You thought getting promoted in CAP cost a bundle at Vanguard?

Started by NIN, January 18, 2013, 05:46:53 AM

FlyTiger77

Quote from: NIN on January 23, 2013, 02:49:34 PM
...We wore the "Warding Eye" Regimental crest...

I still wear that as my regimental crest. Not the most attractive piece of heraldry, but it works.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 23, 2013, 04:16:26 PM

On disks, with the light blue Infantry backing, yes?  My dad was quite proud that his "U.S." and "cross-guns" (as he called them) had the blue backing.

See attached picture.

Quote from: Stonewall on January 23, 2013, 03:00:42 PM
Colonel Hunt was a BAMF.  A soldier's soldier.

Quote from: CyBorg on January 23, 2013, 04:16:26 PM
He certainly looks it.  Is he still living?

I'm sure he is.  Soldiers like him don't really ever die.  He should be in his 70s though.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on January 23, 2013, 05:07:37 PM
Quote from: NIN on January 23, 2013, 02:49:34 PM
...We wore the "Warding Eye" Regimental crest...

I still wear that as my regimental crest. Not the most attractive piece of heraldry, but it works.

Regimental affiliation is not something that was well understood in the USAC, but those of us who are regimentally affiliated are CRAZY about it >:)

We're positively regiMENTAL. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PaulR

Actually, most Soviets did not have more than a couple of medals.  Those photos are of veterans/retirees/pensioners, who are allowed to wear whatever they want as far as commemorative medals.   As far as I am concerned, after everything they dealt with in WW2, I feel that these are not even enough.  These days, the typical Russian may have an Achievement Award and Long Service medals after an entire career.

For example, the ArtilleryWarrant  Officer in the top photo below has only five legit awards.  The rest are all unofficial medals and pins. 

The old timer on the bottom photo, to the left, has two official awards that I can see.  The rest are all unofficial commemoratives.  The young paratrooper and Afghan vet on the right is actually highly decorated, with four official medals(Bravery Medal, Combat Merit Medal, and two Campaign medals).

I think that those N. Korean(?) officers are ridiculous looking, especially since they have not been in any combat in over 60 years. 

quote author=usafaux2004 link=topic=16807.msg302770#msg302770 date=1358489568]
There are a lot of WW2 Soviet vets who look similar. That's what happens when every 5 years there's a commemorative medal for WW2.

[/quote]

Майор Хаткевич

Every May the Russian government makes commemorative stuff. Most vets get it. Don't disagree with it, but eventually it looks....funny.