Main Menu

Online SLS, CLC, UCC

Started by hfriday, July 27, 2018, 01:14:27 PM

hfriday

I have recently been appointed my squadron's professional development officer, but I'm not yet eligible for 2d LT rank, so I'm brand-spanking-new.

Has anyone tried the Squadron Leadership School, Corporate Leadership Course, or Unit Commanders Course being offered online via eServices? My wing isn't offering much in the near future, and I'm trying to get my squadron up to speed. But, like most of you, we all have obligations and can't just drop everything for two consecutive weekend online sessions of several hours each.

Are they sit-down-at-this-time-on-this-date-for-material courses, or are they more like do-these-things-over-the-course-of-the-next-week kinds of things? If the timing is flexible, I can get a lot more guys - myself included - to sign up.

Thanks!

Eclipse

None of the classes you indicate are multi-weekend.

The online versions are multi-week (~8) online situations where you log into a group teaching / conference site
and participate with other members.

All must be approved by your Wing to participate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Good morning.

I took SLS and CLC by distance learning.  Personally, I would have preferred to take CLC in-person - the interactions are very helpful and you get it done.  Both of the on-line offerings took weeks to complete, extending the "pain" if you will.  That said, neither took an inordinate amount of time out of my day.  I only took the online version due to work commitments.

Both work in the same manner: the class runs over a fixed block of time and you will have deadlines to meet for each module.  In the CLC you will work in a learning group at least twice, cooperating on a project via the discussion board - that's painful if your group isn't tuned in to that style of learning and working.  You can easily end up doing the lifting with everyone else arriving at (literally) the eleventh hour and scooping their credit.

Personally, I am a fan of in-person attendance and you should definitely consider that if you have aspirations for higher command appointments in the organization - the networking and interactions are invaluable.  Nevertheless, doing the training is the the goal.  Like anything else, buyer beware.

If your Wing is running the training you **may** encounter some concerns about approving online options, to encourage the in-person attendance.

I see that Eclipse posted whilst I was writing; I agree with his summation.  Its either a weekend per class or multiple evenings / lunch breaks/whatever.  Don't allow the perceived obstacles to stop people completing the training!!

PM me if you want more info.

Eclipse

Quote from: hfriday on July 27, 2018, 01:14:27 PMMy wing isn't offering much in the near future

Offer to host one and show them yo have enough people in your unit / group to make the effort worthwhile.

Wings are supposed to offer these classes multiple times a year around the wing so it's not a hassle to participate.
You could also go to other wings if they are closer to you.

"That Others May Zoom"

hfriday

Thank you both. I believe both SLS and CLC were offered early in the year, when I was only visiting the squadron as a guest to see what it was all about, with the UCC not in the mix this fiscal year. Our wing is small up here in little Vermont, and our unit a small one even by standards of the wing, so I'll have to wait until the 2019 training calendar comes out, I think, to see what's offered next year. Not having had a PDO for the unit until like three days ago, this stuff just hasn't been on their radar.

You have convinced me to do it "live," though; especially in a small wing, it's probably best to get to know everyone you possibly can!

Thanks again for helping the new guy!

arajca

You can still offer to host one. Doing so takes a bit pressure off wing to find a location and you can schedule it to be more convenient for your unit's members. This is especially nice if the classes are usually held on the opposite end of the state.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: arajca on July 27, 2018, 03:43:16 PM
You can still offer to host one. Doing so takes a bit pressure off wing to find a location and you can schedule it to be more convenient for your unit's members. This is especially nice if the classes are usually held on the opposite end of the state.

FWIW: that's what we did, with help from the local University who offered the classroom space free of charge with a minimal charge for lunch and coffee.

arajca

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on July 30, 2018, 12:18:09 PM
Quote from: arajca on July 27, 2018, 03:43:16 PM

FWIW: that's what we did, with help from the local University who offered the classroom space free of charge with a minimal charge for lunch and coffee.
Actually, that is worth a lot.

EMT-83

I got a hotel conference center to donate a conference room for SLS, along with discounted room rates. Our only obligation was food service, which was a few dollars per person. We would have paid that for coffee and bagels anyway, so the continental breakfast and afternoon snacks were a great deal.

Weekends are slow for conference space around here, the Vermont tourist trade might be different

NIN

Come down the road to New Hampshire,  i can share our training calendar with you
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Holding Pattern

I took the SLS online. I audited an in person SLS. I preferred the in-person.

I took the CLC in person. I wish I took it online.

TheSkyHornet

As someone who taught SLS in-person, you can't beat the real-time human interaction

jjmalott

As someone who has taught SLS/CLC in-person and online (and completed UCC online), they both have something to offer

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

hfriday

Thanks, all. I was talking to a member of the squadron today who said that offering to host might be viable. Since almost all our squadron's members are at a professional development bottleneck between 2dLT and 1stLT, getting everyone at once would really facilitate things for us.

hfriday

NIN in NH - we're considering reaching out to other states, but the protocol seems to require wing approval from both ends for such a arrangement. That has presented a challenge in the past, I'm led to understand.

RiChArD7032

I've done the SLS online and I've registered for the UCC.  I've taken several online classes in the past for College.  I really don't like them much, but they typically are "easier" to pass.  For CAP, the SLS would have been better in person but there wasn't any offered in my Wing.  Do what you can do...see about hosting because that would help your unit as a whole.  Good luck.

MacGruff

RiChArD7032 - Look for an SLS offered by a close wing?

I recall a case of a Delaware member taking the class in Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh, no less!) about a year ago...

:angel:

jb512

I completed SLS online this summer and it served its purpose but it can't replace the face-to-face contacts that are necessary in the organization. Because of the nature of what we do, it helps tremendously to be able to put a face to a name when it comes to making contacts.

The assignments were informative but I think that a weekend of discussion between students and a knowledgeable instructor would benefit members especially at the lower levels.