannabis use was definitively causing depression."

Here's where I think our nation's focus should be, instead of on continuing to criminalize something that has shown to have countless positive effects on countless health issues:

2016 numbers:
Deaths Attributed to Tobacco Smoking   480,320
Drug-Induced Deaths   67,265 (none of which are attributed to cannabis)
Injury by Firearms   38,658
Alcohol-Induced Deaths   34,865
Cannabis (Marijuana)   0

Just MHO.

1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Spam

Correllation does not imply Causation.

Let us not ever forget that...

Just because a certain population exhibits two behaviors (depression and recreational THC use) no causation should be inferred. One can't jump to say that THC causes depression... Or that subjects resort to use because of other life stressor factors. They are simply correlated at some degree of significance.

This is basic stats.

R/s
Spam

abdsp51

Let's not forget the countless deaths, injuries and other factors that come from this "harmless drug". 

It's still illegal on the federal level and many employers have a zero tolerance level for drug use to include cannabis.  Plus it's well know that it's a gateway drug. 

Nothing harmless ever comes from addictive substances. 

Gunsotsu

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 16, 2019, 01:42:55 PM
Let's not forget the countless deaths, injuries and other factors that come from this "harmless drug". 

It's still illegal on the federal level and many employers have a zero tolerance level for drug use to include cannabis.  Plus it's well know that it's a gateway drug. 

Countless? Gateway drug? Addictive? Cite your sources.

abdsp51

Quote from: Gunsotsu on February 16, 2019, 04:15:51 PM

100+ dui fatalities in CO in 2016 where a driver was dui with THC in his/her system.  Also New Zealand reports 32 deaths attributed to marijuanna annually.

Gateway drug personal experience my own brother and several friends started with weed and upped the ante to lsd and who knows what else. 

Not to mention the deaths from drug deals gone bad, the transportation of it etc. 

And yes addictive marijuanna carries some of the same chemicals as tobacco. 

Let's cut the liberal agenda amd blinders about how safe and harmless marijuanna is when the reality is farther from the truth..

OldGuy

1 - Cannabis is still a federal crime
2 - we have a robust cadet program for teens, part of that includes anti-drug information (Health, career and moral education components)
3 - The Red Ribbon Leadership Academy places high school aged cadet NCOs and officers in front of middle school students (non-cadets) to serve as role models and leadership educators during a 3-hour workshop. The "red ribbon" symbolizes the Academy's role in promoting the drug-free ethic.

Program Goals
To equip middle school student leaders with a basic understanding of the art and science of leadership.
To promote the drug-free ethic among middle school student leaders by using CAP cadets as role models.
To provide a venue for cadet officers and NCOs to apply their leadership skills.
To increase the Cadet Program's visibility in the community and boost cadet recruiting.

OldGuy

OldGuy

Quote from: Spam on February 16, 2019, 08:58:42 AM

[sic] Correllation does not imply [sic] Causation.

Phillip Morris and RJ Reynolds said that for years too. Odd.

OldGuy

Quote from: Live2Learn on February 16, 2019, 05:42:37 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-47215806

This is an interesting report derived from British & Canadian data.  Maybe the drug isn't the harmless high as some have successfully argued in recent initiatives around the US.  TANSTAAFL evidently applies to human biology as it does in the Dismal Science (economics).   

[spelling fixes]
Economics is the issue. States have to balance budgets and the triple whammy of underfunded pensions, over-promised medicaid (mainly long term care) and demography (fewer state employees paying into an aging and failing pension system) have them searching for revenues wherever they can.

Fester

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 16, 2019, 04:54:03 PM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on February 16, 2019, 04:15:51 PM

100+ dui fatalities in CO in 2016 where a driver was dui with THC in his/her system.  Also New Zealand reports 32 deaths attributed to marijuanna annually.

Gateway drug personal experience my own brother and several friends started with weed and upped the ante to lsd and who knows what else. 

Not to mention the deaths from drug deals gone bad, the transportation of it etc. 

And yes addictive marijuanna carries some of the same chemicals as tobacco. 

Let's cut the liberal agenda amd blinders about how safe and harmless marijuanna is when the reality is farther from the truth..

As previously requested, I'd love to see your source for this claim.  Last I looked, which was last night, there has not been a single death caused by cannabis.  Is it possible that there were 100+ DUI fatalities in CO in 2016 where the driver had THC in their body?  Sure.  But I'd be curious to know what OTHER substances were found.  I'd be willing to take a gamble that cannabis was NOT the cause of those fatalities.  I'd be more than willing to bet that the cause was alcohol or other controlled substances.

The legalization of cannabis is NOT a "liberal agenda."  There are dozens of studies that show that the proper use of cannabis provides COUNTLESS benefits for sufferers of COUNTLESS medical conditions.  Peer-reviewed, scientifically accurate studies.  Legalization of medicinal cannabis is supported on BOTH sides of the aisle by millions of Americans who have SEEN the benefits.

Furthermore, there are even MORE scientifically accurate studies that show that cannabis is not addictive.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: OldGuy on February 16, 2019, 05:54:11 PM
1 - Cannabis is still a federal crime
2 - we have a robust cadet program for teens, part of that includes anti-drug information (Health, career and moral education components)
3 - The Red Ribbon Leadership Academy places high school aged cadet NCOs and officers in front of middle school students (non-cadets) to serve as role models and leadership educators during a 3-hour workshop. The "red ribbon" symbolizes the Academy's role in promoting the drug-free ethic.

Program Goals
To equip middle school student leaders with a basic understanding of the art and science of leadership.
To promote the drug-free ethic among middle school student leaders by using CAP cadets as role models.
To provide a venue for cadet officers and NCOs to apply their leadership skills.
To increase the Cadet Program's visibility in the community and boost cadet recruiting.

I'm not sure how true it is, but I've been told since rejoining of Feb of 2017 that CAP is doing away with it's counterdrug programs?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

abdsp51

Quote from: Fester on February 17, 2019, 07:16:15 AM

As previously requested, I'd love to see your source for this claim.  Last I looked, which was last night, there has not been a single death caused by cannabis.  Is it possible that there were 100+ DUI fatalities in CO in 2016 where the driver had THC in their body?  Sure.  But I'd be curious to know what OTHER substances were found.  I'd be willing to take a gamble that cannabis was NOT the cause of those fatalities.  I'd be more than willing to bet that the cause was alcohol or other controlled substances.

The legalization of cannabis is NOT a "liberal agenda."  There are dozens of studies that show that the proper use of cannabis provides COUNTLESS benefits for sufferers of COUNTLESS medical conditions.  Peer-reviewed, scientifically accurate studies.  Legalization of medicinal cannabis is supported on BOTH sides of the aisle by millions of Americans who have SEEN the benefits.

Furthermore, there are even MORE scientifically accurate studies that show that cannabis is not addictive.

Legalization is a liberal agenda every state that has legalized it has had issues regulating it.  I've provided counter data and it's factual that cannabis is addictive and causes death.  But since it goes against your narrative you fail to mention that.  But then again liberals never want to hear facts unless it supports their agenda.  I'm done...

SarDragon

Okay, I this we're done here. It was going reasonably well until the politics got introduced. This is a highly charged topic, and it is hard to remain level-headed.

I'm going to shut this off for a day or two, prune the politics, and then see if we can have another go at it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret