Major_Chuck

Welcome...from Richmond Virginia.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pylon

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on July 30, 2005, 05:47:22 AM
I'm in...

Been a member going on 25 years now, having joined as a cadet.

Large amounts of overtime keep me away from my home squadron and Hawk Mountain far more often than I'd like. That, fortunately, is changing.

Welcome!  It's always great to have another voice of experience here on CAPTalk.  :)

Quote from: Cam89
Hi I'm from Richmond Texas.
I'm so glad that I have a place to go to and find the info I need. I will tell my fellow cadets. I'm from Sugarland Composite Squadron.

Glad you're finding CAPTalk useful.  Thanks for spreading the word.  The more people we have here, the more useful our community becomes!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cam89

It is nice to know that  I feel that I can ask any thing about C.A.P. and someone is willing to help me.
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

MIKE

Quote from: Cam89 on August 20, 2005, 12:24:29 AM
It is nice to know that  I feel that I can ask any thing about C.A.P. and someone is willing to help me.

It's all good.  We get to increase our post counts that way.  ;D :D
Mike Johnston

Cam89

Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

WICAPMOM

Hello, I am Julie Anne or Major Sorenson (Dependant on who you are)

I have been a member of Civil Air Patrol since 1987.  I joined as a cadet at the age of 16.  You can do the math...  I am obviously a senior member now, having been a member longer than many cadets have been alive.  I am happily turning 35 in less than a week. ;)  More happily I am a mom, thus the user name.  I have 10 year old twins, 1 boy & 1 girl.  ;D

I am new to the discussion board world.  I learned of CAPtalk.net from a cadet from my area, MATT.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

Xeno

Quote from: WICAPMOM on August 22, 2005, 04:38:37 PM
Hello, I am Julie Anne or Major Sorenson (Dependant on who you are)

I have been a member of Civil Air Patrol since 1987.  I joined as a cadet at the age of 16.  You can do the math...  I am obviously a senior member now, having been a member longer than many cadets have been alive.  I am happily turning 35 in less than a week. ;)  More happily I am a mom, thus the user name.  I have 10 year old twins, 1 boy & 1 girl.  ;D

I am new to the discussion board world.  I learned of CAPtalk.net from a cadet from my area, MATT.

Welcome aboard maam.
Will we have two new members in a couple of years then?
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

WICAPMOM

I am leaving that choice up to my children.

My son, Christopher says yes he wants to join.

Strangely enough my daughter, Danielle, is a bit of a princess; her mother is & was a tomboy.

Their dad; Ron, and I are very active in CAP and would love it if they both chose to join.  However, we want them to enjoy it and don't think that forcing it would help.  Currently they are both in Scouts and like the group type activities.  We believe that will help them to make their decisions in the future.  They would attend a different squadron from Ron and me, as we are in a senior support squadron.  We will let them choose what composite squadron they would feel most comfortable in.

Check out our squadron web site for the activities, most of which I am the project officer for. (Linked on my profile)
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

Pylon

Quote from: WICAPMOM on August 22, 2005, 06:56:38 PM
I am leaving that choice up to my children.

My son, Christopher says yes he wants to join.

Strangely enough my daughter, Danielle, is a bit of a princess; her mother is & was a tomboy.

Their dad; Ron, and I are very active in CAP and would love it if they both chose to join.  However, we want them to enjoy it and don't think that forcing it would help.  Currently they are both in Scouts and like the group type activities.  We believe that will help them to make their decisions in the future.  They would attend a different squadron from Ron and me, as we are in a senior support squadron.  We will let them choose what composite squadron they would feel most comfortable in.

Check out our squadron web site for the activities, most of which I am the project officer for. (Linked on my profile)

Welcome to CAPTalk!  I hope you'll find a nice home here to share ideas, exchange tips, and build a network of CAP friends, acquaintances, and mentors and mentees!  :)

The idea of a Senior Support Squadron is very new to me.  Does this unit help augment and support the activities of the other units in the Group, or how does that work?

WICAPMOM

COOL, a chance to advertise:

I am sure that it would differ from place to place as there is no official "Senior Support Squadron" definition.

In Wisconsin they did away with groups some years ago.  I personally miss them.  Many of the chartered groups became senior squadrons.  Each of them is quite different from the next.  My unit operates many activities that we open to anyone whom may be interested in attending.  The three activities that we host on a set annual schedule are as follows:

• Wisconsin Wing's Military Ball ~ held at the War Memorial & Art Museum on Milwaukee's lake front
  • Aerospace Education Weekend ~ held at the CAP hanger at Oshkosh's Wittman Regional Airport
  • Cadex (a cadet run practice ES mission) ~ held at the Kettle Moraine State Forest.

