Hydration Checks/Chants at Encampment

Started by MCRmy, June 12, 2011, 03:26:31 AM

MCRmy

I'm not sure about other wings but at MAWG encampment each flight always has a different response when the Flt/CC or Flt/Sgt say: (flight name) hydrate!
2007 Bravo: Permission to pop the top?!
2010 192 CTS: Like a boss!
"I am not a ma'am!!!!"- MAWG 2007 Encampment

titanII

Flt Sgt: "Hydrate!"
Flight: "H 2 Oh Yeah, Sergeant!"
*this wasn't at a MAWG Encampment, despite my unit
No longer active on CAP talk

MCRmy

2007 CTSS: Tonight we dine in hell! (from 300)
"I am not a ma'am!!!!"- MAWG 2007 Encampment

JROB

At my basic encampment in 2009 Alpha Flight's was

Flt Sgt: Hydrate
Flight: Water, Water good for me. Water, Water makes me......

The flight that I was a TAC for at TXWG winter encampment used it too.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

HGjunkie

India Flight, Hydrate!
WATER MAKES THE BLOOD FLOW, BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW, HOORAH!

I miss being a doolie sometimes...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ol'fido

I really don't care what the cadets say when they drink water. I just don't really want to see one of those cadets that seems to have the mouthpiece of their camelbak surgically attached to their lips. We seem to have one every year at encampment. If you take a drink every now and then, it hydrating. If you constantly walk around sucking on the thing, I think you might be missing your "binky". ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Huey Driver

NJWG BE 2010 Echo Flight:
Flt Sgt: Echo Flight DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!
Flt: (Submarine diving klaxon) OOOGA, OOOGA, OOOGA! (We did this while going down and squatting and holding our noses)
Flt Sgt: HYDRATE!
Flt: Ahhhhh

Pretty, uh, different. Haha
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Spaceman3750

I always thought this was sufficient:

FC/FS: HYDRATE.

FLIGHT: *sticks the Camelbak hose into their mouth*

End of chant...

PHall

I just tell the Flight Staff of the Flight that I am the Tac for that it will be doom on them if any of the cadets in their care has a problem because they're dehydrated.
Haven't had a problem yet. (knock on wood)

Slim

Quote from: ol'fido on June 12, 2011, 07:15:07 PM
I really don't care what the cadets say when they drink water. I just don't really want to see one of those cadets that seems to have the mouthpiece of their camelbak surgically attached to their lips.

That's easy to solve, don't allow them.  Solves all kinds of problems, the constant nursing is but one of them.  It also eliminates:

• "Mom, I need a new camel back for encampment."  "What's wrong with the red and black one we just bought you for Christmas?"  "The regulations say it has to be black, brown or camoflage."  "Great.....another $50 bucks down the drain."
  • "Cadet, that camel back doesn't comply with 39-1."  "But....but...Siiiir ([/whine]), the 39-1 says woodland camoflage is allowed."  "Cadet, I really don't think the spirit or intent of that line is to allow MARPAT woodland."  Could also be used for cadets bringing desert camo.
  • Bunches of cadets walking around with a VW beetle on their backs.
And, my personal favorite:

• "I'm sorry sir, I don't own a pistol belt and canteen, all I have is my camel back."  "No problem, Cadet.  Step right over there and our logistics officer will be happy to issue you a canteen, cover and pistol belt to use for the week."

Slim

BillB

In the twenty some-odd encampments I've attended including six I commanded,  I do NOT recall any case of a cadet having problems resulting from hydration. Of those encampments, only two required camelbacks. All the others either required one canteen and web belt or no canteen. Cadets were encouraged to drink water at every meal, and given the opportunity for water during the mid-morning or mid-afternoon breaks.
At the last encampment I was at (as a TV journalist) about every five minutes the cadet Flight Sgt yelled "Hydrate" while the cadets were in line entering the mess hall. It appears CAP has taken hydration to an extreme.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

capchiro

Last years Georgia Wing Encampment had 80 cadets fall out due to dehydration according to the medic at the encampment.  Of course they also wore their BDU sleeves down all the time because they were on an Army post and that is what the Army Reg's called for..  Death of all common sense as we know it.. outstanding..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Eclipse

Quote from: capchiro on June 13, 2011, 05:35:57 PM
Last years Georgia Wing Encampment had 80 cadets fall out due to dehydration according to the medic at the encampment.  Of course they also wore their BDU sleeves down all the time because they were on an Army post and that is what the Army Reg's called for..  Death of all common sense as we know it.. outstanding..

How do Army regs affect CAP activities?

I don't agree that the sleeve issue is really a factor, especially with numbers like those, but host facilities do not dictate our uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

capchiro

Seems like the Encampment Commander decided the Post governed since we were a guest on the Post.  When the medic argued with him he said that was the way it would be because the Army insisted on it.   Probably didn't want any of our 12 year olds in BDU's to be mistaken for his macho rangers in ACU's would be my guess??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Eclipse

Encampment commanders do a lot of things for various reasons, sometimes the pressure and stress get to them and they crack open
like the soft-boiled eggs that they are.

So what did the seniors who don't own BDU's do?  Sleeves down on their short sleeved golf shirt?
What were all the civilians on base doing?

Sleeves-down isn't going to distinguish anyone from anybody.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Either way, sleeves DOWN is actually a better option than sleeves up.

If 80 cadets (out of how many? 100? 200?) dropped from dehydration, it means that they didn't get enough water, not that they sweated too much.

titanII

Well, let's see. Dehydration is caused by a lack of water. In hot temperatures, sleeves down will cause some to sweat. Sweating makes you lose water. Losing water makes you dehydrated. Not drinking enough water is another cause for dehydration- not the only one.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: titanII on June 13, 2011, 10:02:35 PM
Well, let's see. Dehydration is caused by a lack of water. In hot temperatures, sleeves down will cause some to sweat. Sweating makes you lose water. Losing water makes you dehydrated. Not drinking enough water is another cause for dehydration- not the only one.

Sleeves down gives MORE circulation, not less.

SarDragon

I burn easily, so I almost never have my sleeves up. I have never had hydration issues because of it, and I don't notice any differences in sweating between wearing long and short sleeve shirts. I live in SoCal, and it gets a bit warm here. A couple of summers ago, it was 113 here at the house. Stayed inside all day.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

titanII

Quote from: USAFaux2004 link=topic=13153.msg238421#msg238421
Sleeves down gives MORE circulation, not less.
/quote]
circulation of what? I'm not saying that sleeves down is bad, I'm just saying that you'd probably have to compensate by drinking more water to replenish the water lost by the increased sweating.