Main Menu

G R A V I T I Y

Started by Eclipse, October 08, 2013, 07:23:07 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

+100!

Excellent movie....despite all the laws of physics that were broken and other nitpicky problems.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

It was presented as a work of fiction, so.. :)
It matters not, that the distance and difficulty of getting to Hubble from the Space Station is not well represented.. ;)

RiverAux

How come the best semi-realistic set in-our-time space movies are about disasters?  I.e., Apollo 11 and Gravity? 

Eclipse

Assuming you mean "13", a lot of people characterize Apollo 13 as one of the Space Program's greatest successes, but
of course there's not much tension in successful missions.  Titanic is just a vacation movie if it doesn't sink.

As to G R A V I T I Y, there's been some nit picking on the physics, etc., but also a number of Shuttle and ISS astronauts
who have said that it really captures what it's like on these missions.

The recommendations I read said to "make sure you see it on the biggest screen you can and in 3D..." and I agree.

The only way it would have been better is if I had gone in not expecting the disaster.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Yep, 13.  oops. 

I considered including The Right Stuff, but its been 25 years since I've seen it and I don't recall it having much in space though it is obviously about the program. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 08, 2013, 11:42:35 PM
Yep, 13.  oops. 

I considered including The Right Stuff, but its been 25 years since I've seen it and I don't recall it having much in space though it is obviously about the program.

Yeah - good movie, but much more on earth then in space.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Yeah, I never considered Neil Armstrong deftly landing The Eagle on the moon as a disaster. 

Nor would I consider the safe return of Apollo 13 after a near disaster as being a disaster. 

Both were great achievements.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Майор Хаткевич

Apollo 18 on the other hand...

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 08, 2013, 11:59:27 PM
Apollo 18 on the other hand...

Heh - at once the best and worst reason to have Netflix.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

After reading the rave reviews here I scrammed my plans for the evening and saw "GRAVITY" in 3D.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.  Highly recommended!    :clap: :clap: :clap:
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

BHartman007

I had the privilege of talking to a two time space shuttle pilot about it yesterday. He said they did an excellent job of portraying what it's like to be in space as far as the views and visual effects. But, as others have noted, it is a physical impossibility to traverse from Hubble to the ISS due to the physics of different orbital planes. I also learned that the orbital plane is dependant on the latitude the object was launched from, and why, which was an awesome conversation.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

Nominated for 10 Academy awards and so many other accolades it has a separate page for awards on Wikipedia.

DVD Drops on Feb 25th (not soon enough for me!).

Gravity Featurette - From Script to Screen (HD) Sandra Bullock, George Clooney

Gravity IMAX Featurette - Behind the Frame (HD) Sandra Bullock, George Clooney

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Just got this free from Google Movies.

Sweet!

"That Others May Zoom"