We operate other training as needed, like SLSs, CLCs, etc...

We will also go into other squadrons, as requested, and help them.  At one time I ran AE programs for 2 other units who did not have an active AEO.  In short we help where ever we can.  We have been called gluttons for punishment.[/list]
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

Matt

Oh Dear God, what have I done....
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

Quote from: WICAPMOM on August 22, 2005, 08:02:25 PM
    COOL, a chance to advertise:

I am sure that it would differ from place to place as there is no official "Senior Support Squadron" definition.

In Wisconsin they did away with groups some years ago.  I personally miss them.  Many of the chartered groups became senior squadrons.  Each of them is quite different from the next.  My unit operates many activities that we open to anyone whom may be interested in attending.  The three activities that we host on a set annual schedule are as follows:

• Wisconsin Wing's Military Ball ~ held at the War Memorial & Art Museum on Milwaukee's lake front
    • Aerospace Education Weekend ~ held at the CAP hanger at Oshkosh's Wittman Regional Airport
    • Cadex (a cadet run practice ES mission) ~ held at the Kettle Moraine State Forest.

We operate other training as needed, like SLSs, CLCs, etc...

We will also go into other squadrons, as requested, and help them.  At one time I ran AE programs for 2 other units who did not have an active AEO.  In short we help where ever we can.  We have been called gluttons for punishment.[/list]

Very cool concept.  I like it very much.  :)

I think you very well may be gluttons for punishment, though...  ;)

WICAPMOM

True, but I see you may be just as much of a glutton for punishment. With the web sites and chat rooms you administrate over, they can take up a lot of time.

Honestly I love what I do!  I volunteer my time as an officer for: CAP, Girl Scouts, & Boy Scouts.

If you are are ever in Wisconsin and wish to attend one of the events email me and I will give you the details.  The times & locations are on my squadrons web site.
    ::)
    Julie Anne
    Major, CAP ~ Commander

Xeno

Quote from: WICAPMOM on August 23, 2005, 06:36:31 PM
    True, but I see you may be just as much of a glutton for punishment.

Truth be told, we all are.
    We do the jobs normal folks get paid quite a pretty penny to do, and we do it all for free.

We need a union. ;D
    C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
    C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

thefischNX01

Yo
    Flight Officer Colin Fischer from Chestertown MD
    Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
    Deputy Commander for Cadets
    Easton Composite Sqdn
    Maryland Wing
    http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

shorning

Yo-yo...

[sing]...everyone loves a Slinky....[/sing] :D

Pylon

Quote from: thefischNX01
    Yo
    Flight Officer Colin Fischer from Chestertown MD

Hey -- welcome to CAPTalk, Flight Officer.   :)

thefischNX01

Thank you, sirs. 

I hope that I can get some Ideas for my Aerospace Ed lessons, because I'm running out.   :-\
    Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
    Deputy Commander for Cadets
    Easton Composite Sqdn
    Maryland Wing
    http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

Pylon

Quote from: thefischNX01 on September 03, 2005, 05:29:37 AM
    Thank you, sirs. 

I hope that I can get some Ideas for my Aerospace Ed lessons, because I'm running out.   :-\

Well -- we're here to be of service.  Go right ahead and start a new topic about it.  Tell us what you've done, what interests your squadron has, and that you're looking for ideas.  There will always be some of us here willing to offer experience and ideas.  :)

Head on over to the Aerospace Education forum (listed on the main page), and post your new topic there.  It'll be sure to garner some good responses! 

Bugsmasher

Hey, y'all.  I recently found this site, and figured I should quit lurking and get active on it.  Hence, this introduction.

I've first joined CAP in 1966, when I was taking flying lessons at Dalton Airport in Flushing, Michigan.  When I moved to Florida in 1968, I let my membership lapse in order to concentrate on learning my new job as an Air Traffic Controller in Miami.

I rejoined CAP in 1979 when I was contacted by a Cadet Major who was looking for a flight instructor for his solo scholarship.  I have enjoyed continuous membership since then, even during a couple of times when I burnt out and went inactive.

I've had the opportunity to serve in a number of different positions, including commander of Cadet, Senior and Composite Squadrons.  I'm presently living in the mountains of northern Georgia, where I serve CAP as a Group Commander.

It's great to meet all you folks, and I look forward to posting more as time permits.

Wayne Roshaven, Lt Col, CAP
    Commander, Group 2 GAWG
    Wayne S. Roshaven, Lt Col, CAP
    Commander, Group 2 GAWG