SM/Officer first time experience at encampments new to CAP, stories.

Started by mynetdude, March 18, 2008, 06:23:21 AM

mynetdude

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 24, 2008, 06:14:08 PM
I am sorry to say but assigning Cadet to mess hall as staff is silly.  They are paying to be there, and unless they are doing more than clearing trays and moping the floor, it is a waste of that cadets time.

Yeah and I am sure your attention to detail will prove otherwise ;), I never said they were assigned.  Infact no one was assigned, one of our cadet staff just decided to help with the mess hall stuff on his own so the encampment staff was fine with that as long as the ANG guys were.

Only one cadet got assigned to the mess hall for misconduct, I am sure as heck I probably would have gotten the same duty assignment had I woke up late the next day after I got my chops busted and fortunately I was up on time :D and no I am not a cadet :).

DNall

Quote from: edmo1 on March 24, 2008, 06:17:54 PM
We had each flight take two turns taking mess hall duties. With the whole flight working it usually only took about 15-30 minutes for the hall to be clean and the dishes to be done.
Last one I was at we had 2 cadets assigned on staff. They served & directed. I'd very much agree that they shouldn't have to pay to do that duty. They did supervise the duty flight though.

The first flight (rotated each meal) finished eating & then took over serving & cleaning during & after chow. Worked out very well. I have to give a lot of credit to one of our other TACs (Lt Owens) who re-arranged the chow hall & created a VERY efficient flowing system. It's absolutely priceless to have a couple real NCOs around fixing tactical problems rather than everyone trying to look at the bigger picture. His system gave everyone time to eat & put the whole encampment thru the DFAC in half the time. Also put flt TAC with Flt/CC & Sgt for each meal, which was a real nice touch.