Main Menu

tips for first-timers

Started by whatevah, February 24, 2005, 09:01:25 PM

whatevah

Since encampment season is coming up, how about posting your tips for first-time attendees (aka basics) to encampment?

first tip... take only what the packing sheet says, and don't try bringing any junk food (aka contraband), unless you just want to give it to the staff. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Greg

If it's on your uniform, know how to wear it correctly.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Schmidty06

Don't try anything too mischievious, because the staff and senior members probably invented the prank or spirit mission that you are going to try.  Thus, you lose to experience.

Cmdbuddy

Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Schmidty06

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on February 24, 2005, 11:43:16 PM
Shut up and listen

Amen, I need to get my cadets in my flight right now to understand this.

Greg

Shut up and listen

Also along those lines- don't try to prove to the staff how much you know.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

MIKE

If you want to live... While at encampment never ever say: "But we don't do it this way at my squadron."

Conversely, while at your squadron never ever say: "But, we learned to it this way encampment."
Mike Johnston

Yoda

Try not to be annoying.  You never know where a certain C/UB will pop up, or who's orders he'll be acting on... ;)

MIKE

Quote from: Yoda on February 25, 2005, 03:54:54 AM
Try not to be annoying.  You never know where a certain C/UB will pop up, or who's orders he'll be acting on... ;)

This is off topic but, Fenner what the heck is a C/UB and why are you not representing yourself with your real grade?

I know it is meant to be funny, but I'm not finding it so.
Mike Johnston

whatevah

Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

Quote from: whatevah on February 25, 2005, 04:43:47 AM
*psst* private messaging.  ;)

Yeah... Sorry... He mentioned it in his post so I just hit reply figuring it was somewhat relevant.
Mike Johnston

Smitty

Don't piss me off. ;D 

Seriously, just take everything day by day and just realize the staff is there to do a job.  Pay attention and learn all that you can.
Former TFO, CAP
Mitchell #51,062
Juris Doctor Candidate, Touro Law Center

Da Big Daddy K

BOHICA
The most one learns in the military is when one has no rank or responsibility so one can concentrate on learning

JaL5597

Don't take everything that is said personally.

I have had basics freak out on me because I was giving instruction with my command voice and well thats not what they expected.

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: JaL5597 on March 14, 2005, 05:14:52 PM

I have had basics freak out on me because I was giving instruction with my command voice and well thats not what they expected.

Tip for staff: your "command voice" is rarely necessary, and even less so, effective.  A little whispering goes a long way!

Back to the first timers: The purpose of Encampment is to learn.  Go there with an open mind.  And most importantly, have fun.  I truly believe that Encampment is the number one retention item in CAP, because it is catered for the new cadets.  Yea, IACE will keep me in CAP, but if I've been in for 5 years already, it's not likely that I will quit. 

Staff, you need to realize that your purpose at Encampment is not to practice being a drill sergeant.  Your job is to create an atmosphere conducive to learning in a teamwork atmosphere.  People say that Encampment is made to break cadets down to be lower than dirt, and then build them up to be a better cadet.  This is not the atmosphere that should occur at Encampment- rather, you should skip the whole "breaking down" process. 

Comments?
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

JaL5597

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on March 14, 2005, 11:00:10 PM
Quote from: JaL5597 on March 14, 2005, 05:14:52 PM

Tip for staff: your "command voice" is rarely necessary, and even less so, effective.  A little whispering goes a long way!

Back to the first timers: The purpose of Encampment is to learn.  Go there with an open mind.  And most importantly, have fun.  I truly believe that Encampment is the number one retention item in CAP, because it is catered for the new cadets.  Yea, IACE will keep me in CAP, but if I've been in for 5 years already, it's not likely that I will quit. 

Staff, you need to realize that your purpose at Encampment is not to practice being a drill sergeant.  Your job is to create an atmosphere conducive to learning in a teamwork atmosphere.  People say that Encampment is made to break cadets down to be lower than dirt, and then build them up to be a better cadet.  This is not the atmosphere that should occur at Encampment- rather, you should skip the whole "breaking down" process. 

Comments?

Obviously your command voice is not the most effective.  I was trying to simply get instructions to cadets during the reception process.  And well a loud vocal senior member was not what they expected and cadets started to go loopy at that point.

Thats why I said don't take things personally.  I know the sort of horror stories that cadets are told and I guess that I just hit the right buttons with a few of those cadets. 

Using Gunny Hartman as your encampment rolemodel is not a good idea and pretty much guarntees your gonna be going home very quickly.

zigner2007

Be ready for long days and PT, remember silent and listen are spelt with the same letters, prevent blisters but bring plenty of moleskin, learn lots and definently have fun.

Major_Chuck

Have Fun.   ;)

Learn what you can, be safe, and enjoy the experience.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Yoda

Quote from: MIKE on February 25, 2005, 04:33:16 AM
Quote from: Yoda on February 25, 2005, 03:54:54 AM

This is off topic but, Fenner what the heck is a C/UB and why are you not representing yourself with your real grade?

I know it is meant to be funny, but I'm not finding it so.
C/UB is Cadet Undercover Basic.  It stems from an inside joke in an IM a while back.  Because I had complained about people using fake grades in conjunction with CAP a while back, I dropped the ", CAP" from the end of the grade title.

Not everybody will find it funny or amusing.  It entertains me though, which is enough reason for me to keep it.

SAR junkie

Quote from: Greg on February 24, 2005, 11:56:22 PM
Shut up and listen

Also along those lines- don't try to prove to the staff how much you know.

hehe
Speaking from experience on both counts. I just went to the GLR Southern encampment in Greenville Kentucky. I am a MSgt and my flight SGT was just a SSgt. And the fact that I am the C/CC at my squadron back home, well lets just say it didnt help me much.

My CMSgt from my squadron was also attending basic encampment with me. He caught alot of flak. We didnt go against what our Flight Sgt. was saying...much. but we both felt we knew more than him. not because of rank but simply from experience.

My CMSgt had issues with shutting up and listening...and i had a problem with not showing how much i knew to the Cadres. oh well im through it now and next year i can go back and be a Cadre.  ::)

i definitly suggest going to the first encampment that becomes avalible to you because you will get more, LOTS MORE out of the basic encampment experience if you are brand new. out of my squadron i had three airmen go. and actually two of those three have been in for close to two years now. but the third one, he has learned so much. anyways my point is that "green cadets" (newbies) get way more out of it, so go as early as you can.

P.S. DO NOT try to prove to your Cadres that your uniform is correct even with the revised version of 39-1 because i did...and it didnt go over too well.  :-\
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC
Centenary Composite Squadron ~KY058~

search and rescue all the way!