Main Menu

Encampment Photos

Started by LtCol White, June 28, 2007, 11:59:07 PM

Cecil DP

Quote from: Jolt on September 05, 2008, 03:54:57 AM
Here are all of our pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nercadetacademy/

I didn't feel like picking any.

Over a thousand pictures, not one caption.

Was that Camp Edwards??
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

dwb

Quote from: Jolt on September 05, 2008, 03:54:57 AM
Here are all of our pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nercadetacademy/

I didn't feel like picking any.

From that site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nercadetacademy/2829795108/

I never understood this.  Is it just a control thing?  "We're going to make you read in this impractical and uncomfortable way because we can!!!"

I'm all for brushing up on general knowledge, but why not have the cadets quiz each other, so they can learn from each other and get some socialization?

MIKE

Monkey see, monkey do?

I'd agree though that encampment could do without a lot of the fluff.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

That pic isn't CAP.

Quote from: dwb on September 05, 2008, 06:36:36 PM
I'm all for brushing up on general knowledge, but why not have the cadets quiz each other, so they can learn from each other and get some socialization?

That's not what they are there for, especially at a basic encampment.

The whole point is to try an instill some basic military-style discipline and bring them to the level the program expects for a basic cadet, not engender a bull session around the fire, there are plenty of opportunities for that during their unit meetings and different activities.

In a lot of cases, the only time cadets get anything close to the level of discipline and structure the program is supposed to provide is during an encampment environment.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Jolt

Cadets were strongly encouraged to read and quiz each other on the information in their booklets at other times.  The reason we have them read in line is because it's something they can do without talking and they may  be able to at least find the answers to some of the questions they've had during the day while they're waiting for the cadets in front of them to get food.

Eclipse

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 22, 2008, 07:17:55 AM
Quote from: BCC ICP on August 21, 2008, 10:16:49 AM

Ooo this is a good pic. We have our Chow line and our Cadet Commander Col. Jake Reed.

I like the hats with the hard rank.  Not many people here like the ranger roll, but when done with a black hat and the old school hard rank on it, it looks pretty sharp.

What it actually looks like is a cadet who supposedly climbed to the top of the corps and attained its highest achievement
can't even obey some of the most simple, straightforward regulations in the program.

No rolls (explicitly and clearly prohibited).
No metal grade on ball caps (explicitly and clear prohibited)

The example he sets will be emulated and cited by myriad cadets when they get to their home units to the consternation
of the members there that have actually read 39-1.   :(

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2008, 07:16:59 PMIn a lot of cases, the only time cadets get anything close to the level of discipline and structure the program is supposed to provide is during an encampment environment.

Right, but making them hold their OI a particular way isn't discipline; it's a demonstration of the authority that the staff holds over the cadets.

It's a "because I said so" thing, not a "because it will make you a better cadet/citizen/Dynamic American and Aerospace Leader" thing.

(edited to add: I have no problem with cadets studying their OIs during idle time)

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on September 05, 2008, 07:44:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2008, 07:16:59 PMIn a lot of cases, the only time cadets get anything close to the level of discipline and structure the program is supposed to provide is during an encampment environment.

Right, but making them hold their OI a particular way isn't discipline; it's a demonstration of the authority that the staff holds over the cadets.

It's a "because I said so" thing, not a "because it will make you a better cadet/citizen/Dynamic American and Aerospace Leader" thing.

(edited to add: I have no problem with cadets studying their OIs during idle time)

A lot of paramilitary training is "because I said so" with the intention of instilling unquestioning discipline.  How much unquestioning discipline is necessary in CAP is certainly up for discussion, but we are emulating regular military programs.

As mentioned above, some of it is about them settling down and being quiet, and it is nearly impossible to read something at attention or even ease without slouching unless you do something like the above.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jolt

Quote from: dwb on September 05, 2008, 07:44:15 PM

My view on the situation is that they're going to be idle while they're waiting in line, so it makes sense to give them something to do that at least has the potential of being constructive.  I don't feel that holding the OIs in a certain way is a demonstration of authority, but more of a standardization.  They aren't standing that way for all that long, and I don't really find it uncomfortable.  It's parade rest, but their right arm is in the air.  I don't recall any staff members even checking to make sure elbows were up after the first day (probably the most uncomfortable part of the whole deal).

