National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Saw a CAP plane flying over Mackinac Island on Monday, right around 5-:530pm ish.  Couldn't catch the tail, but was traveling roughly SE.
Wasn't able to catch a photo.

Made me wonder about the challenges specific to MIWG flying over all that water on a regular basis.

It's also the first time I realized where Drummond Island actually was (duh):
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20657.msg378880#msg378880
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=14179.msg283547#msg283547 (sadly all 404).

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on June 29, 2018, 03:22:17 PM

Made me wonder about the challenges specific to MIWG flying over all that water on a regular basis.

Does CAP still offer the CAP Over-Water Survival Classroom-based Course?

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/.../Extended_Overwater_Reqs_26DFF2369D181.pdf
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

CAP9907

Quote from: etodd on June 29, 2018, 04:22:18 PM

Does CAP still offer the CAP Over-Water Survival Classroom-based Course?

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/.../Extended_Overwater_Reqs_26DFF2369D181.pdf

I think it varies by Wing, some can do it in-house and some use a contractor. I believe RI, NJ and CT requires WS cert to fly some of their overwater missions.. maybe someone there can sound off..
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

NIN

Saw a CAP plane flying over Mackinac Island on Monday, right around 5-:530pm ish.  Couldn't catch the tail, but was traveling roughly SE.
Wasn't able to catch a photo.

It's also the first time I realized where Drummond Island actually was (duh):
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20657.msg378880#msg378880
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=14179.msg283547#msg283547 (sadly all 404).

Last time I was at a Michigan encampment (2005), General Phelka and I took a night flight from Alpena to Mackinac Island Airport. 'Tis a magical place.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

It's also the first time I realized where Drummond Island actually was (duh)

It is important to know that just to get to DeTour (where you get the ferry to DI) it's another hour+ from Mackinaw City.

It was hammered into our heads repeatedly that just to get to a hospital was an hour plus a ferry ride, minimum. At one point we were something like 8 miles (that can't be right, I don't think the island is that wide) from the nearest road, so an injured cadet would have to be carried out first... Focus, people. Focus.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

About to have a Mountain House meal with a manufactured date of June 2014.

https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/taste.html

"The Mountain House Taste Guarantee was created to let you know that we stand behind our shelf-life promise.
We guarantee your Mountain House meal, in our pouches or cans, will still taste good in 30 years!"

See you on the other side...

Edit: ~an hour later
Not too shabby - don't know about "30 years", but 4ish didn't seem to harm it at all.

I had an MRE over the weekend at a Sarex of about the same vintage that was fine, but not
nearly as tasty (though it did include cinnamon pop tarts, so that's a win!).

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Try 20+ year old MRE's sometime if you feel like being a gambler. >:D

etodd

Quote from: PHall on August 14, 2018, 07:21:43 PM

I'll take having a variety of energy bars. Could live for months off them if necessary. No preparation required. Much cheaper than MREs. No need to keep them for years. Snack on the oldest every now and then and replenish.

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2018, 05:06:38 PM
Not too shabby - don't know about "30 years", but 4ish didn't seem to harm it at all.

The oldest one I had was about 8 to 9 years old that fell in the back of a closet.  It was not too bad.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on August 14, 2018, 08:02:55 PM

I'll take having a variety of energy bars. Could live for months off them if necessary. No preparation required. Much cheaper than MREs. No need to keep them for years. Snack on the oldest every now and then and replenish.

Not if you like pooping...and snacks if what they are intended for, not a meal,
this is something that cadets do all the time - show up with a bag of granola from
Walmart and a bottle of water and call that "field rations".

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on August 14, 2018, 08:24:04 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2018, 05:06:38 PM

The oldest one I had was about 8 to 9 years old that fell in the back of a closet.  It was not too bad.

Usually just the chocolate on candy goes funky, but it's still OK to eat.  MREs are supposedly 10 year shelf life
when frozen, but much less when not stored properly (i.e. hot trunks, garages, etc.).

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2018, 08:24:39 PM
Quote from: etodd on August 14, 2018, 08:02:55 PM

Not if you like pooping...and snacks if what they are intended for, not a meal,
this is something that cadets do all the time - show up with a bag of granola from
Walmart and a bottle of water and call that "field rations".

Whats the longest time a CAP Cadet has ever had to live off whats in their backpack? Point is that at most, if one got lost, they'd be found before they got through the first few bars. LOL

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: etodd on August 14, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
Whats the longest time a CAP Cadet has ever had to live off whats in their backpack? Point is that at most, if one got lost, they'd be found before they got through the first few bars. LOL

I've gone about 4 days with what was on my back as a cadet. 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on August 14, 2018, 10:16:53 PM

I think NESA is out for more then a day on their overnights, and they are supposed to train like they fight.
You might squeak by with a few-hours at a SAREX working comms with just some granola, but
humping it in the woods is going to burn that up quick, and by day breakfast day two you'll be feeling it.

"That Others May Zoom"