Regardless, if that's the worst problem any of you can find with the encampment, then I'm pretty happy.  ;D

dwb

Reasonable minds will differ, but I find the standard way of holding an OI to be in the same category as snapping up against a wall, or saying things like "sir, this cadet has a question, sir".

The military atmosphere thing suffers from diminishing returns.  You get a lot of benefit from a certain amount of discipline and submission to authority, and after that, it just gets silly.

To each (Wing/Region) his own, I guess.

NIN

http://picasaweb.google.com/LTCLand/BestOfAT2008#

Oh, wait, you wanted _ENCAMPMENT_ photos...
(either way, I snapped about half of these..)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Jolt

Does NKA stand for something other than "No Known Allergies?"

dwb

Jolt

All of the Army Cadets seem to have an "NKA" patch on their left shoulder and I'm wondering what it means.

MitchCat

At WAWG's Basic encampment (CFXIII), we held our SOPs (same thing as OIs) right in front of our face, but our arms were down perpendicular to the ground, parallel to the body.  This way, we could NEVER complain of our arms hurting or getting tired, it could still be standardized, and still take a chew-out to get it right.  For some, that is. :) I mean, nobody from Charlie ever complained about it, and I think the reason being is that it was so easy, if you complained, you'd get chewed out by the flight staff.   ;)
Catherine "Cat" G. Sedy, C/TSgt, CAP
Bravo Flight Sergeant
Peninsula Composite Squadron, PCR-WA-051
Encampment Honor Cadet, CFXIII Summer 2008
Ground and Urban Direction Finding Team Task O-0102-3-f: ...Sleep whenever possible.

DC

Quote from: Jolt on September 05, 2008, 08:37:02 PM
All of the Army Cadets seem to have an "NKA" patch on their left shoulder and I'm wondering what it means.
From the Army Cadets uniform manual

Quote from: ACR 670-1h. Wear of Blood Type and Allergies Tapes on the Army Combat Uniform.
(1) Cadets will wear a tape with any known allergies, or "NKA," indicating no
known allergies, on the lower portion of the left sleeve pocket flap of the ACU coat
(including the soft shell jacket and wind shirt). Allergy designations for the tapes are
as follows:
(a) NKA. No known allergies.
(b) NKDA. No known drug allergies.
(c) NO ABX. No antibiotics.
(d) NO ASA. No aspirin.
(e) NO PCN. No penicillin.
(2) Cadets will wear a tape with "CADET" on the upper portion of the left
sleeve pocket flap of the ACU, as depicted in Figure 4-1.
(3) Members of the USAC Officers' Corps will not wear blood type or allergy
tapes on the ACU. They are encouraged to wear personal identification tags ("dog
tags"), which include blood type and allergy information.

Kerrbie

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2008, 07:30:11 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on August 22, 2008, 07:17:55 AM
Quote from: BCC ICP on August 21, 2008, 10:16:49 AM

Ooo this is a good pic. We have our Chow line and our Cadet Commander Col. Jake Reed.

I like the hats with the hard rank.  Not many people here like the ranger roll, but when done with a black hat and the old school hard rank on it, it looks pretty sharp.

What it actually looks like is a cadet who supposedly climbed to the top of the corps and attained its highest achievement
can't even obey some of the most simple, straightforward regulations in the program.

No rolls (explicitly and clearly prohibited).
No metal grade on ball caps (explicitly and clear prohibited)

The example he sets will be emulated and cited by myriad cadets when they get to their home units to the consternation
of the members there that have actually read 39-1.   :(

We know the regulations Tri-Wing is the only place where we staff have our hats like this. It differs us from the cadets. The only time this hat is worn is at encampment. (there not ball caps btw) Cadets don't get these hats they were their normal (well now black ball caps with our gold unit numbers on them and you cant roll thoes.
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: BCC ICP on October 19, 2008, 10:42:03 PM
We know the regulations Tri-Wing is the only place where we staff have our hats like this. It differs us from the cadets. The only time this hat is worn is at encampment. (there not ball caps btw) Cadets don't get these hats they were their normal (well now black ball caps with our gold unit numbers on them and you cant roll thoes.

Is that English?    ???